Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Can you clean the carb without taking it off?

So I may have let the bike sit too long... and the carb has gotten gummed up. I have been able to get her to crank and run for a second or 2 with some starter but that’s it. Is there any way I can clean the carb without taking the tank off and rebuilding it? Is there a vent on the carb that I can spray carb cleaner into to clean it out? Any info would be great! Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 AM   #2

I wish!

I'm going through this on a Kaw EN500, and those carbs are a lot easier to get to.

Which bike do you have?

I'll point you to the info you need to only have to the job once, unlike me.

I've picked up a bit of understanding of the CVK (They're unlike normal carbs) after dealing with this issue.
VBA 936

Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggins1985 View Post
So I may have let the bike sit too long... and the carb has gotten gummed up. I have been able to get her to crank and run for a second or 2 with some starter but that’s it. Is there any way I can clean the carb without taking the tank off and rebuilding it? Is there a vent on the carb that I can spray carb cleaner into to clean it out? Any info would be great! Thanks.
How long has it stood for mate.And at the risk of stating the obvious,you have turned the petrol tap back on,have'nt you.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Fill it with Sea Foam and let it sit a few days. Try it again and if any improvement, do it again for a few more days. You've got nothing to lose if it doesn't work. If it does work, think how much you've saved in time, money, cursing, throwing parts and tools against the wall, skinning your knuckles, etc. and send me a large check.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
Fill it with Sea Foam and let it sit a few days. Try it again and if any improvement, do it again for a few more days. You've got nothing to lose if it doesn't work. If it does work, think how much you've saved in time, money, cursing, throwing parts and tools against the wall, skinning your knuckles, etc. and send me a large check.
It only takes about 15 minutes to get the carb off.An hour is all it takes to pull it apart, clean it, put the bike back together.Hook the jets out and blow through them,clean the bowl,and you are done.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Only if you have real skinny fingers.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 11-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
Only if you have real skinny fingers.
Undo the speedo cable from the front wheel,to give you room to remove the housing on the tank.1x8mm bolt on the speedo housing.2x 12mm bolts holding the tank down,unplug the 3 plugs under the tank,there is one at the back that you might miss.Now you are done with that part.Remove the dog bowl,and backing plate.Disconect the throttle cables from the carb,unplug the TPS, and now you can fuck about as much as you like.I done it so many times,you could blindfold me.Just remembered,turn of the petrol,and pull the hose off.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #8

You forgot to disconnect the negative Battery Cable Mick !

Old 11-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
You forgot to disconnect the negative Battery Cable Mick !
Why would you need to do that,i never have.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

that is the 1st line in every manual / no matter what you are working on . LOL how to check your oil " disconnect the negative battery cable then remove the dipstick " . ETC.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
that is the 1st line in every manual / no matter what you are working on . LOL how to check your oil " disconnect the negative battery cable then remove the dipstick " . ETC.
I missed the initial humour mate.Winston Churchill said,we are 2 nations,divided by a common language..He was about right too