Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #1

Have you ever been in a moving motorcycle accident

Have you ever been in a moving motorcycle accident? If so, tell a brief history of what happened.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I think most everybody has heard my tale of woe.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I think most everybody has heard my tale of woe.
About 700 pages worth, right? ::) ;)
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

I was riding my first bike 74 Suzuki GT380 down an unfamiliar road with friends. Started into a curve a little too fast and felt the bike starting to slide to the outside so I leaned a little more only to find out that it was leftover road salt from the winter before, next thing I new i was still going around the curve only without my bike, it was about 10 feet a head of me sliding on her side and I tucked and rolled the best I could but still got a good case of road rash and a lesson about loose gravel. I was probably only going about 45 but after hitting the pavement it felt like 100.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #5

19 years old riding my 90cc Bridgestone with one of my inexperienced buddys. He said lets go by Linda's house. Long story short I thought we were taking one route, he thought we were taking a different route.I turned before he did and we hit each other. I went down he did not.
Fast forward 40 years. Coming back from Americade with Cindy on back of 650 Yamaha. Come to sweeping curve, something in road, change line to outside of curve. Uh Oh, heading off pavement. Fixate on edge of road, can't lean it back, I'm going to hit the gravel and we are going down. Screw that, I straighten it up and take the field. I will just ride it out and slow down, forgot to pull in clutch, back wheel slides out and down we go. Luckily it was a clover field. We come off bike just before it highsides. Couple of the nicest slides in the grass you could ever see.
It wasn't 3 min. and a State Police car pulls up. Everyone OK he asks. Yes we reply. OK he says and off he goes.

You can see the tire tracks in the above photo. I never even saw that sign till I came back to take the picture.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #6

I got tagged from behind while slowing coming to a stop light.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I got broad sided by a fast starter at a traffic light. I was on my Goldwing with my young son behind me. Luckily the saddlebags and crash bars saved us. I was told by someone behind us that my son flipped in the air and landed on his feet. I went down with the bike on the left side. Hurt my shoulder lifting the bike with no help. About $2,000 in damage to the Goldwing.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Dumped the bike a few times in the early '70s. Dirt tracking and hill climbing. I wouldn't list them as accidents though. Too much fun and I was immortal back then!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #9

Ive been down twice, first time almost thirty years ago I hit a patch of road where a garbage truck had blown a hydraulic line.
I hit that at about 60mph and the bike went out from under me, I slid and was covered in oil which actually helped a lot to keep me from getting hurt. The bike was a writeoff.
My second time was three weeks ago were I got into a bad speed wobble, Im still mending from that one.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #10

This is an interesting one that happened to me. I posted it last year when it happened: One morning before dawn on my way to work I was coming off a curve doing about 40 and caught a flash of movement hurtling toward me from the right. I instinctively grabbed for it with my throttle hand while trying to raise my leg out of the way. Next thing I know, I am left with a confused image of a brown head twisted into my bike/leg, a sore finger and a calf that feels like someone took a swing at it with a baseball bat. But I am tracking straight and nothing feels wrong with the bike. I almost always have this kind of luck. Unlucky enough to get hit but my guardian angel arranged it for the least amount of damage.
1. Normally I would have my brights on for the peripheral light to spot deer, but I a was approaching several cars and had dimmed so I couldn't see much to the side. (probably a good thing since if I had seen it coming I might have braked and she would have hit the front tire or I might have hit her and I would have been down. 2. If the deer had seen it coming and tried to jump me, she might have swept me off the bike. 3. If I hadn't had that image of something coming she would have caught me in the knee. And maybe, but probably not, my slamming down with my hand helped her get her head turned a bit and lessened the impact. (I can tell you there is nothing soft about a deers head.) 4. Years of riding kept me from doing something stupid and bringing myself down (or I just got lucky) 5) The weight of a 1700 Nomad and a 200 pound rider meant that the deer just didn't have the impact to knock me over. Anyway, we all know it is dangerous to read the paper or text while riding but I can tell you wrestling deer isn't something you want to do either.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #11

Back in high school I had a Honda 350/4 when little 80 yo lady turn in front of me. I didn't have time to stop so I tried to make it around her. I almost did too. Her front driver's side bumper caught me right at my left footpeg. I went off the high side and the bike went under her car. Broken left foot and ankle,dislocated right shoulder and road rash on right arm and back. The wreck wasn't anything compared to what happened when I healed up enough to go back to school. I skipped one day and went to my buddy's house where I left my bike,fixed the bike enough to get her started,strapped my crutches to the side,rigged a rope to upshift and rode her home. My parents were not happy to say the least. Fast forward 30 years and I finally talk my Mother into going for a ride on my Nomad. She loved it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #12

ive been hit by a car on my bike and been down from a pot hole that was so deep it threw me off my bike

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #13

In 2005 I was riding a '03 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (man, I miss that bike) on Route 66 between Tulsa & Oklahoma City. It was just about sundown and I was running about 70... I was trying to get to OKC to meet my girlfriend at the time for dinner. I came up on a left hand corner, then the road straightened out for about 100 yards and then there is a right hand corner. In between the two corners, there is a small rise in the road.

The only thing that I can think of that happened, is when I crested the small rise between the two turns, enough weight came off the front wheel and I didn't have the control to make the right hand turn. I went across the other lane and into the grass on the edge of the road (no shoulder). I had the bike straight and hit the brakes to stop. As soon as I hit the brakes, my front wheel hit a big hole, which turned the wheel to the left. This threw the bike down on it's right side back onto the road. As it was going down, I had just enough time to kick myself away from it.

I rolled once, and slid on my stomach for quite a distance (I thought). When I put my hands down to stand up, I rolled 2 more times and back onto my stomach and kept sliding. So, I just closed my eyes and waited for a little bit. I finally opened my eyes and saw that I wasn't moving anymore, so I got up and found my bike about 3 feet from me on the edge of the road. I tried stepping off the distance and decided I had slid about 70-80 feet on the road. I had some nice road rash on my right leg from the knee down, but since I was wearing full gear, that's all the damage I had. The right side of my bike, on the other hand, looked like it went through a cheese grater. Insurance totaled the bike and cut me a check.

I was able to ride the bike into OKC after I wrecked it, though. It rode fine, just looked like crap.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
Advanced Member

The car was at the Stop sign.
We made eye contact.
He pulled out in front of me.
Into the tobacco field I went.
Over the handle bars of my Honda.
He left me there with a broken collar bone.
I picked up my bike and rode it to the ER.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

4 times.

1. The first bike, I was STUPID and looked at my new tach a instant too long. Hit a car hard enough to ding my ft fender. Don't recall what year it was.

2. May 10 1979, nearly killed, should have died. Got run over by a drunk, who ran a stop sign. Killed my Trident dead.

3. Aug 05 Trailer jumped the hitch as best I can tell. 01 Nomad. Bruised our hips, I cut my wife's elbow to the bone, and I broke 3 lower right ribs. Got the bike to a for crap dealer who over charged, even did a warrentee repair I didn't need, and charged Progressive for that too as well as Ma Kawii. The costs nearly totalled the whole bike.

4 Aug 09 Hit a jeep that hit a Moose, and there went another ft fender 06 Nomad.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it