Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

1400 miles on GYTT ..... and trip to Maine

Ok, let me start by giving you some basics about our ride:

me: 250 lbs (I'm not fat, just under tall) yeah ::)

Son: 6'2" 200 lbs (he doesn't suffer my plight)

gear: about 60 lbs

GYTT: 35 psi (new tire)

2006 Nomad, Mustang seat

My son plans to enlist in the Air Force after graduation next year, so this was a chance to create some memories . We left Friday morning to travel up the coast of Maine. The tire ran well at 50+ mph. The roads were ok/good. I found I was bottoming out frequently and didn't have a pump to check or add air to the shocks. We spent the night in Bar Harbor. Harley rider at the motel had a pump but I wasn't sure how much to put in, I thought I had read that the max psi was ten ::). There was only five psi in each shock. I brought it up to seven ::). ( I now have a pump and 30 psi in each shock). Rode up Cadillac Mt. Saturday morning. Some tight corners riding up and down the mountain. Spent Saturday riding mostly route one up the coast, not very good road. My brother-in-law wanted to add air with a pump at the gas station but I said I would wait, although I was tempted, my back was taking a beating! Up around Ft. Kent (about as far north as you can go) the roads were crap! Cracks (which the GYTT liked to follow) heaves in the road, even a section that was shaped like a "W" (more curvy then pointed) in both lanes. The GYTT did NOT like riding on that, I was swerving back and forth trying to control the bike! Sunday afternoon we rode 225 miles in the rain, I didn't notice any difference in how the bike handled the wet road. Monday we rode to the Rangley lake area. Beautiful country, nasty roads. We rode RT 2 west, then RT 17. Route 17 had some magnificent views, but the worst road I have ever driven! We were in first gear diving back and forth trying to avoid the worst parts of the road (remember I only had seven pounds in my shocks). For a tourist area one would think the roads would be in better shape. From there the ride home was very nice, all good roads in northern NH. I reduced the air pressure in GYTT to 33 psi today, I haven't ridden much since then but it seems a little better handling. I was reasonably comfortable on the Mustang seat, some butt burn but not any worse then I expected for so much saddle time. My son found the rider pillion to be a real pain for him, I had a couple on sheepskin pads that he used along with tylenol. All was good except the shocks and the rain on Sunday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

I couldn't agree more about the roads in northern Maine. They suck! But if you want to see roads that REALLY suck, try Nova Scotia! Went there 2 years ago. Beautiful country but horrendous roads. I think it's got to do with the environment. Tough winters do a job on asphalt. Same problem in Maine. Cabot Trail had been recently asphalted and was excellent, but between the potholes, frost heaves and road construction it was a rough ride. I would go back in a car but not a bike. I hope our neighbors to the north do not take offense. I think you guys are great. After all, you gave us the great game of hockey and us Bruins fans thank you.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

We HOPE to travel to Nova Scotia sometime in the next 5 years. Hopefully they will be better by then.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr475
I couldn't agree more about the roads in northern Maine. They suck! But if you want to see roads that REALLY suck, try Nova Scotia! Went there 2 years ago. Beautiful country but horrendous roads. I think it's got to do with the environment. Tough winters do a job on asphalt. Same problem in Maine. Cabot Trail had been recently asphalted and was excellent, but between the potholes, frost heaves and road construction it was a rough ride. I would go back in a car but not a bike.
Northern Maine? Try going up 201 to the Jackman area and venture off 201. It's almost all gravel in some areas. It's great if you have a bike that can handle it I suppose. Lots of out of the way places.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr475
But if you want to see roads that REALLY suck, try Nova Scotia! I hope our neighbors to the north do not take offense.
If you think that's bad, try out the roads here in Newfoundland where we can have 5 seasons in one day!

Not really, the roads here are kept in better shape, but the roads in Nova Scotia should be better, their weather is better (I'm originally from Nova Scotia) I guess it's not a priority for the provincial government, too bad as it will bite them in the tourist butt.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #6

Deacon, the rough roads, cracks and ruts, are where the GYTT really shines on my bike ('05 1600). I run 28 psi cold in my tire, about 20 in the shocks, and when riding solo the rebound is set on I. Riding 2 up loaded, the rebound is set on IIII, and for varying weight in between the rebound is adjusted accordingly. The swing arm and drive shaft is in tip-top shape also. The only situation I don't like with the GYTT is when one lane of asphalt is higher than the other (like when they are re-paving a road) but I don't like that with any tire on a motorcycle.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
Deacon, the rough roads, cracks and ruts, are where the GYTT really shines on my bike ('05 1600). I run 28 psi cold in my tire, about 20 in the shocks, and when riding solo the rebound is set on I. Riding 2 up loaded, the rebound is set on IIII, and for varying weight in between the rebound is adjusted accordingly. The swing arm and drive shaft is in tip-top shape also. The only situation I don't like with the GYTT is when one lane of asphalt is higher than the other (like when they are re-paving a road) but I don't like that with any tire on a motorcycle.
It may be because I was running 35 psi. I just reduced it to 33 today. Just got back from a ride with my wife and the bike seemed to handle fine. Then again she is only 125 lbs and I'm not on Maine roads. I may reduce it some more after I've ridden at 33 psi for a week or so.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Sounds like you had a memory making trip with you son, roads aside.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

Thats a good note to keep in mind about the roads on the Cabot Trail. I'll make sure to look into it before I go out there.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

I don't doubt that the roads are bad in northern Maine. They would probably suit me just fine. South Louisiana roads are beyond crap.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Sounds like you had a memory making trip with you son, roads aside.
Yup, he will remember how sore his butt was for awhile He had the camera on the back of the bike and took about 500 pictures

Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

You saved the shocks by not blowing them up with a large tank comp.... No man can add air and get off the air fast enough for that. The effect would have been instant dead shocks no oil and blown seals.

The Kanc was done over 2 years ago and is begining to come undone too. Several places are very rough below the top to the east and between Bear Notch Rd.

I don't dare ride it over the limit anymore, for the winnebago crew doing K turns on the corners. I don't understand whats wrong with people.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it