Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Advanced Member

How About Riding the "Dragon"?

Would like to hear from those that have actually rode the infamous Dragon.
318 curves in 11 miles.

I hear that there is a "Tree of Shame" for the ones that didnt make it.
On this tree hangs wrecked bikes, parts, and debri of all sorts. Some say there are some that went over (there are no guard rails) and were never found, and many bikes that they just cant get to because of the very steep terrain.

Anyway I do plan on Riding the Dragon sometime soon, my bike has been there, but not with me, (it has the Dragon decals). If I dont end up on the tree of shame, "knock on wood", I will get my T-Shirt and Dragon Tattoo, and be on my way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Great ride , and not as bad as they say . Ride to your ability and you will be fine. The tree of shame are of those who rode harder than their ability IMO oh and buy the pictures from the guys set up on the road, Amazing!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

I rode it. There are other routes that are as perilous but are not advertised in the area. From gatlinburg to mt. Sterling north carolina there is one with more curves. Just not a store at the bottom selling t shirts.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Speed is limited to 35. Trust me, that is fast enough and for most of it too fast. Not a difficult road at all but it is over rated. My biggest issue was oncoming sports cars and power rangers on my side of the street. That convinced me that once through was enough.

Don't overdrive your ability and remember that with that many turns the next one can exceed your ability before you know it. That is how the 'tree of shame' gets decorated.

In case you want to know I also did it with a light truck tire on the rear. Piece of cake.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

I live less than 10 mile away if you ride your ability and the speed limit and DO NOT sight see while you are riding you will be OK keep your eyes on road and mind on the road and you will be fine if you go from Calderwood lake up the Dragon the drop off is on your side of the road if you come from NC side and come down the Dragon you have ditches on your side of the road. Enjoy your ride

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Speed is limited to 35. Trust me, that is fast enough and for most of it too fast. Not a difficult road at all but it is over rated. My biggest issue was oncoming sports cars and power rangers on my side of the street. That convinced me that once through was enough.

Don't overdrive your ability and remember that with that many turns the next one can exceed your ability before you know it. That is how the 'tree of shame' gets decorated.

In case you want to know I also did it with a light truck tire on the rear. Piece of cake.

The hardest part of riding the Dragon for Idaho was finding it in the first place.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

While its a great ride, I find it a long way to go for an hours worth of twisties and there are too many jackasses clogging up the place. Go during the middle of the week.

While in the area, come on down to Blairsville GA and visit The Biker Barn and ride The Gauntlet. 130 miles of the best variety of riding in the area.

Afterwards, head to the Copperhead Lodge and stay the night. Great rooms, cabins, a bunkhouse, fantastic restaurant and bar.

I know it sounds like a commercial but you wont regret the trip.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #8

The Dragon is defiantly a road to tick off as a been there done that accomplishment. There is so much hype and mystic about it that you can get yourself over worked about it. It is important as others have said to ride at your own pace and look far ahead at your intended line through the corners. I found second gear to be about best for the corners and often better to just let the bike rev in the short strait aways than shift up and down constantly.
If you are down there, make sure you ride as much of the Blue Ridge Parkway as you can also. A completely different style. Not much traffic, lots of big sweeping curves, tunnels and great scenery.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

While you are in the area I prefer the Cherohala Skyway to the Dragon. They can be looped together very easily.

www.cherohala.com

Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #10

I think its way over hyped for what it really is. If you stick to the speed limit and watch where your going its not that bad a road. You should try it, its neat to say you have been there.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Advanced Member

The Dragon is my short cut from West Knoxville to the southern portion of Western NC. Too many cars to get up any speed. The Skyway is a more ejoyable ride. The area is loaded with great mc rides. The SE Regional is in the middle of June. Centered in Townsend. Should be plenty of good rides with ample local knowledge on hand.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #12

Did it with my 1500 Classic about 8 years ago when I was still a fairly inexperienced rider. Like everyone has said just ride to your level of competency. I found it a rush and compared it to a snow skiing a slalom course going back and forth and in and out of the turns. And Cherhola is great too.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
There is so much hype and mystic about it that you can get yourself over worked about it.
That is what happened to me. Being a new rider and all. After I did it, it wasn't that bad after all. Just have fun and keep you mind and senses about you. Do what feels comfortable to you. Don't worry about what is behind you. Ride at your pace. Have one when you get back.

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
The hardest part of riding the Dragon for Idaho was finding it in the first place.
If you're going to tell a story Tim at least get it right. I did not have any trouble FINDING IT. My problem was I could not get away from it after I left it. Yes, I was lost. Still convinced that the twilight zone is down there somewhere.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
If you're going to tell a story Tim at least get it right. I did not have any trouble FINDING IT. My problem was I could not get away from it after I left it. Yes, I was lost. Still convinced that the twilight zone is down there somewhere.
OK we have the time let's hear the whole story Bud.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136