Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

Need to add a charging outlet

I am looking for ideas for mounting a charging outlet. I have a trip upcoming in June and I will need to be able to charge my cell phone on the bike, and charge the GPS while riding. Pics of where you mounted them would be helpful. Also, any resource for the outlet and wiring would be a help too. Thanks in advance!

John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #2

I used the available leads inside the headlight and have the outlet hanging loose between the bars and windshield. There is a big opening behind the headlight to run the wires. Note that those leads are not switched so always hot.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

I mounted 2 on my 01 Nomad, and will likely mount 2 on my 06.

The 01 : The first one was just a ordinary car lighter set with a 90 degree chrome mount from walmart. I mounted it off set to one bolt one the windscreen on the right as i sat. it severed for lighting up, running a digital voltmeter most of the time and charging.

I took a trip, and so added another lighter like socket with a cap, inside the tool box area, with no more than velcro, up high so if water got in there it wouldn't sit in a pond.

I made a coiled wire adapter to run from there to a back back on the luggage frame, and concealed all the wires.

The wiring is easy. I left the assories wires as they were and ran new wire, with 10 amp in line fuses right from the battery.

So pretty much you couldn't see them, unless you looked real hard. You can add so many as you wish.

All my grounds were short and added to a bolt, and or nut as I saw fit.

The hardest part was running the (+) wires through the red plastic (+) cover at the battery.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #4

I got mine from JP Cycle, and I got 1 from Wally World..it has a flip top...I like the idea of mounting it in the tool area, I used a Chrome P Clamp to mount on the handle bars...ALSO check a Marine Supply store.. They have waterproff models Rich

Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Different bike than a Nomad, as this is a xs 850 sh yammi, but I mounted that lighter there in 1999, and it still is there.

it shows the mounting braket type, and this socket is mounted in a rubber dohicky off a vw rabbit idiot engine light counter rubber boot.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #6

You could connect a lighter to the spare wires under the seat, and run it into your saddlebag. I have one mounted in my fairing, and find it quite handy.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

I mounted a standard 12v outlet I picked up at Walmart for $6-$7. My goal was to have an always on outlet positioned such that I could charge my cell or mp3 player and leave the device in the saddlebag. As I've mentioned here before, I don't like drilling holes in expensive parts of my bike like saddlebags, etc. I mounted mine to the right rear upper bag guard bolt. I connected the power lead to one of the free connectors under the seat.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions!

John

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #9

I bought the Formotion power pod. It is not cheap, but looks good and is a nice piece of crome work. It has a heavy duty crome cap and is water proof. The bottom has a receptical for a sae2 connector, allowing two kook ups. I mounted mine on the handlebar. Also bought the Formotion clip-it. Anything that fits on a belt clip will work. Use for cell phone and Ipod.
Ordered from CruiserCustomizing.com

Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelfritz
I bought the Formotion power pod. It is not cheap, but looks good and is a nice piece of crome work. It has a heavy duty crome cap and is water proof. The bottom has a receptical for a sae2 connector, allowing two kook ups. I mounted mine on the handlebar. Also bought the Formotion clip-it. Anything that fits on a belt clip will work. Use for cell phone and Ipod.
Ordered from CruiserCustomizing.com
The Formotion Power Pod lists for $119.95. Dennis Kirk has them for $84.99. Still overpriced in my opinion, but $35 less overpriced.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

My trickle charger is wired directly to my battery and the male/female end plugs into a cig lighter adapter encluded with the trickle charger.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
My trickle charger is wired directly to my battery and the male/female end plugs into a cig lighter adapter encluded with the trickle charger.
Which charger came with that. Mines direct wired to battery for the tender JR. Don't recall the adapter but I like that idea. Wonder where I could get the adapter if it would work with mine.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #13

You can get that cigarette lighter adaptor at any Radio Shack and most Auto parts stores. I don't like them because the male part tends to vibrate apart. For my battery I also have the Battery Tender Jr. and I just use the fused male/female bullet plug that came with it. It takes two hands to plug in, but it's more reliable.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

I don't leave the stupid adapter plugged in unless I'm going to use it Cad. It's just there as a bonus with the charger. If I need a power source it's there. the adapter is in my saddlebag safe and sound and hasn't fallen apart yet.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 04-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

WallyWorld sells it in a bubble pack. I know Cad you don't like black and decker either LOL! Here

Member # 0005