Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Advanced Member

V & H pipes

So, after 5 years and 70k the rear pipe broke! And man did it break! Almost to the point of falling off. There was a slight backfire and a pop and then just loud. Pulled the rear section off and it was only held by a 1/2" piece of metal. I cannot believe how thin the metal is in those pipes! Welded everything back up and then added 4 pieces of keystock lenghtwise as to give the repair some support. I guess V & H still doesn't believe they have a design problem of quality issue, but I do! I think the curve where it goes under the centre causes stress on the first bend and eventually it just breaks. I will be looking at some way of putting a exhaust hanger under there to help take some weight off the s bend!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

I put a heat shield in the center between the two curves so the back tire doesn't eat a hole in mine. I noticed the pitting right after I got the true duals on the Nomad. Ain't had any problems in 25000 miles, knock on wood, I use my head.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #3

They'll never admit theres a problem. I think a heavier gauge tubing would solve the problem for them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy View Post
So, after 5 years and 70k the rear pipe broke! And man did it break! Almost to the point of falling off. There was a slight backfire and a pop and then just loud. Pulled the rear section off and it was only held by a 1/2" piece of metal. I cannot believe how thin the metal is in those pipes! Welded everything back up and then added 4 pieces of keystock lenghtwise as to give the repair some support. I guess V & H still doesn't believe they have a design problem of quality issue, but I do! I think the curve where it goes under the centre causes stress on the first bend and eventually it just breaks. I will be looking at some way of putting a exhaust hanger under there to help take some weight off the s bend!
Is this a common occurance with the Baggers? Is there something one could do at the outset to prevent this?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Yes, and no... to answer your questions. V&H knows about the problem and refuses to fix it. Many members here have had this same issue. The only real hope in keeping it from happening, and this is a "maybe it won't happen" kind of deal, is to mount everything loose first. Then starting from the back of the exhuast/bike, start tightening bolts and hangers. While doing this, wiggle the pipes so they will "settle" into place, then tighten some more.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

IntheWind, I had the same issue right after purchasing my '08 Nomad, and a quick Google search indicated this happened more often than it should. I recently emailed V&H about this same issue, in a very non agressive way:

Quote:
Hello. I have a pair of the touring duals on my 2008 Vulcan Nomad, and after only 23,000 miles, the head pipe on the rear jug has cracked.

1) Is this a common issue?
2) Is a replacement head pipe available, and if so, how much is it including shipping to Oklahoma?
3) If this is a common issue, have any modifications been made to the head pipes to address this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help/response.
...and their response was (quoted from the email I received):

Quote:
The rear cylinder head fires hotter than the front. Which causes the pipe to run really hot. There is nothing that can be done. Its the way the engines was built.
It sounds like their either blaming the design of the V-Twin, or Ma Kaw themselves? I didn't follow up by asking why the stock pipes didn't seem to have this problem, or why pipes from other manufacturers didn't seem to have the same problem, but apparently they still do not admit that there is a problem at all.

Rewind, At least ya got 70k miles out of yours! I don't know how the last set was installed, but this time, after getting the pipe welded/patched, I was very careful to make sure that there was no stress on the head pipe when I put it back on the bike. I *STILL* love the sound of these pipes! The price quoted for a new rear head pipe was around 70 bucks, FYI. Not a horrible replacement cost, but I'm hoping that I don't have to add this to a list of regular maintenance costs!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black
B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter
VBA #02190

Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
IntheWind, I had the same issue right after purchasing my '08 Nomad, and a quick Google search indicated this happened more often than it should. I recently emailed V&H about this same issue, in a very non agressive way:

It sounds like their either blaming the design of the V-Twin, or Ma Kaw themselves? I didn't follow up by asking why the stock pipes didn't seem to have this problem, or why pipes from other manufacturers didn't seem to have the same problem, but apparently they still do not admit that there is a problem at all.

Rewind, At least ya got 70k miles out of yours! I don't know how the last set was installed, but this time, after getting the pipe welded/patched, I was very careful to make sure that there was no stress on the head pipe when I put it back on the bike. I *STILL* love the sound of these pipes! The price quoted for a new rear head pipe was around 70 bucks, FYI. Not a horrible replacement cost, but I'm hoping that I don't have to add this to a list of regular maintenance costs!
I had Long Shots on my 1500. I noticed after about 2 years the top pipe started to discolor in the strangest place--right in the middle of the pipe just below the passenger footrest. I called and spoke to a customer service rep. about it. He couldn't explain to me why this had happened but he had a solution: he said if I couldn't live with it, V&H would sell me that piece of the top pipe for $100. Over the next several years I never saw a used set of Long Shots that didn't have that brown spot. It's clearly a defect that they've chosen not to deal with. Hearing this about the Baggers I'm now wishing I had gone with Cobra.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

I had a V&H two into one on my 96, 1500 classic, that did the same thing. I found out that the baffle had a sealed end exactly where the brown stain you mention was on my bikes pipe. It was my guess this was the culprit, but I've never come across a posting that mentioned it before.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Advanced Member

I am not sure if it will work - but I think if one was to add thin strips of 1/16 - 1/8 metal lengthwise along the pipe where the has the weak point it would not break? I am wondering if the first bend is weak and the heat and vibration is the real culprit? I was at a Bike Club meeting last night and a buddy from the Hat stated his Harley which he put V & H pipes on had already broke a pipe and it's only 2 years old. They sold him another head pipe for $100 and sent him on his way. So, it appears it's not just Nomads!!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

This is why I will not recommend V&H to anyone. I wouldn't buy their pipes for my Harley, even though there is no such issue with those bikes.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
This is why I will not recommend V&H to anyone. I wouldn't buy their pipes for my Harley, even though there is no such issue with those bikes.
Ditto. My Nomad came with the pipes already installed, and it's cheaper to fix than to go out and replace 'em... but I sure won't buy their products for any of my future rides, or recommend them to anyone either.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black
B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter
VBA #02190

Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

That response from V&H is a load of crap, and agree on not recommending them in the future.

My weld job has held up over the last 7,000 or so miles.. fingers crossed. If it breaks again, I'm gonna go back to stock pipes and be done with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103.jpg (91.7 KB, 29 views)

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #13

My repair has held up about 50k so far, and I agree that their customer service has a lot to be desired.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

Does anyone a picture of the crack area - about to install a set(used) on mine and wanted to know if there was something to remedy like lik heat shields, etc?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500ccs View Post
Does anyone a picture of the crack area - about to install a set(used) on mine and wanted to know if there was something to remedy like lik heat shields, etc?
There's a picture in post #12.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009