Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Holding me back!

I just got a 2005 nomad with 24k. It's stock with a trunk. I changed the plugs and fluids, got a uni air filter and a bully fi controller. I've been riding a 1995 virago 1100 the past few years and this bike is way different! This forum and gadgets page are incredibly helpful but I would appreciate some feedback about two things. There is some vibration just above idle in neutral or any gear. Compression, btw is 160 in both cylinders. How many of you owners experience this or should it be almost vibe free? The second thing is when I shake my handlebars when the bike is parked it feels rubbery, like the forks were made of rubber! There is no wobble at any speed and I don't think the steering is loose. Is this normal or should it be rock solid at rest? I want to love this bike and make a bunch of road trips and ride with some of you but these two issues are holding me back. Your feedback would be so appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

It's a 1600 be happy about the vibrations..LOL Sounds all normal to me.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Advanced Member

That rubbery feeling is probably the rubber pads under your risers. You could check the bolts underneath to make sure they're tight but a little give is probably normal.

Vibrations just off idle are probably too subjective to say whether that's "normal" or not. Any V-twin is going to vibrate somewhat. It's pretty hard to describe to someone in writing how strong the shake is, how long it lasts, what rpm it starts and stops, if it does it on all road surfaces or more prone on smooth vs rough pavement...honestly I'd say if there was a real problem most times it would be dramatic enough you would know for sure without having to guess and wonder. These bikes are just 'clunky' enough by nature that you can chalk up small idiosyncrasies as their natural personalities. Either that or you've got a major problem....just kidding :)

Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

My 1600 has an engine vibration at a little higher than just off idle rpm. I've put eight thousand miles on it since I bought it last year. It's never changed.

2005 1600 nomad

Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

That rubbery feeling is normal, I hate it myself but it doesn't bother anything unless you really start pushing it hard through the corners. Most guys don't even realize that it exists.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
That rubbery feeling is normal, I hate it myself but it doesn't bother anything unless you really start pushing it hard through the corners. Most guys don't even realize that it exists.
Same here. I believe that it has something to do with the flex in the frame. Nothing to worry about. BTW, congrats on the bike. I'll think you'll love it as we all do ours.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsmountainauto View Post
My 1600 has an engine vibration at a little higher than just off idle rpm. I've put eight thousand miles on it since I bought it last year. It's never changed.
Mine too.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies, guys. Most of that rubbery feeling was a low front tire!! I'll admit that I forgot to check the pressure only because it may help a future member. The vibration probably lasts from 1200 to 1600 rpm in all situations. My only concern is that maybe one of two plugs in one cylinder isn't firing. Has anyone experienced that scenario? If so how bad was the vibration? Mine is not bad enough to take to the shop unless it gets worse. Meanwhile it was a great day for a ride here in Florida!!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #9

That sounds like mine, "Jeffsmountainauto"! It makes you feel better when you know your bike isn't the only one. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by jagcamp; 02-10-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Make sure your ignition leads are firmly seated on the plugs.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagcamp View Post
I just got a 2005 nomad with 24k. It's stock with a trunk. I changed the plugs and fluids, got a uni air filter and a bully fi controller. I've been riding a 1995 virago 1100 the past few years and this bike is way different! This forum and gadgets page are incredibly helpful but I would appreciate some feedback about two things. There is some vibration just above idle in neutral or any gear. Compression, btw is 160 in both cylinders. How many of you owners experience this or should it be almost vibe free? The second thing is when I shake my handlebars when the bike is parked it feels rubbery, like the forks were made of rubber! There is no wobble at any speed and I don't think the steering is loose. Is this normal or should it be rock solid at rest? I want to love this bike and make a bunch of road trips and ride with some of you but these two issues are holding me back. Your feedback would be so appreciated.
Has said the rubber under the handlebar raisers maybe the cause of your rubbery feel. I removed mine when I installed new raisers, and run higher air pressure in the front tire (38 or 40) and that has helped me, or I have gotten used to it? On the vibration at just above idle, mine does that too. So I think it is normal. It is not has bad if I keep the throttle body clean, so you may want to check that. Just to be safe I would also check your plugs for color, and see if you have your fuel controller set right, and the plug wires are tight. I do not think you need but may want to check cam chain tensioners, has nothing to do with the vibration at idle but since the bike is new to you and you are doing maintenance anyway would not hurt to check.....then just ride and enjoy.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #12

That is a good tip on the cam chain and I will remove the rubbers when I get risers for sure. Is the throttle body something that be cleaned with a spray or has to be removed and soaked?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Clean the throttle body while it is on the bike, no need to remove it. Take a toothbrush and some carb cleaner and hold the throttles wide open with the twistgrip while using the toothbrush to clean the throttle body intake area.

Disclaimer :

Do not have the engine running while you are doing the above !!!

Last edited by redjay; 02-11-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Clean the throttle body while it is on the bike, no need to remove it. Take a toothbrush and some carb cleaner and hold the throttles wide open with the twistgrip while using the toothbrush to clean the throttle body intake area.

Disclaimer :

Do not have the engine running while you are doing the above !!!
Ooops....I always cleaned mine when running.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagcamp View Post
I will remove the rubbers when I get risers for sure.
For new risers it probably wouldn't hurt to mention that when I installed generic ones (off eBay) on my 1500FI I had to drill out the holes in my triple tree slightly larger to fit the larger diameter mounting bolts. I didn't blink an eyelash while doing this but just be aware you won't be able to reinstall OEM risers afterward without some kind of bushing. On the other hand you'll be able to use any aftermarket offering that uses the "harley" sized bolts. Don't ask me what that bolt size is, I didn't document it, all I remember is it took the largest drill in my little set (1/2" maybe). Also note that risers don't always come with bolts so you may be tracking some down as your stock ones will be either too short or too skinny.

ps, if you do have to drill your top tree don't sweat it - it's aluminum and drills very easily, can be accomplished with a cordless.

Tags
forks, vibration