Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Holy Smokes! New Tire, Sticker Shock

I posted this over on a different board, but thought I'd post it here, too.
Had a new tire put on my 1700 Nomad yesterday. Price for the tire wasn't bad--$170.00, but the total bill for the job was $329.00. When I asked why so much they told me labor was 2.25 hours. The explanation was that they had to remove the left saddlebag (OK) but then they had to remove the left muffler and the trailer hitch. I about fainted. I was under the impression that the muffler only had to be loosened and dropped down a tad to allow the axle bolt to clear it. Don't know why they had to take the hitch off. It's a MC Hitch. I sure hope this tire last a good long time before I have to replace it again. I think when I do, I'll put it up on my lift in the garage and remove the rear wheel myself.

Any of you with a hitch on the back of their bike may want to know this. Or maybe there's a cheaper, easier solution here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

You got it, Greg. Remove the wheel yourself and take it to get a tire put on. Not only do you save money, you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and you learn things about your bike.

I'm going today to the HD dealer to get a $400 screwing for the 1000 mile break in service. Hopefully, this will be the last time my bike sees the inside of a dealership. I have a 2011 Touring service manual on order and will do all my service from here on out.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Yeah, that was quite a shock. I wonder if anyone here has any advice on how to do this oneself without having to remove the left exhaust, and how to properly tension and align the drivebelt. I would rather do the labor myself and save a bunch of money plug have the experience of doing it rather than someone else. I have the tools, just need the knowhow. I think my blood pressure and pulse rate have returned to normal this morning.

BTW, how are you enjoying the new HD? Aside from the raping, pillaging and plundering that one suffers at the dealer, that is. Good that you'll be able to do your own maintenance and service after the initial one.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #4

Greg, I sure hope that after the dealer had his way with you that he at least kissed you and told you he loved you! It doesn't sound like it was that good for you so maybe next time (now that you aren't a virgin) you'll be more selective.
I avoid brand dealers(Kaw, honda, Yam, HD ect... are all the same) as much as possible for all but the most model specific repairs. Just had a "under warranty" item addressed on my 2010 Goldwing (so it is not just Kaw). Dealer billed 3.75 hours @ $115 per hour! Last time I was at the Kaw dealer in Jax their shop rate was $90 per hour and that was 2 years ago. Generic Motorcycle repair, things like tires, tune ups, oil changes and so on (if it is good which is not always true) is not worth $100 an hour!
Tire changes should be billed at $30-$40 per hour. Front tire change from on the bike should be a 1 - 1.5 hour job so $30-$45 and rear (your hitch may add time don't know) on a dresser like the Nomad from 2 - 2.5 hours so $60-$80. And if you buy the tire from the guy who is doing the change he needs to be on the low end of those times and rates cause he's already marking the tire up 50%.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Believe it or not, HD prices (other than the bikes) are not any worse than any other manufacturer, and many accessories are much less expensive than Kawasaki charges. My dealer charges $85/hour for service. The only reason I am taking the bike in for the initial service is because they go over it really well and I am taking a 5000 mile trip in just over a month.

HD's top o' the line touring seat, the "Road Zeppelin", has air chambers for both rider and passenger and a built-in compressor to adjust the pressure as you ride. It goes for <$700. That's pretty reasonable when you are talking about a premium touring seat.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Greg, spend the money and order you a service manual for your specific bike from the Kawasaki dealer. That manual will explain EVERYTHING you would need to know about the removal/installation, testing, and adjusting of anything on your bike. These manuals are worth their weight in gold.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

I put a new stock Bridgestone on my bike last Fall, $119.99 to my door from Dennis Kirk. Dropped it off at a Honda mechanic I use, he charges a flat $50 to change out tires on the bike. I remove the saddle bags and I drop the bike off, go hang out for a few hours and he is finished.

Shop around, I found out rates were all over the place for changing tires. Harley dealer wanted $125 for the same job my Honda guy charges $50 for.

Dennis Kirk had the best prices by far for tires and shipping was reasonable.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO
Yeah, that was quite a shock. I wonder if anyone here has any advice on how to do this oneself without having to remove the left exhaust, and how to properly tension and align the drivebelt. I would rather do the labor myself and save a bunch of money plug have the experience of doing it rather than someone else. I have the tools, just need the knowhow. I think my blood pressure and pulse rate have returned to normal this morning.

BTW, how are you enjoying the new HD? Aside from the raping, pillaging and plundering that one suffers at the dealer, that is. Good that you'll be able to do your own maintenance and service after the initial one.
If your going to work on the bike your self buy a Kaw service manual for your bike, it will tell you all that stuff with pictures too.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #9

I just had front and rear tire s replaced. After reading problems folks had with receiving tires manufactured 4-5 years ago and the problems associated with returns, I went through my dealer. Don't usually do that. I made it very clear I didn't want tires over 2 yrs. old. I also saved time by not having to drag the tires to a shop and wait to have them changed for a higher price because I bought over the Internet. Just wanted to eliminate those types of hassles. I made an appointment and was in and out in 40 minutes at $40/ tire, total $450 Out The Door. Maybe a bit high but saving time and aggravation come at a price!!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #10

When it's time to change my tire/s, I remove the wheel/tire myself (about 15 min for the front, and about 1/2 hr for the rear (thanks to the original Idaho jack adapter)) and carry them 1/4 mile down the road to a bike shop. He charges me $10 per wheel to remove the old tire, mount the new one, then computer speed balance them. Then I carry them home and reinstall them, about 1/2 hr on the front and 45 min on the rear. If I buy the tire from him, it is mounted and balanced for free.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Top Contributor

It only take 5 minutes to take off the left side bag and remover the left muffler.
I just got new tires on Monday. I always take the wheels off and take them in. The guy charges me $20 per tire including balance but you have to buy the tires from him. He wont install car tires or tires bought elsewhere. It cost me $523 (Canadian) out the door for 2 Avon Cobras.
Less in the U.S I bet !!!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman47
I just had front and rear tire s replaced. After reading problems folks had with receiving tires manufactured 4-5 years ago and the problems associated with returns, I went through my dealer. Don't usually do that. I made it very clear I didn't want tires over 2 yrs. old. I also saved time by not having to drag the tires to a shop and wait to have them changed for a higher price because I bought over the Internet. Just wanted to eliminate those types of hassles. I made an appointment and was in and out in 40 minutes at $40/ tire, total $450 Out The Door. Maybe a bit high but saving time and aggravation come at a price!!
Boy your easy, I won't take tires over 6 months old.....
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

[quote author=vulcans2 board=general thread=23287 post=352799 time=1303912858]Yeah, that was quite a shock. I wonder if anyone here has any advice on how to do this oneself without having to remove the left exhaust, and how to properly tension and align the drivebelt. I would rather do the labor myself and save a bunch of money plug have the experience of doing it rather than someone else. I have the tools, just need the knowhow. I think my blood pressure and pulse rate have returned to normal this morning.

I don't know about the Kawasaki but my Yamaha Roadstar I didn't have to move the tensioners so there was no adjustment needed on the belt I found this out after taking it to the shop and they charged me $200.00 for the tire and $110.00 to put it on the next time I did it my self.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #14

I change and balance my own tires, you should have been able to loosen the LH muffler and press it down enough for the axle to clear, Im talking about the 15-1600's perhaps the 1700's are designed a little different.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Advanced Member

I got a quote from my independent bike shop at 1.5 hours @ $65 per/hr for both front and back tires.