Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

3 Mechanical Questions

Learning the hard way to mechanic my own bike. Pulled the filter off and changed it, boy the dealership really had that sucker on there tight, had to drive a screwdriver through it get it off, does it need to be that tight? When I change the oil in my car and truck I just put it on as tight as I can with my hands as recommended by the service manual.

Second question, I did as suggested on this website and pulled the plug that has the screen in it. Boy there was a lot of debris in it. It was obvious to me that the dealership had never done it. I have 16,000 miles on my bike and I'm just now deciding to do all my own mechanical work. The economy will do that, plus I want to know how to fix crap if it breaks while out on the road and I figure this way I get to know the in's and out's of it all. The bad part is that I took the screen and all the pieces associated with it out and set them down carefully so I would remember how to put it back together in the right order. About that time my daughter showed up for her oil change so I took a break and took care of her. While changing her oil a storm blew in, I had the garage down up and the wind blew my screen and parts all over the garage. I got them collected up cleaned up with solvent and ready to put back in but I wasn't sure if the rubber gasket part of the screen went in first or the metal end of the screen went in first. I looked at Gadget's page and it looks like the rubber gasket/seal went in first so I put it together that way. It all fit but I'm just looking for some reassurance on this before I crank her up.

Third Question: I put the marble in the front tube/hose that plugged into the plastic looking box by the front cyclinder as recommended to stop the backfiring on the Vance and Hines Pipes but when I removed the same tube/hose on the back cyclinder that plugged into the same type looking box in the back there is no way that a marble is going to fit in that tube/hose. Do I have the wrong tube/hose in the back by the rear cylinder on the right side? It is only half as big as the front one. The front tube/nose was big enough that the marble slid right in.

Learning step by step here boys. Help a not to mechanically inclined guy out here. The body is able but the mind is a little unstable.

Now I'm going out to put on the Run-Stop-Turn kit while I wait for some answers and help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #2

3 Mechanical Questions

Dennis, The open end with the gasket goes in with the solid end facing out. There should be a metal washer that slides from the solid end to the open end. This is what the spring rides on. Make sure the O-ring is on the plug and seated in the groove before screwing it back on. The oil filter should be hand tight only. Can't help with the marble question. My intake is stock.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

3 Mechanical Questions

When you install your oil filter just put it on barely hand tight. If you put it on tight even by hand it will be difficult to remove at the next oil change. They seen to tighten themselves over time.
If I understand your marble question I think you may have it in the wrong location, I plugged the hose that is connected at the back of the air cleaner plate.
Go to Gadgets Fixit sight and you will find detailed instructions on how to do a lot of basic maintenance complete with lots of pictures. Keep up with the work on the bike, after a few times its all second nature.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

3 Mechanical Questions

Here's some details for you. Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual. Will help a lot.

This is how the oil screen goes together.

I'll post the hose diagram next.

VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

3 Mechanical Questions

Here's the diagram of the fuel hoses. Ibelive you need to put the marble in the hose connected to #20 where it attaches to the breather plate. I have not done this so please would someone correct me if I'm wrong. Only one marble should be needed.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Top Contributor

3 Mechanical Questions

Hi. www.ronayers.com has an online microfiche. I use it sometimes for diagrams, part numbers and prices.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Top Contributor

3 Mechanical Questions

In regard to question #3 here is the link to gadjets page showing where to put the marble. You should only need one for the large tube going into the right hand side "air cleaner" backing plate.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/smogstuffremove.htm

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #8

3 Mechanical Questions

This is a popular air intake mod, check out pic for step 4 and the red arrow shows the hose where you stick the marble.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/....k-warni ng.html

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #9

3 Mechanical Questions

pm sent to glwilson.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

3 Mechanical Questions

Yes in the pdf file part 20 and part 17 show a hose headed there.. The marble goes in that hose tight, bull tight to stop air flow.

This is the easy method, and one I consider weak, but it works. The best method it to remove part 20 and all the hoses to it. Replace the reed valves with chucksters coaster plates. And cap off the brass thottle body port, where the smallest hose goes from part 20.

I call part 20 Medusa's head for obvious reasons.

The oil strainer if installed bassakards will cut off all oil supplu to the engine. See the pdf file and make certain this is correctly installed.

Once the strainer is cleaned once, it isn't likey to need to be cleaned again. Therefore it might need to be checked once a year. In this event note the bolt is slotted, and you can with ease controll oil drining flow thur the slotts.

DO NOT over tighten that slotted plug, as it is weaker in the threads than the engine side threads are. This is so the engine side threads will stand up to stripping and the plug threads will die first. never the less stripping either is will cause damage to the engine case. When that plug is in and stops you stop too!

Oil filters heat seize. Make sure there is a film of new clean oil on the seal installing and just snug it by hand only. It will heat seize anyway, but a strap wrench should take off the next filter.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
3 Mechanical Questions

Some good links guys. Thanks for posting them. Dennis I had to use an oil filter wrench to get mine off and still do even when I only put it on hand tight.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #12

3 Mechanical Questions

Thanks for all the information guys. I got everything figured out with a little help from my friends here on KawaNow. I got the marble installed, oil screen put back on in the right manner, oil filter on hand tight, and the Run Stop and Turn kit on and working. The bezels on the front and rear turn signals look real nice.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #13

3 Mechanical Questions

Yee Haaaaaaa.....

Now you know, before you buy any more chrome go buy a service manual. Takes a lot of guess work out of the project.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #14

3 Mechanical Questions

Good to see you taking things on and SMART to ask here too. I believe Trip posted a link to a PDF Nomad 1600 Service manual here somewhere??? I know I have both the 1600 Classic and Nomad versions. Wink wink, nudge, nudge.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #15

3 Mechanical Questions

I dug my glass Jiff peanut butter jar out of the kitchen junk drawer. It's loaded with my childhood playing marbles. Fished out a red cats eye. I always liked the red cats eyes. Dropped a bluey, it rolled across the floor and disappeared somewhere around the microwave cart. Warned Deb that I had lost one of my marbles, she said she knew that a long time ago. Went out to the shop and stuck that sucker in the bike. Did I use the right color? Would a green or blue cats eye have fit better? If had found a blacky I know it would have increased the horsepower. Now I got to go find that bluey.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad