Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bokobob
My Nomad vs 98 Harley Ultra Classic

Rode a 98 HD Ultra Classic today with 15K miles on it.13xx CC and it had every piece of chrome and add-ons ever invented...Saw it on CRaigslist and it was indeed showroom "new" adn so I felt why not try it out..Plus it was a way to get a 28 mile ride on my nomad to where it was, adn so I enjoyed a good ride on my own bike going and coming back...Glad I went..In short, aside from ultra comfy stock seat and backrest, I fell in love with my 07 Nomad even more than before......To be sure I only rode the HD about ten miles, just long enough to get up to hihgway speed and experience how the rpm's were, adn they seemed fine, but I found it hard to "steer" at very low speeds...I felt the "rake" was quite vertical as compared to the Nomad...It felt unnatural to me in that sense, but every bike takes getting used to.

Why did I want to try it out? Well, I have seen folks say they are like a cadillac with the top down...might be on the highway over distances, , but it's just another bike around town in my estimation based on the very short ride.....The seller had a ton of money in it (I never say "invested" when it comes to bike improvements....the investment word is only for personal satisfaction as I see it, and surely not to improve market value)

Not wanting to start a fight..just giving a report based on a "sliver" of a ride...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #2

Like anything else they have improved them over the years, Ive ridden a few the last couple years since my buddies have them. You can tell the difference between the 97, 05 and the 09 's that Ive been on. The 09 was a really nice bike to ride. The low speed handling was far better than my Nomad, power was about the same if not a wee bit better, brakes were a lot better, and the way the controls were laid out was quite comfortable as was the seat. The only negative thing that bugged me was the vibration when stopped at an idle. Once moving though it was smooth as silk. The six speed tranny was nice but you really have to be going over about 65mph to use it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I may have to try out one someday. My *ss has never sat on a Harley. Thought about buying one once but that was all I did about it. Just thought. I know they are a lot better bike than they were years ago.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #4

Well... I'll "chirp-in" here on the subject; since I had a Nomad, and now have an '09 Ultra.

A '98 Ultra is not going to be what an Ultra is today. They have evolved considerably since then. To be a fair comparison... you should have tried a '98 Kaw... you know... apples and apples. (I assume your bike isn't that old.)

With regard to handling... an '09 and '10 Ultra has it "hands-down" in handling over the Nomad since HD completely redesigned the frame for this bike. That change, along with the other 449 changes they made to the Ultra... it is without a doubt a completely different bike than any Ultra older than '09... and I do mean completely different.

I also know that by adding the lowering kit and "reach-seat" to my Ultra improved the handling and ride even more. This has also been confirmed by taller riders than me who ride Ultras.

While the Ultra appears to be much the same on the surface... there have been over a thousand changes to the bike and engine since '98.

So... while I commend you on at least giving it a try... you should do yourself a favor and take a ride on a newer model. I believe once you get over the initial difference in how the bike feels compared to a Nomad (all bikes I sit on initially feel awkward); you'll see what I am talking about.

Steve... the vibration at idle doesn't bother me. To me... it is mostly a visual thing. Either way, and as you said... as soon as the throttle is on... it simply disappears.

For me specifically... my '09 Ultra is definitely the best overall bike I have ever ridden or owned.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

People are willing to pay a premium for the "idle vibration" of a Harley. They smooth out as soon as you give it some gas, though.

I was going to make the same point as Greg, comparing a 12 year old Ultra to a 3 year old Nomad isn't really a level playing field.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to bokobob

Thanks for all the responses....I actually was thinking the same thing in a way, but did not articulate it..I never mentioned an offer to the guy, and the 1998 was quite pricey, owing to many accessories and pristine condition, but it did not ride "special" as noted earlier..

Can't afford an 09 so that is that...

