Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

thunder bigbore kit

does anyone know anything about the thunder bigbore kit and cam for the 1600? i was curious about reliability, and if there was a noticible difference in power. i'm looking for more lowend and midrange torque.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

thunder bigbore kit

don't have any personal experience with it but they do show you dyno
charts on there website so you can compare it to stock.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 05-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
thunder bigbore kit

If you want bottom end your going to have to stroke that motor..... It's bore is already too big.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4

thunder bigbore kit

The 1600 is a stroked 1500.

I know a couple of guys who have used the thunder kit.

The one I'm most familiar with has about 80000 miles on it.

Once upon a time they were having problems with the cams wearing badly.

If it were me, I'd look for a set of 1500A (or BUBF) cams and put bigger valves in the stock heads. And of course port and flow them.

It will cost less and wake it up.

MT

VBA 936

Old 05-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

thunder bigbore kit

the bore is still a 1/4" larger than a 96 cu in Hd.. 4.00 vs. 3.75

the HD stroke is quite a bit larger than the Nomad.

Stroke = more leverage = more torque...

since Kawasaki limited the rpm's to 5900, actually 5600 useful rpms I'm surprised its not a stroker motor instead.. a stroke longer than the bore is in diameter...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

thunder bigbore kit

BD, what is your point. It sounds like you have HD envy.

The bore and strokes are:

1500 4.02x3.5
1600 4.02x3.74

350 chevy 4.0x3.48

Longer strokes are generally associated with inline engines like Fords 4.9 I-6.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

thunder bigbore kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila

1500 4.02x3.5
1600 4.02x3.74

350 chevy 4.0x3.48

MT
More stroke always equals more torque. Check the big block Chevys. They are known for long stroke and lots of torque but substantially less RPM than the small blocks.

The 1700 is over square 4.02 x 4.09 (BxS) which allows taller gearing and an extra gear.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #8

thunder bigbore kit

I think you should check your facts Stan.

426 hemi 4.25 x 3.75

Boss 429 4.36 x 3.59

454 4.25 x 4.0

Oversquare, or short-stroke engineAn engine is described as oversquare or short-stroke if its cylinders have a greater bore diameter than its stroke length - giving a ratio value of greater than 1:1.

For example an engine which has 100 millimetres (3.94 in) bore and 80 millimetres (3.15 in) stroke has a bore/stroke value of:

100 mm / 80 mm = 1.25:1
An oversquare engine allows for more and larger valves in the head of the cylinder, lower friction losses (due to the reduced distance travelled during each engine rotation) and lower crank stress (due to the lower peak piston speed relative to engine speed). Because these characteristics favor higher engine speeds, oversquare engines are often tuned to develop peak torque at a relatively high speed.

The reduced stroke length allows for a shorter cylinder and sometimes a shorter connecting rod, generally making oversquare engines less tall than undersquare engines of similar engine displacement but wider and longer (for engines with vertical cylinder axes).

By changing the crankshaft and modifying the connecting rod(s), piston(s) and/or engine block an engine can be "de-stroked". This reduces the displacement and consequently the torque of the engine, but can allow it to run at higher speeds and in fact develop greater peak power.

[edit] Oversquare engine examplesOversquare engines are extremely common, including both Chevrolet and Ford small block V8s. Most Boxer (horizontally-opposed) engines (such as those built by Volkswagen, Porsche, and Subaru) feature oversquare designs since any increase in stroke length would result in twice the increase in overall engine size.

Undersquare, or long-stroke engineAn engine is described as undersquare or long-stroke if its cylinders have a smaller bore (width, diameter) than its stroke (length of piston travel) - giving a ratio value of less than 1:1.

For example an engine which has 90 millimetres (3.54 in) bore and 120 millimetres (4.72 in) stroke has a bore/stroke value of:

90 mm / 120 mm = 0.75:1
At a given engine speed, a longer stroke increases engine friction (since the piston travels a greater distance per stroke) and increases stress on the crankshaft (due to the higher peak piston speed). The smaller bore also reduces the area available for valves in the cylinder head, requiring them to be smaller or fewer in number. Because these factors favor lower engine speeds, undersquare engines are most often tuned to develop peak torque at relatively low speeds

The Chrysler Slant-6 engine, in its most common 225 cubic inch (3.7 litre) version, is a massively undersquare engine, with a 86 millimetres (3.39 in) bore and a 105 millimetres (4.13 in) stroke, producing most of its power right on the peak of its torque curve. The Achilles heel of this engine, otherwise known for its exceptional durability, is being over-revved by inexperienced drivers. Red line for a factory engine is under 4,500 revolutions per minute (rpm); red line with aftermarket connecting rods is about 5,500 rpm. On the other hand, a well-maintained Slant-6 can be made to idle as low as 75 rpm (though this is not a recommended speed - neither the alternator nor the oil pump will function adequately).

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

thunder bigbore kit

Quote:

1500 4.02x3.5
1600 4.02x3.74

350 chevy 4.0x3.48

MT
The point should be very apparent to most gear heads. Boring out the Nomad's already large bore with higher compression pistons to achieve a stronger engine will only introduce a more pinging prone hotter running Nomad...

If that's what one wants then "bore baby bore"...

I'm "theorizing" Nomad owners that wish for more power would want it from a torque point of view and not a "top end runner" given the design of what our Nomads are ridden for?

Since my point was missed let me shell out more info:

The Nomad's ECU limits the RPM's to 5900. In order to get more HP the torque output has to be made at a higher RPM. 5900rpm limited should suggest that the big HP route is not an easy task to do.

HD's at least got it right with their motors being "strokers" than bore monsters given the rpms a V-Twin operates at.....

