Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-01-2024, 07:24 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Rear drive hub options?

Kawasaki has made shaft drive bikes for many years, many models. The ZG1200 Voyager and the 1400 six cylinder, the Concour, and of course the 1500 and 1600 Vulcans. Makes me wonder if any of the rear drive hubs from these other models would also fit on a Vulcan 1600.

Main curiosity is about the final drive ratio. I wonder if any of the other rear drive hubs could mount onto a 1600 Vulcan, and offer different rear final drive ratios?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #2

I am not sure if any other final drive would fit although from the pictures, they look pretty similar. I think the biggest issue would be if the hole for the wheel shaft would align since the rear swing arm is one solid piece and not adjustable.

I would also consider that having a different final drive ration could make the bike lug at lower speeds. My Nomad would probably stall a lot if the final drive ration was a lower gear. I do wish the bike was a 6 speed but I think the best solve for getting slightly lower RPMs on the highway is a taller rear tire (which mine has). It's not a huge difference but it does take the guess work out of trying to make the wrong part fit.

Just my 2 cents....