Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

What other bikes were you considering vs Nomad?

Just curious what else you were giving consideration to when you bought your first Nomad?

Back in 99 when I bought mine I was looking at the Concourse; would have looked even closer if was updated like it is now.

Also looked at the Honda Valkyrie.

I wanted to tour which all three do just fine, but I went with the Nomad because of the looks (it's the best looking of the three) and because it had a slow enough top speed to keep me safer than my own good sense would allow.

What were you considering?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

I was considering the Honda VTX 1300 or 1800 or the Kawa Mean Streak. All were nice, but once I saw the deal for the Nomad w/ all the extras, I knew I couldn't go wrong there!! Never a moment of regret in that decision either!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

I looked at the HD Ultra and wing. Ultra...no interest in, Wing I would still consider but I don't want to give up the Nomad.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Suzuki C90T and Honda VTX 1300
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #5

Suzuki C90t or kawasaki 900lt

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Well, at the time I bought the Nomad, my top bike choices were the Yamaha Venture and the Honda Valkyrie Interstate, but I've got to have a v-twin and until I can afford both I'll go with the Nomad. I did have a Road Star for the weekend while my Valkyrie Standard was tied up and that was one sweet bike too, but I think the Nomad just squeezes it out.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #7

I knew the Nomad was what I wanted step up to from my Suzuki Intruder 800. One of the guys in my riding group had one so I knew what I was gonna look for and the rest is history.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to mlogsdon

Thought real close about the Honda 1800 and the Venture...in the end there ain't nuthin that beats the Nomad for looks, travel and value.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #9

I looked at everything comparable in the class. I had never heard of the Nomad. The HD was very pricey and I came very close to ordering the Peace Officer's Special. I have an original 1981 Yamaha 650 Heritage Special (now registered as an antique) in my garage so I took a serious look at the yamaha brand. I figured that, while I was there, I would browse through the Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki cruisers just to look. The mechanic at the motorcycle shop told me about the Kawasaki Vulcan, which was a damn nice motorcycle. After we talked about what I was looking for in my new ride, he told me about the Nomad. I bought it and have been very happy with my purchase.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to donguer Send a message via Yahoo to donguer

The wife and I went to the IMS in New York. Checked out as many bikes as we could to fit two up riding and the wife said we liked the Nomad the best! It is the best all around in its class. Thats what she said we think.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Advanced Member

After over 20 years on Ventures I looked hard at the new Style Venture- but??? Nahh! I liked the Wing but up here for the money?? Nah! I have an 800 Drifter which has been a very good scooter and I have friends who have had Nomad's since the start so the only thing was what Fairing/ Trunk setup to go with?? Then since they were giving the 06's away for cheap and the Premiux set up wasn't that bad I thought What the Heck go for it - and I'm not sorry I did!!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #12

My 03 Meanstreak was my first Vulcan.I'd decided I wanted something better for long hauls so the Nomad was a natural choice. I just couldn't part with the Meanstreak though,so I have them both now. I've since added 2" risers, a Memphis Shades 17" shield, and Kuryakyn floorboards to the Meanstreak and that makes it a nice road bike as well. Both bikes are stock as far as performance goes.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Suzuki C90T or C109RT, I didn't seriously consider Star or Harley due to air-cooling. It just didn't make sense to me where I live and ride. What pushed me to the Nomad was the fact that I had a C50T at the time, and felt Suzuki really cut some corners on it. Wimpy brakes, plastic everywhere, and I didn't particularly care for the local dealer. The C90T has a tiny tank and some of the same el-cheapo stuff as the C50T, and the C109RT wasn't out yet at the time. I saw the Nomad, fell in love with it, and here I am.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
I have an original 1981 Yamaha 650 Heritage Special (now registered as an antique) in my garage
My first street bike was a 1979 Yamaha 650 special. I have fond memories of that bike, though I remember it shaking everything pretty good.

I was only 17 when I got it, and didn't know about lock tite. I couldn't keep the chain guard on for nothing. It would always shake loose and all of a sudden scare the crap out of me going down the road as it dropped onto the chain and made a racket.

If I was ever in your neighborhood, I'd swing by to have a look at it. :)

Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #15

Seeing as I had a Yamaha I looked at them first. The V Star 1300 looked good and the Royal Star Deluxe was also in the running.
Was looking through the Cycle World buyers guide and saw the Nomad , showed the pic to Cindy and asked what she thought. She said, " I will drive you to the Kawasaki dealer, lets go."
The rest is history
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]