Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Nomad 1700 Cruise Control

Has anyone noticed issues with the resume feature on their cruise control? I have noticed that if I stop at a light or slow down to say less than about 30 or so, the resume doesn't do anything. I have to set the speed again and then as long as I am only slowing down a few miles per hour or so, then it works fine. I know it doesn't work below a given speed in a given gear, I understand that from the manual. But, even in a car you can be doing 65 or whatever with it set, stop at a light, proceed back up to at least 40 or so, hit the resume and it will maintain the previous speed set. It seems this should be similar. Once I get back up to speed and in the same gear, resume does nothing. Any opinions or experience please, thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

I don't believe the cruise will work below a certain speed, that may have something to do with it, check your manual.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsharris2011 View Post
Has anyone noticed issues with the resume feature on their cruise control? I have noticed that if I stop at a light or slow down to say less than about 30 or so, the resume doesn't do anything. I have to set the speed again and then as long as I am only slowing down a few miles per hour or so, then it works fine. I know it doesn't work below a given speed in a given gear, I understand that from the manual. But, even in a car you can be doing 65 or whatever with it set, stop at a light, proceed back up to at least 40 or so, hit the resume and it will maintain the previous speed set. It seems this should be similar. Once I get back up to speed and in the same gear, resume does nothing. Any opinions or experience please, thanks.
My 2011 Vaquero acts the same way. I thought, according to the manual, that resume only works at speeds above 30 and must be reset once you have come to a stop or reduced speed to below 30.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

If you go below 30 mph or into 2nd gear you loose resume memory. Must reset cruise.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the response. I guess that makes sense. I was just used to how it works in a car. Also, my 2007 Ultra acted the same as a car cruise. I could come to a complete stop and after getting to at least 4th or 5th gear, I could hit resume and it would continue to the preset speed, even if I was in 6th when the speed was originally set. Thanks again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #6

Just giving a heads up on cruise control as someone might have same problem I had. I drove for about 5 hours in the rain and bike got plenty dirty in that time. Next morning got up and went again but this time the cruise would not work. I pondered for a moment and though hummm maybe the sensor on rear wheel is real dirty. Stopped at a car wash and hosed the bike off and had a wonderful time using the cruise again. It was just dirty and works perfect every time.

So hose off that rear wheel if it ever stops working is my solution. Also feels better riding it when it shines.

Last edited by buckey1313; 06-26-2014 at 06:17 AM.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I don't believe the cruise will work below a certain speed, that may have something to do with it, check your manual.
"I know it doesn't work below a given speed in a given gear, I understand that from the manual."

I wonder why the OP never thought of that?