No I'm not a big HD fan... their engines has huge design flaws as well. I was just answering the man's question as it was asked in the tone of "what if"..

Member # 0005

Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Advanced Member

thunder bigbore kit

In the hotrod world "stroker" means you changed the stroke of a factory motor it has nothing to do with factory specs. I think you mean to say that HD is an under square motor meaning the stroke is longer then the bore.
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

thunder bigbore kit

::) ::)

Member # 0005

Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #12

thunder bigbore kit

The Thunder piston really aren't high compression slugs. You're not going to get any more detonation.

Most guys will work the heads while they're off. That means improving air flow and removing hot spots. Less detonation is the result.

Besides, there aren't any stroker cranks readily available for a 1600. So the only way to get more from it, economically, is to punch it out and flow it.

I've never heard anybody want an undersquare engine before. Ever since the GM engineers found out how much more power you get from an oversquare engine, back in the early 50's, that has been recognized as the optimal configuration.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #13

thunder bigbore kit

if you increase the bore on the nomad, you will increase horsepower and torque throughout the rpm range. if you modify the cam duration and lift to enhance the increase in displacement, with out getting overly radical, you can get further gains of both torque and hp. from idle on up. i was wondering if the thunder cam was mild enough so that there was a gain in lowend torque and not a major gain at high rpm with no gain or a loss at low rpm. i fully understand the value of the bore to stroke ratio for different types of engine applications. an over square engine is capable of much better volumetric efficiency at high rpms which equates to more hp per cubic inch. if i was going to do the thunder kit i would clean up the heads and do a 3 angle valve job. i was just wondering in my original question if there was a substancial gain in the lowend seat of the pants feel to justify the cost, and work involved. i really am not interested in big gains at high rpms. i just want the engine to be a little torqier, and more responsive from idle on up.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

thunder bigbore kit

Quote:
The 1600 is a stroked 1500.

I know a couple of guys who have used the thunder kit.

The one I'm most familiar with has about 80000 miles on it.

Once upon a time they were having problems with the cams wearing badly.

If it were me, I'd look for a set of 1500A (or BUBF) cams and put bigger valves in the stock heads. And of course port and flow them.

It will cost less and wake it up.

MT
I'd save the hassle and buy a different bike. The Nomad is what it is, and that is ok. If you want a faster/quicker bike, buy one. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

thunder bigbore kit

Quote:
I think you should check your facts Stan.

426 hemi 4.25 x 3.75

Boss 429 4.36 x 3.59

454 4.25 x 4.0

Oversquare, or short-stroke engineAn engine is described as oversquare or short-stroke if its cylinders have a greater bore diameter than its stroke length - giving a ratio value of greater than 1:1.

For example an engine which has 100 millimetres (3.94 in) bore and 80 millimetres (3.15 in) stroke has a bore/stroke value of:

100 mm / 80 mm = 1.25:1
An oversquare engine allows for more and larger valves in the head of the cylinder, lower friction losses (due to the reduced distance travelled during each engine rotation) and lower crank stress (due to the lower peak piston speed relative to engine speed). Because these characteristics favor higher engine speeds, oversquare engines are often tuned to develop peak torque at a relatively high speed.

The reduced stroke length allows for a shorter cylinder and sometimes a shorter connecting rod, generally making oversquare engines less tall than undersquare engines of similar engine displacement but wider and longer (for engines with vertical cylinder axes).

By changing the crankshaft and modifying the connecting rod(s), piston(s) and/or engine block an engine can be "de-stroked". This reduces the displacement and consequently the torque of the engine, but can allow it to run at higher speeds and in fact develop greater peak power.

[edit] Oversquare engine examplesOversquare engines are extremely common, including both Chevrolet and Ford small block V8s. Most Boxer (horizontally-opposed) engines (such as those built by Volkswagen, Porsche, and Subaru) feature oversquare designs since any increase in stroke length would result in twice the increase in overall engine size.

Undersquare, or long-stroke engineAn engine is described as undersquare or long-stroke if its cylinders have a smaller bore (width, diameter) than its stroke (length of piston travel) - giving a ratio value of less than 1:1.

For example an engine which has 90 millimetres (3.54 in) bore and 120 millimetres (4.72 in) stroke has a bore/stroke value of:

90 mm / 120 mm = 0.75:1
At a given engine speed, a longer stroke increases engine friction (since the piston travels a greater distance per stroke) and increases stress on the crankshaft (due to the higher peak piston speed). The smaller bore also reduces the area available for valves in the cylinder head, requiring them to be smaller or fewer in number. Because these factors favor lower engine speeds, undersquare engines are most often tuned to develop peak torque at relatively low speeds

The Chrysler Slant-6 engine, in its most common 225 cubic inch (3.7 litre) version, is a massively undersquare engine, with a 86 millimetres (3.39 in) bore and a 105 millimetres (4.13 in) stroke, producing most of its power right on the peak of its torque curve. The Achilles heel of this engine, otherwise known for its exceptional durability, is being over-revved by inexperienced drivers. Red line for a factory engine is under 4,500 revolutions per minute (rpm); red line with aftermarket connecting rods is about 5,500 rpm. On the other hand, a well-maintained Slant-6 can be made to idle as low as 75 rpm (though this is not a recommended speed - neither the alternator nor the oil pump will function adequately).

MT
I will add to this though, a shorter stroke will allow a longer rod, which is an advantage with the increase of RPMs. Also, longer stroke also means higher piston speeds. 1 rpm is 1 rpm and with a longer stroke, it covers greater distance in the same time. This has an effect on cylinder and ring wear. Longer stroke engines tend to have shorter rods for a given block design... The 400 SBC is a case in point...Anyway, think trying to get much more power out of a 1500/1600 is a futile exercise, especially if you want reliability and longevity.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11