Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #1

Rear Car Tire Pressure

Been checking on different sites about the car tires people are running on the rear of their Nomads. I have used the Dunlop SP5000 for the last 2 but only get about 23k miles out of them. Thought about trying a different brand tire but would like some input from others that has tried different brands. I have been running 24-26 lbs but the center wears out and on the other sites everyone has been running anywhere from32-40 lbs. Should I run more pressure and if I do would that solve the center wearing out way before the tread on either side does. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #2

Get some white liquid shoe polish. Get on a section of straight road. Pull over and put a white stripe across the tread area. Ride it straight for about a mile or so. stop and check the stripe. Worn off the middle is over inflation, worn off the edges is under inflation.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #3

been running 36psi for years
195/55/16
replacing every 2 years regardless of wear.
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 06-11-2020, 11:12 PM   #4

What do people think about the Hankook Optimo h426 car tire. Having a problem finding a Dunlop SP5000 that someone can give me a date code of the tire but can get the Hankook delivered through WallyWorld and if the date code isn’t recent then don’t have to take the tire. Any thoughts?

Old 06-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #5

What brand of tire do you run Scooter1600?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2020, 01:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmbt View Post
What brand of tire do you run Scooter1600?
Toyo proxis
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 06-12-2020, 05:48 AM   #7

I had a Vredestein tire on the rear for a few years and ran about 28 psi in it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
only get about 23k miles out of them
Only??? I'm happy to get 2300 out of a rear...have some perspective...!!!
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 06-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Been checking on different sites about the car tires people are running on the rear of their Nomads. I have used the Dunlop SP5000 for the last 2 but only get about 23k miles out of them. Thought about trying a different brand tire but would like some input from others that has tried different brands. I have been running 24-26 lbs but the center wears out and on the other sites everyone has been running anywhere from32-40 lbs. Should I run more pressure and if I do would that solve the center wearing out way before the tread on either side does. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
So I have a 2011 Vaquero.

I run a Yokohama Avid Ascend, 205-60-16.

Max tire pressure rating is 51 psi. I run 50 psi.

The previous one I had went a little over 28,000, and it had a lot of tread left.

This tire is also a tire rated as LLR, or light rolling resistance.

Your fuel mileage may drop a copula of mpg at first but then will go up past what you were getting originally.

At that high pressure it still is so soft ridding I don't feel the road reflectors.

I am sold on this tire.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
So I have a 2011 Vaquero.

I run a Yokohama Avid Ascend, 205-60-16.

Max tire pressure rating is 51 psi. I run 50 psi.

The previous one I had went a little over 28,000, and it had a lot of tread left.

This tire is also a tire rated as LLR, or light rolling resistance.

Your fuel mileage may drop a copula of mpg at first but then will go up past what you were getting originally.

At that high pressure it still is so soft ridding I don't feel the road reflectors.

I am sold on this tire.
I'd like to say I'm committed to the Shinko 777 club, but after reading this....might be going darkside again....
How hard was it to mount?, and was there clearance issues at the driveshaft/swingarm?
We need to know more.....We MUST Know More! (best Bela Lugosi voice....)

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 06-12-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
I'd like to say I'm committed to the Shinko 777 club, but after reading this....might be going darkside again....
How hard was it to mount?, and was there clearance issues at the driveshaft/swingarm?
We need to know more.....We MUST Know More! (best Bela Lugosi voice....)
The first time I mounted the tire it was a chore. I tried to mount it dry because I had put the balancing beads in prior to mounting. I couldn't get it to seat, and when it did,.....well I kinda jumped.

I ended up using a little soap if I remember correctly. It's a tight fit on the Vaquero rim.

I dumped the beads so I could use a proper mounting lube and went with a tire sealant called RIDE-ON. This one is for motorcycles. They make several different products which is application specific.

It also balances the tires automatically and really works when large nails or screws are involved. Trust me, I know.

On the clearance subject I didn't have to do anything more than shim the belt guard over with a washer, just could have been my personal preference of how I do my work.

There was plenty of clearance for the swing arm / tire on my skoot. I have read where riders would have a credit card thickness of clearance but it worked for them. Another rider used a ball pien hammer on the swing arm to create a little clearance for the tire.

http://darkside.nwff.info/ This site will give you a lot of information on the tires different riders are using. The data base will help with known tires used so you don't have to go out on a limb, unless you want to try something new like I did.

And the ride is superb. With 50 psi the tire, it is still so soft. No more road reflector impacts, don't even feel them.

The only thing I had to learn is to counter steer a little more. My skoot just doesn't want to lean over like it did. Been riding with it so long now I don't even think about it.

One other thing, and this could just be my setup because of my lightbar, trunk and rear weight dynamics, But when I go into highway turns at highway speeds, like 70 mph or so, I noticed a little wobble in the tracking. It is ever so slight.

I corrected this by relaxing the grip tightness of the hand that is on the high side when the skoot is leaned into the turn. That, for me is a mental reminder to relax the counter steer pressure and not to fight it. It doesn't happen now.

No more tracking issues.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #12

Found a Dunlop like I have used previously on Ebay through tire-easy and they couldn’t give me a date code but told me their policy was if for any reason I wasn’t happy I had 45 days to return the tire and that return shipping was provided by them so I won’t be out anything to at least get a look at the tire. 4 day shipping and guaranteed by Friday the 19th.