Anyway, I can say I rode my second Harley..first one was a Harley 125 in the early fifties. :-)

Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #7

I rode the Road King,2010, It is the same class as the Nomad, The ultra is their touring bike?
The 2010 Road King in my opinion doesn't come close to the Nomad ,Hate that idle vibration. Except for the brakes and belt drive That I was impressed!I agree with Ring :)

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #8

I've always wanted a Harley, don’t know why, must be one of those wishes (dreams) I had growing up that subconsciously I'd like to fulfill but have yet to do so. I am very pleased with the Nomad. That said, I've never had the chance to ride an '09 or '10 Ultra and I'm afraid if I do I might upset the missus, (Minister of Finance & War) one more time ;-)

Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #9

I would assume that the vibration at idle is intentional for some reason. The fact that it dissappears as soon as your underway is good.Im not sure why anyone would really want that in a bike deliberately, since you can barely see out of the mirrors at an intersection. Maybe you do get used to it after a bit of time. Perhaps its saving a piece of old school nostalgia and tradition.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I would assume that the vibration at idle is intentional for some reason. The fact that it dissappears as soon as your underway is good.Im not sure why anyone would really want that in a bike deliberately, since you can barely see out of the mirrors at an intersection. Maybe you do get used to it after a bit of time. Perhaps its saving a piece of old school nostalgia and tradition.
Are you kidding? The vibration and sound made by a Harley engine at idle is H-D's trademark. Of course technology has advanced some over the past 105 years and Harley could produce a smooth-idling engine, but they won't. It's all part of the Harley "mystique".
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I thought breaking down what part of the "mystique" Sorry Greg... too easy a shot!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I thought breaking down what part of the "mystique" Sorry Greg... too easy a shot!!
Did you know that 95% of the Harleys made over the last 25 years are still on the road? That's because 5% of them were able to make it back home!!

See.... I can be funny too!!!

Seriously... on the vibration thing. I have done a lot of reading about HD's for some time now... I have book after book on them.

Apparently, every time HD wants to make advances in their bikes... they meet serious resistance from their core buyers. So; they make decisions based on their core buyers to some degree every time.

However... it has become more apparent HD will have to do something with their current V-twin in a few years because their Evolution design is not going to make the "cut" on EPA standards as they are currently. It appears the V-Rod motor will be able to be re-designed enough to meet the standards -- however HD has been getting a lot of slack about that motor not being an HD. (Go figure... water-cooled, smooth-running; Porsche designed; and on and on!! ;))

I have been getting information that says the executives of HD are going to be relieved when they can switch to the V-Rod, because they will be able to blame it on the government forcing them to do it -- rather than having the blame fall on their shoulders. Interesting... I know.

If you look back through the history of HD, you'll find thousands of changes to every part of their bikes -- however many still believe they are producing the bikes from the 40's thru the 60's without any change. That opinion would be ignorant of the facts; and based some on the fact they have tried to maintain their signature "look" all these years -- thus giving buyers the impression they are buying the "old-school" bike.

Overall, at this point, while the stories of HD's unreliability continue to exist dove-tailed to its own legend... many of these problems have been resolved over the last several years. (Not that they are trouble-free. No bike is - including the Nomad.)

One thing HD does have over every other bike manufacturer is their network of dealers and service. If your HD does break down, you can just about always find a dealer somewhere nearby that might be able to help. And if they can't, they have other resources by which you can get another bike or a car rental.

So... while HD gets all the "slack" and jokes... I own one and know a bit different.

PS: Someone asked about the Ultra compared to the Roadking. Completely two different bikes. The Ultra is their "top-of-the-line" tourer model. I do not like the way a Roadking feels compared to my Ultra. Completely two different feels -- however -- every single HD model is designed to have a different feel on purpose. Only makes sense.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

There, there Greg..................... feeling better after getting that off your chest!? J/K

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #14

As far as reliability with HD, I think they have made huge advances from the days where they leaked, and ran poorly. Of all my pals who have them here, only one has had some issues when the bike was new, that was a Road King, the others which range from a 97 to an 09 have all been troublefree with only maintenance items required.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #15

Ring , funny thing when I test drove the HD I pulled up to my first stop sign. It was vibrating so bad I thought I did something wrong, I quickley checked the cluch was pulled in than realized it was the vibration... Didn't like it. A friend of mine bought a 2009 ultra and spent 1100 $ on a new exhaust for a better sound??? Well so much for the harley sound I guess :)