Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Need for new exhaust

I was riding back roads the other day and I heard a sound, then again. Pulled over to find the roadhouse exhaust muffler on the left was dragging. Walked up the driveway of the nearest house to get a piece of wire to tie the muffler and bumped into the owner as he was leaving and it turns out he was into metal work and helped me out with a piece of aluminum wire I used to tie up the muffler. (I got lucky to catch him as he was leaving). It seems even though there was no visible signs of rust on muffler there was apparently rust happening where the muffler attaches to the frame which is out of sight unless you get under bike. It
broke loose and when hitting some bumps it let go and at the stress point on the muffler where you could now see rust at the bending point of the muffler. Must've been rusting inside out where it bent.....

At any point I'm going to replace the exhaust with Vance and Hines. (Road House, I believe doesn't make them any more). I have a dobeck fuel processor and emissions crap is gone from when the other exhaust was done. I know when putting on new exhaust You put it on
loose so as to get it all in place then tighten from the head. Any other suggestions in replacement would be appreciated.

I'm pretty handy but never replaced an exhaust on a motorcycle, as I wasn't the one who changed out the original exhaust.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I have Vance & Hines Bigshots on my 1600 Classic, along with a Power Commander and Baron air intake, all the smog crap gone long ago. Runs great, starts/idles easy. I bought the Classic used with all this on it, and it was WAY too load for my taste. So I installed the V&H Super Quiet baffles with fibreglas packing. Better, but still too loud for my tastes.

This winter I'm converting my Classic to a Nomad, and installing the V&H True Duals. Into those I'll install longer quiet baffles to bring the sound level down. Other than that I like the V&H products and the bike runs great with all these goodies. Should be relatively easy to install. But get some new exhaust flange gaskets where the headers connect to the engine. I use copper anti-seize on the exhaust flange studs, and make sure not to over torque them. Would be a good idea to soak the current exhaust studs in some product to make sure the current flange nuts come off with no issues before you start at it with sockets and wrenches.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

V&H duals....wanna sound hotrod, use Chucksters Ultimate Baffles instead of stock baffles.
If your head pipes are ok, you can save some money by getting some H-D mufflers, cheap....
Can probably pick up a good set of V&H Baggers used, check out our used stuff section, and also check out ebay....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 09-17-2021, 05:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
I have Vance & Hines Bigshots on my 1600 Classic, along with a Power Commander and Baron air intake, all the smog crap gone long ago. Runs great, starts/idles easy. I bought the Classic used with all this on it, and it was WAY too load for my taste. So I installed the V&H Super Quiet baffles with fibreglas packing. Better, but still too loud for my tastes.

This winter I'm converting my Classic to a Nomad, and installing the V&H True Duals. Into those I'll install longer quiet baffles to bring the sound level down. Other than that I like the V&H products and the bike runs great with all these goodies. Should be relatively easy to install. But get some new exhaust flange gaskets where the headers connect to the engine. I use copper anti-seize on the exhaust flange studs, and make sure not to over torque them. Would be a good idea to soak the current exhaust studs in some product to make sure the current flange nuts come off with no issues before you start at it with sockets and wrenches.

I looked into fitting V&H Longshots on my Nomad a few years back. They had stopped making them, but still did for the Classic. They dont fit the Nomad though, as the downward curve is not as long, and they wont pass under the bags. Whether that applies to the pipes you want, i dont know. But worth looking into before you buy a set.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I looked into fitting V&H Longshots on my Nomad a few years back. They had stopped making them, but still did for the Classic. They dont fit the Nomad though, as the downward curve is not as long, and they wont pass under the bags. Whether that applies to the pipes you want, i dont know. But worth looking into before you buy a set.
Thank you. I'll check for fitment on the slash cuts and if there's a problem connecting to the roadhouse head pipes as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
Advanced Member

My Classic has the V&H Bigshots with leather saddle bags that mount over the fender uder the rear seat. They mount high enough to clear the mufflers. But I don't like the leather bags look and lack of security and weather proofing.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #7

follow up

It was suggested that I purchase HD mufflers since I found out the head pipes are ok. I want the slash cut mufflers but wondering about fitment on the roadhouse pipes and mounting. Anybody have experience with that?

Old 09-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor View Post
It was suggested that I purchase HD mufflers since I found out the head pipes are ok. I want the slash cut mufflers but wondering about fitment on the roadhouse pipes and mounting. Anybody have experience with that?
The V&H Bagger duals will accept the H-D mufflers, I've only put on about 10 sets...., now whether the headpipes you have now are the same size is anyones guess, but they SHOULD fit....
The H-D guys change their pipes like most folks change underwear....so alot of the dealers give away the pipes and mufflers....
Use a vernier caliper to measure your head pipe....Its either 1 5/8's or 1 3/4....don't remember which....
Thats what I get for being a H-D Dealer Mechanic for over 35 years....creeping brain rot.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 09-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
The V&H Bagger duals will accept the H-D mufflers, I've only put on about 10 sets...., now whether the headpipes you have now are the same size is anyones guess, but they SHOULD fit....
The H-D guys change their pipes like most folks change underwear....so alot of the dealers give away the pipes and mufflers....
Use a vernier caliper to measure your head pipe....Its either 1 5/8's or 1 3/4....don't remember which....
Thats what I get for being a H-D Dealer Mechanic for over 35 years....creeping brain rot.....
And mounting on the frame? The HD mufflers look like they mount under thr hard bags not on the frame at the same point as the stock ones.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor View Post
And mounting on the frame? The HD mufflers look like they mount under thr hard bags not on the frame at the same point as the stock ones.
Most Harleys, well, I say most, have their mounting brackets on the top or the back side of the mufflers....some 1/8 or 3/16 x 1" flatbar from Tracter Supply, you can bend up a couple of brackets in no time. Usually only takes me about a hour to 1 1/2 hours to mount them on....but I have a small brake press that I use in my 40 ton hydraulic press, which makes things fast for me....
4 1/2 grinder with a flap wheel, deburr the brackets after drilling holes and bending, a wipe down of paint thinner, another wipe down, thin coat of primer, and some satin black impliment paint from Tractor Supply, slap those puppies on after 15 minutes in my old Pizza Oven from a pawn shop....done deal....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-25-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #11

Thank you for all the feedback and information. After considering all options and the minimal difference between the price of mufflers and a complete exhaust, I've decided to bite the bullet and get the complete set of vance and hines. By the way vance and hines doesn't sell just mufflers for the nomad. Weird. I'm guessing just a money making ploy.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #12

I successfully installed the vance and hines with a friend. I formally had the roadhouse exhaust which came with mounting brackets that mounted in a different place than the stock ones. Going to the vance and hines they used the same mounting setup as the stock pipes for the mufflers. Realized the bushings (spacers) need to go back to the original mounting area were needed. I was glad I had the whole stock exhaust in my garage rafters and dug out the ones needed. Thank God as that would have delayed the installation. The roadhouse pipes weren't a true 2 into 2 exhaust system but the vance and hines are. The roadhouse were 2 into 1 with a crossover pipe to get to the left muffler. Vance and hines sound a little deeper and louder than the roadhouse. When installed the bike was running a little rich so I backed off pot #1 on the dobeck TFI and all was good. The new exhaust definitely made a difference in the giddy up.

Last edited by flavor; 10-06-2021 at 07:54 PM.