Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
A cup of diesel fuel or diesel oil??
Diesel fuel....

Just a thought....
For those that want to know.....they didn't have oil in bottles or cans in WWII....they used bulk oil, and cut it to weight with gas or diesel fuel for the jeeps and trucks that took a certain weight oil. Though the tanks and stuff weren't diesel, but the bulldozers & earthmoving equip. was.... the diesel was used to cut or thin the bulk oil or fuel oil....
Father had a jeep, and in the operators manual....it had that, thinning the oil with gasoline or diesel fuel....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 06-22-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #17

Confused. Sounds like LaciaMoe added diesel fuel to clean the system, then changed oil. DragonLady is talking about using oil made for diesel engines in bike to help coat parts to decrease wear recommending Rotella 15w 40. Two different threads combined I think... Meanwhile my bike sounds like it swallowed a sewing machine...

Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #18

Any thoughts on clearing up my considerable confusion?

Old 07-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #19
Top Contributor

You have had the oil changed by the dealer to a Kawasaki Synthetic and the original issue is still there after running the bike for a month. Take it back to the dealer and ask them what they think the noise is and how to proceed.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Confused. Sounds like LaciaMoe added diesel fuel to clean the system, then changed oil. DragonLady is talking about using oil made for diesel engines in bike to help coat parts to decrease wear recommending Rotella 15w 40. Two different threads combined I think... Meanwhile my bike sounds like it swallowed a sewing machine...
My read on DragonLady comment was clarification on diesel fuel as a cleaning agent... Then a history lesson on what was used during WWII, to thin bulk oil for the different field applications, rather than supply multiple oil grades to the war effort. Mechanics could cut or thin the bulk to use in whatever the application required. It's all about expendiansy.
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #21

So I can use some oil made for a diesel engine to see if she will quieten down? Could it be carbon problem on one of the valves? I usually use 87 with Seafoam added as needed and bounce her off the rev limiter every month or so.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
So I can use some oil made for a diesel engine to see if she will quieten down? Could it be carbon problem on one of the valves? I usually use 87 with Seafoam added as needed and bounce her off the rev limiter every month or so.
I've used Rotella T 15W-40 for several years now. I do add 1 ounce per quart of Seafoam to the crankcase at oil changes. I find that it quiets the lifters.

As for your choice of fuel, I've always used premium, 91 or 92 (if I can find it) preferably no Ethanol, again if I can find it and it's not too out of the way...
Remember these are high compression engines, 9-10:1 . Mine would ping when I ran lower grades of fuel. I also added a Wesco fuel manager to it. Easy to install, basically Plug N Play. That gave me the ability to richen the fuel mixer. Kawasaki stock are leaned out to meet EPA reg's. Richening up the air fuel, not only gives you better performance, it also helps the engine run cooler.

My 2 cents worth...
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 07-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #23

Sorry, meant 89 octane and as stated, the big 3 done years ago.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #24

Diesel fuel. Sorry took so long to reply. My thinking was a lifter clogged up. Top oil can sometimes clean it up. So can diesel fuel. Warm it up, add a cup or two and ride it. Rev don’t lug. And if your lucky it will fix it like mine, never came back. (So far,about 8k) was like a small hammer on an anvil. Quiet now.