Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
Today was a beautiful day for a ride!

The weather man couldn't get his head out his butt... or make up his mind!

At around 10:00 a.m. I went outside and DAMN!!.. it was beautiful!!
They said it wouldn't get out of the low 60's but it was closer to 70 degrees so.... I got the bike out and headed to the mountains.
The leaves peaked last weekend but there was still a lot at the lower elevations that would take your breath away!
The sun was blinding bright... but then again, after a few weeks of rain any sun looked good! There is a spot in the mountains where I get my apples only a few times per year, and I just had to make a run up to get a "peck"
We went up through Suches and took a left on hwy 80. The trees on that stretch were still in color and the beauty was there to see.

We headed up to the highest point in Georgia, "Brass town ball". At the top it looks like mid winter with most of the leaves blown off of the trees.
The temp gauge on the bike never got below 65 degrees.
Came back around Helen and headed home. All in all we did almost 200 miles.
Now the rest of the week is supposed to be clear and if it's nice next weekend we'll head back to the mountains!

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Top Contributor

yes it was a good day for a ride, upper 40s - low 50s* for me total 177 miles

74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Advanced Member

We had a riding day here in sunny Southern Alberta, 60 and sunny, and it was fine until we made the turn to go north, and realized how bad the west wind was blowing. It was blowing so hard I swear I actually felt the rear tire leave the pavement for a couple of seconds a couple of times, and when we stopped the wind almost blew me over. We were home about 20 minutes and realized the wind had pretty much quite but it was too late in the day by then to go for another ride because the temp had dropped to just below 50. Maybe next week-end will be better.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Glad everyone had a good ride. I spent most of the day on airplanes and airports. Couldn't have gotten the bike out anyway with the snow we had the other day.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Glad you were able to have a nice ride. I sure wish I could have ridden through Helen with you. I have only been to Helen one time and that was in the car. I will have to try and make it up that way on the Nomad one day.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #6

I wasn't planning on riding today, but with nary a cloud in the sky and nothing pressing going on I just had to ;) . Managed to kill two birds with one stone. Rode down to the Lonestar rally on the strand and checked out one of my favorite fishing holes at the same time. Met some great folk, had a good burger and got a little sunburnt while racking up 250 miles on the bike. Some days I love being a Texan.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #7

Working nights this weekend I missed two great riding days. The sleep wasnt so hot either as the Wings Over Houston Air Show was this weekend, and there were planes of various vintages and thrust capabilities overhead pretty much all day. The Blue Angels were so low and directly over my house that I may need to check for missing roof shingles. They are definitely some talented fliers.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW
Working nights this weekend I missed two great riding days. The sleep wasnt so hot either as the Wings Over Houston Air Show was this weekend, and there were planes of various vintages and thrust capabilities overhead pretty much all day. The Blue Angels were so low and directly over my house that I may need to check for missing roof shingles. They are definitely some talented fliers.
Same here Larry. one more night after tonight and I'm off for 2 weeks. Hate missing these beautiful riding days. Started feeling kind of rough last night in the middle of the 13 hour shift. Feeling worse tonight. Hope it isn't the flu. Heading up to Tennessee Thursday morning if this bug is gone. Coming home Monday of next week.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #9

Hope you shake off whatever is trying to attack ya Mitch. Sucks to be sick, and its even worse if youve got time off planned. Y'all have a safe trip.

I have Monday night on this set and then I go to College Station Wed-Friday to burn the props at Firefighter Disneyland; then back to the plant Sat & Sun on days.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #10

Y'all are going to CS at a good time. We are always sent in June or July. I may be taking myself off of the ERT because of shoulder problems. Having a difficult time dragging hoses up the flights of stairs on the props. I will go to a 40 hr. Hazmat class early next year and more than likely hang up my gear. I'll miss it but a man has to know his limits.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #11

Glad to hear somebody got a chance to ride.
I have been out of town working for the last 2 months and haven't even seen my Nomad much less gone for a ride. I'm on my way home so I hope the weather holds out for a ride this weekend.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #12

Had nice enough weather yesterday to take a 40 mile trip for lunch. High near 75. Only complaint was winds in the 30's. Current forecast is showing 70's again next weekend. I hope it lasts.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #13

I was forced to take off yesterday afternoon to take the starter for my truck to be worked on in Uvalde Tx. A bit over 200 mile round trip. Went the straighter roads on the way down for speed but was hindered by quite a wobble at 85-90. Slowed down and checked the tires when I reached the shop. Front and back tires both down about 8 lbs. Aired up and took the more challenging route back. Wide open flats to rolling sweepers to steep grades and sharp curves. Crying shame to miss all that work though.......

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#