Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

Waving Turn signals

My R rear turn signal would blink sporadically and then at times work as it should after I fiddled with the switch. Now both the R front and rear stay on all the time. I

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #2

Why does this site do this?

Old 12-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #3

I suspect the switch but it seems to function smoothly. No obvious grounding seen and both bulbs are good. I plan to have a look in there and clean/lubricate everything. Anything I need to know about, electrical is not my strong suit. Any ideas/help appreciated.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Check the wiring into the headlight bucket. My turn signals were also funky; left one worked fine the right one would only stay steady. I went into the headlight bucket to check the wiring and found a wiring issue. Fixed that and all is back to normal.

Suggest you get the bike upright, sitting on it, key on, operate the turn signals and swings the handlebars back and forth. If the turn signals work ok, then not, as you move the handlebar it likely indicates a wiring issue, like a ground fault or broken power wire to the turn signal.

Electrical doesn't have to be a "strong suit" to be able to trace basic wiring problems.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Sounds like a dirty switch to me. I prefer to take it apart, clean it, and apply some dielectric grease for lubrication and to keep moisture out. Some prefer to just spray some WD-40, or contact cleaner in to clean out the gunk that causes contact issues. Just because it seems to work smoothly does not mean the contacts are not gunked up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Sounds like a dirty switch to me. I prefer to take it apart, clean it, and apply some dielectric grease for lubrication and to keep moisture out. Some prefer to just spray some WD-40, or contact cleaner in to clean out the gunk that causes contact issues. Just because it seems to work smoothly does not mean the contacts are not gunked up.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.