Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #1

If you have sold your 1700 what bike did you move onto and why?

If you have owned a 1700 Vulcan and sold that bike what is the bike you have moved onto and why did you set free the 1700? What reasons did you have to do so and how do you compare what you have now to what you had in the Vulcan?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I sold my 1700 Voyager in 2014. My wife stopped going on the bike and I wanted something lighter so I bought a 2008 V Star 1300 Tourer and had that for 4 years. Compared to the Voyager it had better gas mileage (50mpg) and with a few mods it was quicker than the stock Voyager. I now have a 2014 V Star 1300 Deluxe.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #3

Myself had to unload the baby because I got diabetes and lost mussel mass and no longer could I hold up the beast of burden but felt very uncomfortable riding the bike. I hope it found a good home down in Winnipeg Manitoba.

Lets give a short review on what I liked about the bike and what I disliked about the bike.
DISLIKES
1. Was top heavy parking lot nightmare.
2. Did not deliver the power I expected from a big bore bike but the torque was there. It was never a fast bike even with upgrades to ECU and allot of other work.
3. The bags were really lousy in opening and closing and were really cheap flower pot material.
4. Factory seat was no better than a buckboard seat and was a killer to ride on.

1. Ohhh the sweat exhaust note of the Freedom Performance True Duels. My god it could rap nicely.
2. The replacement bags opening closing and room inside and how they were lined was amazing.
3. The look of the bike overall especially once I rebuilt bike with new paint job and accessories.
4. The Russel Day Seat was like being in your favorite home chair beyond amazing.

I have since moved on to a rather unusual bike the Suzuki 1400 Intruder 5 Speed 2002 flavor.

Dislikes
1. Small gas tank can only get about 192 kms out of the bike before refuel.
2. Small saddlebags and no you really cannot fit larger.
3. The sound not as sweet as the 1700

1. Quick wow this is a speed demon. I have upgraded the ECU to programable and sinked the carbs and put of Cobra Exhausts.
2. The lightness I have never had a small cruiser always one of the big boys. This is so sweet handles so well so nimble and quick.
3. The seat being a Cobin seat wow I find this not bad very comfortable.
4. The shocks Progressive shocks and springs all the way around wow nice smooth ride.
5. The looks very different from what is out there these days. I love the buckhorn handle bars so comfortable.
6. The front brakes changed up from a 2 pot to a 6 pot caliper off a GSXR1100. What a difference that makes.

Which bike would I choose well they are so different from one another you cannot compare them. The lightness of the Intruder makes it more fun daily riding. The heavy bike 1700 was better on those long cruises. Both are sweet rides.

Last edited by buckey1313; 01-10-2022 at 07:41 AM.