Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Digging out from Winter Storm Diego

One of the reasons I moved 600 miles south from northern Indiana to NC was to escape winter. Typically, my part of NC has 2 or 3 times a year where we get a little bit of ice and maybe a few inches of snow. Um, yeah. Not this time. 20" of snow where I live. This part of NC hasn't had a storm of this magnitude since '93. Normally, I make fun of the locals and call the "winter storms", North Carolina blzzards since that's kind of how the locals act, like it's a major event. In northern Indiana, those would be called Tuesdays.

So, I'm out all day Saturday, dressed like any normal non-work day (shorts, t shirt, jacket, boonie hat) shoveling snow. I finally stopped because I couldn't keep up. Work was closed Sunday (not that it mattered since I don't work w/e's) and today (which sucked since I DO work Mondays and have lots to do). I sort of understand that. I live at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains. It's pretty much straight up from here and there are quite a few people who live "just up the mountain" (which could be another 500-1000' of elevation). There aren't any major roads outside of town. (Actually, the ONLY "major" road around town is a nice divided 4 lane that runs directly to Winston-Salem, heading east. It's a 2 lane heading west and as all other roads around here, easterly bound runs straight up hill. :) )

I HATE snow and the only ice I want to see is in my tea.

Anyway, I'm done bitching. Just wanted to whine for a minute. :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #2
Administrator

I hear ya. I've always made fun of all my friends for moving south, but I'm hating winter more and more as I get older. lmao Used to love it, and still do to a point. January and February are the worst.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Here is what I figure when winter weather rolls around.
Yes we get tons of lake effect snow where I live.
There have been times when we get 3 feet in 24 hours.

If you do not know what lake effect snow is google it.
Yes I need a truck with a plow, a snowblower and a few shovels where I live.
But, when the snow melts in the spring, my house is still here. We don't get hurricanes or tornadoes or forest fires like the warmer climates.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Yeah, winter sucks and the older I get the more it sucks.
I used to be amazed when I was in college in Southern Illinois and there was a winter storm (1/2 inch of snow). Everything shut down. Being from northwestern Illinois this was crazy.

As soon as the boy graduates from college (hopefully 3 years), the wife and I plan to move to Tennessee. They won't tax my pension and milder winters.
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 12-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Steelers View Post
Yeah, winter sucks if you don't have insulated hunting boots and the older I get the more it sucks.
I used to be amazed when I was in college in Southern Illinois and there was a winter storm (1/2 inch of snow). Everything shut down. Being from northwestern Illinois this was crazy.

As soon as the boy graduates from college (hopefully 3 years), the wife and I plan to move to Tennessee. They won't tax my pension and milder winters.
I definitely agree with that winter sucks more and more as you get older. I used to love when I was younger. Not so much anymore. So much extra hassle in the winter...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by TerrellBen; 01-27-2024 at 10:16 AM.