Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #1

Trip meter resetting during startup

On a number of occasions now the trip meter on my 06 Nomad decides to reset back to zero on its own during start up. Sometimes it resets at first start after sitting for a few days. Other times after stopping for a brief pit stop.
Although the original battery is still in the bike there is no lack of cranking power for starting and all lights are burning bright.
My first thought is there is probably a small watch sized back up battery in the circuit to provide a memory voltage. But looking at the service manual shows no such battery. Again this only occurs intermittently.
Of course the manual just gives "Replace Unit" for any troubleshooting fix.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

If memory serves, I think I read on this forum a while ago that it's an early indication the bettery is on the way out. Can you borrow someone else's to determine if the trip meter resets with a fresh battery?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #3

Get a new battery. Mine was doing the same thing, put in a new battery and hasn't happened since.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Good info to Know :) reloader is that an american flag on the bike .can't make it out ....LOL.....Couldn't help myself...kidding ya know :)

Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #5

It would be great if the trip meter resetting itself would be a sure sign that the battery is going bad. Would a heck of a lot simpler than Mac's tests. :) Actually, I've seen similar things happening in the high-tech electronics in cars these days - get few wacky indications on the instrument panel and sure enough the battery is the culprit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Mine has been resetting itself a lot this past summer, I'll be getting a new battery for the upcoming season. I did stretch that battery out for a long time though. To bad the odometer doesn't reset itself as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

I like my wacky tests, because they are for free.. This is a for sure indicator that the battery is no longer capable of holding a charge, which means it won't hold a load too.

These tests are a cake walk for me since I run a volt meter all the time the bike is in use.

And I use a auto flpat charger any time the bike is parked, other than a odd over night away.

But then I plan to have the same battery when it is 8 years old.

The battery in my cage is pre 2002, the only way I know if the blue over spray from painting that relic.

The tests are easy.

A good Nomad battery standing over night not on a charger should be about 13.3 dcv. No less than 12.8.

pop off the spark plug wires so the engine can't start, and crank the engine over with a watch and a second hand, the voltage should not drop below 10.5 volts in 10 seconds.

What's so hard about that?

I have never agreed with adding things that come on the instant the key is tirned on, but I sure can't stop anyone from doing that.

My opinion is that there is already too much stuff ON at that time. Then when you crank up the start motor most anything but that is starved for juice. The lesser the draw the more likey wire resistance will cause what ever to fail. The first things that fail are the clock and trip meter.

This little battery at 20Ah gets slammed with a draw of 365 amps each time the start motor is used.

This battery in theory can run 1 amp 20 hours, 20 amps 1 hour, and 356 amps for a few seconds..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 01-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #8

I've had this happen a few times to both the ODO and clock when I hit the starter button before the speedometer needle had a chance to return to zero.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

just curious, I don't have the trip meter reseting but if I am running down the road and set it on trip meter or odometer it stays there but if I switch to clock it stays there about 60 seconds then switched to odometer. Actually thought that was the way it was supposed to work for quite a while. I normally leave it on trip meter so it doesn't bother, but just seems odd. Any one else see that?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
just curious, I don't have the trip meter reseting but if I am running down the road and set it on trip meter or odometer it stays there but if I switch to clock it stays there about 60 seconds then switched to odometer. Actually thought that was the way it was supposed to work for quite a while. I normally leave it on trip meter so it doesn't bother, but just seems odd. Any one else see that?
I'm pretty sure if I set my clock display on, it stays there until I change it to something else.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
It's not supposed to act like that. The clock display should stay on until you switch it. If you are still under warranty get the dealer to fix it.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Reloader:
On mine for a while the ODO AND clock would both reset when starting the bike. Turned out it was a bad ground from the battery. to the chassis. No problem since cleaning and tightening it.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to dabull

New Battery, or perhaps just check battery connections

Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C.
Reloader:
On mine for a while the ODO AND clock would both reset when starting the bike. Turned out it was a bad ground from the battery. to the chassis. No problem since cleaning and tightening it.
Yeah that can happen even if the battery is brand new.. All it takes to make a bad connection is a finger print.

Just looking by eye at a connection is pretty useless. To clean one you need to brighten the metals, with sand papers, wire brushes, or scrapers.

My meters don't change unless I press a button.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Same here for me Mac, mine stay set where I set them. Sounds like a weak battery or the connection isn't good enough to keep power going to the instrument cluster when attempting to start. I do know that if there isn't power going to the speedometer and trip meter the trip meter will reset.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181