Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #31

What other bikes were you considering vs Nomad?

Like Trip, I had basically the same criteria.
Shaft drive
1300 cc or better
liquid cooled
touring accessories
I narrowed it down to Yamaha or Kawasaki , I really liked the 07 red/silver but walked into local dealer and at the entrance was a 07 blk/silver 6 weeks old and 1500 miles for $11.3 ... end of story.
The P/O traded it in for a new wing, because his wife liked the passenger seat better.

Shep

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #32

Quote:
The P/O traded it in for a new wing, because his wife liked the passenger seat better.

Shep
I made the mistake of meeting some wing riders in the hotel in Custer SD, and letting my wife go around the parking lot on the wing.

She also liked the passenger seat much better on the wing.

That's the motivation for the trunk project that I'm doing.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #33

Wouldn't part with the nomad. One of use is goeing to ride the other one into the ground, Which ever comes first. I have been looking at a second bike, either the 900 kawa or 1300 yamaha.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #34
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller

kawasaki 2000 rt but did not like the bags and belt drive. also the rocket 3 but its goofy riding.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #35

Send a message via MSN to ianicky

I had my mind set on a HD heritage softail, whilst looking in my local HD dealership i spotted a Meanstreak, i thought if that had a better seat, screen and bags that would be one classy bike, so i started looking at the Kawasaki range and spotted the bike of my dreams and like all you guys i have never looked back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #36

Was looking at the Kawasaki 2k, but am another that didn't care for the bags or belt drive, then looked at the Star line, but really didn't like the 'roadliner' design, that left me with the Nomad, The Gold Wing and the new Concourse. I thought the Concourse was a bit too close to my old Bandit set-up and wanted a 'new' biking approach and we had a lot of friends with HD's, so the Nomad won out. Price certainly didn't hurt

I love the bike and have had a lot of fun customizing it ot be what I want in the past three months. Just a few more tweaks and it will be perfect.

Now, if Kawasaki ever makes a shaft driven 2k with hard bags, I'll consider that, but the compairson will be with a Screaming Eagle Street Glide. I'm thinking in 4-5 years it will be HD's 110 anniversary and I still like the Street Glide concept a lot.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #37

Bought my first Kawa a 800 Classic in '04 aug, a very nice bike, good drivebility. In '04 nov I became a second 800 Classic, that I complete restored in the winter of '04/'05. In '05 febr I trade in my both 800's at Bob's (my local dealer) for my first Nomad a '00 1500 Fi, this bike gaves me lots of pleasure and fun, after a period of 26 months and 22.000 km further I trade in my 1500 for my present '05 1600 Nomad.

The 1600 is for me the ultimate bike, the drivebility, performance and finish is in my opinion much better than the 1500

Enjoy every km on this ride!

Nomadman!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #38

I had/have a 01 VN1500FI Classic I did almost everthing to I could to make a Nomad out of it. I looked at the several Valkyries, a Road Star, a Venture and a hold over Voyager before deciding on my Nomad.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #39

I really liked the looks of the Harley Road King. I read the Harley forums for months and learned a lot, some good and some not so good. I also wanted to give "buy American" a fair shot but I just couldn't justify the cost. I also looked at Victory and liked the Touring Cruiser and then I found they were discontinued. One day surfing m/c sites I discovered the Nomad. It had everything I was looking (and more) for a very reasonable price. No regrets, no compromise. This is a excellent machine.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #40
Advanced Member

I picked the Nomad because it was a large cool looking cruiser with all the features I needed for short trips and cruising around town. Someday I think I am going to try the Wing.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #41

I'm just not old enough yet for Tupperware...at least that's what I keep telling myself!
Actually, I would love a wing, but only if I can keep the Nomad too. :)

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Had a Suzi Volusia with 47,000 miles and wanted a bigger bike. Rode a Victory Kingpin but really wanted a shaft drive, besides the Victory engine was too noisy and the tank too narrow. (personal preference) Also rode a Suzi M109. Sweet ride. Awesome, smooth power, quiet engine. I WANTED one but figured that to make it fit with saddlebags, windshield, engine guards, floorboards, passenger backrest, risers, new handlebars etc. was going to cost a mint. Rode the Nomad and really liked it. The a$$ end kind of threw me off. Looked a mile wide. Went home for two days and pondered it and decided that for the money there was NOTHING even close to the value. Another test drive and I was sold. BTW, my bike is red so I figured that the wide view was a good thing.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #43

After having smaller bikes I had a 79 wing and then a 06 wing, then got bored and bought a honda shdow ace tourer, sold that last year and almost got another wing again but the nomad had been on my mind for awhile so I looked and found a carryover black nomad and got it.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #44

I had both a 98 valkyrie & 1400 suzuki intruder but I always wanted a gr/gr/ nomad sold both, bought the nomad & went to work getting her like i wanted. can`t think of anything else i would want, i`ve done several 2000 + mi trips on her in comfort :)

Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #45

I went to trade my 04 1600 Classic on an 07 V2K Classic LT but
while the dealer was doing the paperwork, I kept sitting on this Nomad and by the time he came back ready for me to sign, I told him to change to the Nomad.
Now, to be truthful, I've always been partial to an Electra Glide. Trained as a DC Metro Officer on one in 1970 and have always wanted one. Now that I've got a few things paid off, I may buy one. I'd like a Police lease turn in that's been tricked out a little.
I also like the Nightster and the Super Glide :-) as well as a dozen other bikes. ;)
Ride safe,
Dano