Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Custom seat options...non-stock

First the reason I need custom - I have made radical changes to the placement of my '04 1500's stock seat getting it to a position I am comfortable with. It's elevated a couple inches and moved back about 4" so I can really stretch out. I like the position but it looks a little goofy, even after I made some 1/8" black pvc filler pieces to dress up the gap (pic below).

I've come to believe I don't really need the height, just the setback, but because of the way the seat pan rides up the rear fender you have to go up every time go back. The only way I can see around this is to cut the seat pan or make a whole new one that can tuck tighter into the fender. I don't suppose dishing out the fender is an option? <nah>

Anyway, regardless of whether I leave the seat elevated or try modifying the pan, I would really like it to be more comfortable for longer rides, so some refoaming and recovering is in order. The problem is I have no clue who to talk to about this process, nor do I have $1000 to throw at it. I'm considering doing it myself. Any of you done things remotely like this or can suggest where I might start looking?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by id-man; 10-11-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #2

Look up "GoodDaytoRide.com". This guy is located in Florida. He does seat modifications and is very reasonable on his prices. Maybe he can help.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 10-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

ctrider is currently sending his seat off to Spencer's in Florida for seat modifications. He expects to pay about 148.00 including shipping. It's the same place mentioned above.

http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #4

my dad is an upholsterer. He recovered my CBR seat in about 20 minutes at his shop. He quoted someone on the other forum (just to re-foam and recover) about $65 if I remember correctly. Let me know if you're interested or want me to talk to him. My wife and kids and I are going over there this weekend.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Advanced Member

GreatDaytoRide looks like a great prospect, thanks. I've got a feeling I wouldn't know how to fully instruct him unless I was there with my bike while he was reshaping the foam. Even then I still suspect it will involve radically modifying the shape and mount of the seat pan before we could get on with shaping the foam or covering.

If I am going to do that much modification I no longer need to start with a Nomad seat, I can use any big touring seat as a base, or indeed nothing but a seat pan, which at that point I may as well make from scratch. The way I've got it mounted now is already so far from the original hardware I'd be better off making my own attachment points. I'm thinking of this as more of a DIY project.

Bamabrat if I ever get the shape and foam sorted out I'd be more than happy to use your dad's services. Thanks for the offer. Ever make a seat pan? I've seen Paulie Jr do it on TV, how hard can it be...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I wonder if GreatDayToRide would cover a custom seat pan? I will ask him.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

I would expect something like you're asking for to be very expensive, especially if a custom seat pan has to be fabricated. I think you need more than a seat recovered or the padding modified. Custom work can be costly, and just finding someone to do it may be difficult.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I would expect something like you're asking for to be very expensive ~ just finding someone to do it may be difficult.
That's what I'm thinking too. Luckily I am DIY minded and think this would be a cool project. Between living in a semi-remote area and having limited funds to toss at this, I am already thinking I'll have to make my own seat pan from metal or fiberglass. I've seen tutorials on that before, can look them up again. I just emailed Spencer at GreatDayToRide asking if he'd foam and cover my custom-made pan. Will let you know what he has to say. If he doesn't want to foam my pan I'll do that myself too - there's also web tutorials on that and I have reasonable confidence on my ability to make something not terrible. My least confidence is in the covering, which Bamabrat has already addressed...so I'm feeling good about this no matter what.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. Luckily I am DIY minded and think this would be a cool project. Between living in a semi-remote area and having limited funds to toss at this, I am already thinking I'll have to make my own seat pan from metal or fiberglass. I've seen tutorials on that before, can look them up again. I just emailed Spencer at GreatDayToRide asking if he'd foam and cover my custom-made pan. Will let you know what he has to say. If he doesn't want to foam my pan I'll do that myself too - there's also web tutorials on that and I have reasonable confidence on my ability to make something not terrible. My least confidence is in the covering, which Bamabrat has already addressed...so I'm feeling good about this no matter what.
I think you are right on. While it may take you many hours, it is better than paying someone to make you a total custom fit seat that you can not test fit during the process. I have seen friends open custom parts and become quickly disappointed by that fact that what they wanted and what they got was so different.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Advanced Member

GreatDayToRide emailed me back to say they are not interested in such a custom project. Their business is refoaming stock seats so there's no visual difference, even reusing the original cover. So I guess that's out. I just came across this gem of a website - http://diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php with lotsa of good info about shaping my own seat and what foam to use....sweet. I feel a project coming on.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #11

I had a '08 Honda 750 Aero and the stock seat hurt so bad I didn't hesitate to take it apart and redo the foam in it. I figured it couldn't get any worse no matter how bad it came out.
I just got my Nomad in July and it came with a Mustang Wide Touring seat.
I thought I had it made since everybody had these. Guess my butt is different than most normal butts!
It doesn't hurt my lower back like the Honda seat, it hurts the two bones that you actually sit on ( I forget the name of the bones it shows on your link).
I think I need a wider seat area, kind of like wings out to each side, to hold more butt cheek in, I guess.
I'm just too much of a wimp to start tearing into a $400.00 seat. Eventually I will but I'm looking for something to lay on top that might help first.
Yes, I have no productive info to share here.
Based on the amount of modification you have done to your seat already, I'm hanging around to glean from the all out seat mod you eventually will do.
(since our bikes are the same color what you do should fit mine!)
Christian Motorcyclist Association Chapter #204
Rolling Thunder TN2

2004 Nomad 1500fi
VBA #02455

Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #12

I'm cheap. I bought an Air Hawk II air cushion pad that sits on top of my seat. May not work for long rides, but for the 1.5 hrs to and from work, it works good enought for me.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Advanced Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the Airhawk. I just don't care for the looks is all. SlowShadow, I'm leaning toward the wide 'wings' idea like Russell Day Long uses to spread out and cradle my full butt. She'll be considerably longer than original too, approaching the old Harley buddy seat in appearance...not really but it'll be long!

buddy seat:

Last edited by id-man; 10-14-2013 at 06:38 PM.