Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

coolant from overflow tube

need some advice please. Every time I take the bike out for a ride, and park, when I come back there is coolant, not a lot but some on the ground right were the the black hose comes out under the bike. I have checked the level in the reservoir tank and it is right between the high and low marks. The tube is wet were it is dripping from. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Others have had the same thing happen, and often it stops on its own. It doesn't mean theres a problem, but just keep an eye on it for a bit to see if it stops dripping.
I thinks that hose connects to the water pump if I'm not mistaken.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

There is more than one rubber hose that can leak coolant. There is one from the tank and exits under the bike just in front of the swing arm. A second one is near the front of the motor, right hand side. This is a weeping hose in the water pump should anti freeze get between the oil seal and coolant seal on the pump shaft. If it is this second one you may need to change the seal, but sometimes they stop leaking all by them selves. The end of this hose on mine has been slightly wet on and off since new, but has never dripped antifreeze on the ground.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
There is more than one rubber hose that can leak coolant. There is one from the tank and exits under the bike just in front of the swing arm. A second one is near the front of the motor, right hand side. This is a weeping hose in the water pump should anti freeze get between the oil seal and coolant seal on the pump shaft. If it is this second one you may need to change the seal, but sometimes they stop leaking all by them selves. The end of this hose on mine has been slightly wet on and off since new, but has never dripped antifreeze on the ground.
I've had to do one of these. Not a bad job. I did mine when it had 6000 miles or so and it's got 22,000 now. Mine started as a slow leak and eventually would just dump the entire contents of the radiator .

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 12-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

i had same problem it went away after they changed the cap on the radiator said it wasnt seating right they put new one no more leak

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I have had coolant drip from the hose from the water pump, then it stopped all by itself.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

There is a dual seal system on the shaft from inside the engine that drives the external water pump. On the engine sided there is a oil seal on that shaft and on the pump side the seal is to prevent anti freeze leaks from the pump body. The pump side fails first because the cooling system maintains greater than atmospheric presure (16psi) forrce antifeeze past weak seals into the cavity between the pump and the engine. That cavity is where the driping hose is connected. The risk is that because the bottom end of the engine is (due to the PCV system) below atmospheric pressure if you oil seal is weak also but your engine is fresh enough that compression blow by doesn't over come the PCV system then your motor can suck antifreeze into it;s bottom end.
The Antifreeze side seal and gaskets needed to replace it are about $35 at the dealer. You loose about a quarter of antifreeze when you do it so theres another $5. It is a pain in the A to have to do the job but not hard, a mediorcer wrench can handle it in about 2 hrs. Dealer will get about $200 icluding parts. Just exame shaft closely for pitting when you have it out. O7 and early 08there were some problems with bad shafts .
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

If it's out the overflow hose on the overflow tank check the radiator cap.
You should be able to borrow a pressure tool from the parts house. Tell them it's a 1996 Honda Accord.

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....iator-cap.html

Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearitupfixitrepeat View Post
If it's out the overflow hose on the overflow tank check the radiator cap.
You should be able to borrow a pressure tool from the parts house. Tell them it's a 1996 Honda Accord.

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....iator-cap.html
It's posts like this that make this such a great site!

Excellent information.

Thanks, Tearitup....

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #10

Thanks for the feed back I will check these things out this weekend and see whats up

Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #11

My bike would "spot" the floor - front left corner (below horn) when parked overnite... I found that it only happen if I topped the overflow tank off.... if I leave it mid way between H/L it doesn't happen.... go figure