Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Power commander

After getting 28 mpg on my new to 08 Nomad 1600 (less than my car) I did some research and cleaned the throttle body what a dang mess, don't think the previous owner ever cleaned it, or atleast not in a while. Also found that I have a power commander III. I don't have any USB cable that came with it, is there a way to determine what setting it is on? I thought about pulling it off completely, don't need the extra performance with a 1600, but I want to make sure it runs good and is all ok..
Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Ride safe!

vtlkmonster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTlkmonster View Post
After getting 28 mpg on my new to 08 Nomad 1600 (less than my car) I did some research and cleaned the throttle body what a dang mess, don't think the previous owner ever cleaned it, or atleast not in a while. Also found that I have a power commander III. I don't have any USB cable that came with it, is there a way to determine what setting it is on? I thought about pulling it off completely, don't need the extra performance with a 1600, but I want to make sure it runs good and is all ok..
Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Ride safe!

vtlkmonster
Does the bike have aftermarket exhaust and a modified air intake? If so, the PCIII is needed. It also could have been installed to correct a pinging problem. You can only get so much performance out of one of these bikes. 28mpg is pitiful, though - you should be getting mid-30's at a minimum. I'd try to find a USB cable that will work and install the Dynojet software on your computer to see which map is installed in the PCIII. It could be the wrong map. You could also try different maps to see if your mileage improves.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #3

The bike has after market vance and hines dually exhaust, but the air filter etc is stock. I will check around to try to get a cable.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Scrubbing out the throttle body should make a big difference in the mileage.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #5

I used a tooth brush and some seafoam, I could not get over how black everything.. I made sure to rinse the tooth brush good before I gave it back to the wife... :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTlkmonster View Post
I used a tooth brush and some seafoam, I could not get over how black everything.. I made sure to rinse the tooth brush good before I gave it back to the wife... :)
LOL! That's funny!

I'd leave the processor on there and see if you can figure out the mapping or get it corrected. I think you'll regret it if you pull it off the bike. If you get one of Chuckster's intakes (he's a forum member), you'll really get the bike to where it should be.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 different mini USB's.

Also, you might already have the one you need on the charger for your cell phone, or old cell phone charger. Also a camera, or on a computer printer. Depends on brand.

The web site has everything you need to get the correct map. I did this, and used the comparison feature. It showed the existing map was correct. But, I up loaded a new version anyway, and my mileage issue disappeared.

The PC's do lose their maps, or partial elements in them.

BTW, anyone reading the thread for potential purchase. Be sure that you do not get the EX model PC. It's the California version, and custom maps done on a dyno tune cannot be entered/accepted by this model.
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Last edited by puckoach; 07-19-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

You can get the USB cable here http://powercommander.com/powercomma...ent_parts.aspx

I have the same Power Commander and had the same problem. It was on the bike when I bought it. You need to install the software to your computer and then you can upload "maps" that make the desired adjustments.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Mono price.com is usually the best place to get stuff like that.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Is what you want.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

any USB cable with a mini plug will work, as Puckoach said, chances are you already have one around the house.

I have the same setup as you and discovered the big difference between having the correct map loaded and not loaded. If you pull your battery in the winter (or anytime you disconnect it), you have to remember to reload the map when you hook the battery back up and start riding in the spring. I forgot the first spring and my mileage dropped significantly and it just didn't run as well. I have heard the PCIII can drop the program or parts of it, so for good measure every so often I reload the map just to be safe, it is a 2 minute job unless you a break from the kids, then it is a very long and complicated job

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #11

Ok, so I was able to get a USB cord and I hooked up the computer tonight. I downloaded (I think) the correct map.. So the question is, how do I know the map took? also, should I "tweek" this at all?

Thanks again

Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Using the Dynojet software on your laptop, you can see which map is loaded in the Power Commander. I think you click on the "Get Map" button.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Once you have the Power comander software open, get the map:

M220-001

Once that opens, hit send Map

Note, M220-502 is the same set up, with baffles removed.

BTW, a friend that is a auto tech by trade, is having trouble with his PC. Has been talking back and forth with people at DynoJet. He says they are awesome, a pleasure to deal with, and helped him greatly.
Good Luck
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #14

Still poor mileage

So, I have the PCIII programmed correctly, (Vance&Hines duals with stock air filter) and cleaned the throttle body, I just filled up today on the way to a charity lunch event. 29.7 miles per gallon, 107 miles and the light was on already. The bike took 3.6 gallons I belive. Still horrible mileage, I don't race it, I am 250 and out of the 107 miles I did probably 70 on the interstate doing 65-70. I just don't get it! The bike seems to run good other than the crappy mpg.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #15

Something still doesn't sound right. Try removing the power Commander for a tank of gas and see if that fixes the mileage. Then you will know if its the PC or something else causing the problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951