Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Back firing issue solved

I know some of you members have had some backfiring issues including me, when switching out exhausts and adding a tuner. After a month of experimenting and researching, this is the formula I finally came up with. First I must report that I tried sealing off the nipple that is on the pair valve, on the rear left side of the front cylinder or that clean air hose that goes into the left side air box and kept the crank case breather attached to the stock right side air box in place where it goes. That didn't work...back firing the same as before. I finally got my ROARING TOYZ chrome round air intake system. The instructions have you installing a little breather filter on that nipple going to the pair valve...but it wouldn't stay on tight enough and bumped into the throttle cable. I put a metal coupler inside the filter and the end of the hose that was originally connected to said nipple and dropped the filter right between the jugs on the inside of the cylinders, and attached the hose and little breather filter dangling off it to the throttle cable making it strong and stable. Then get this....the instructions had me plug off the crank case breather hose with an aluminum plug that came with the air kit....weird, my meanstreak 1500 has the crankcase breather hose connected to the inside of the Baron's intake on that bike. I did what the instructions said, plugged that bugger off, made sure my Cobra FI2000R auto tuner was working properly and took the Vaquero out for a test run and Gwa-lah.....no more backfires! It decels real clean now and throttles up nice with a gnarly "hiss" from the new breather. I have to wonder if any of you other members have tried this air kit or maybe installed the Kuryakyn system. I now knows this Roaring Toyz kit works like advertised, and was worth the few extra bucks and the chroming and finish is second to none. I hope this helps you guys looking to expel the popping issues. I have the Vance&Hines 2-1 pro header for exhaust. after I have some more break-in miles on the beast I am going to the dyno for a HP and torque run. According to Roaring Toyz, I supposedly picked up another 7-8 peak HP with my set up but not sure of torque figures. Later I will report the results of the dyno run.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

So do you have any crank case breather or is the crank case now sealed?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
I know some of you members have had some backfiring issues including me, when switching out exhausts and adding a tuner. After a month of experimenting and researching, this is the formula I finally came up with. First I must report that I tried sealing off the nipple that is on the pair valve, on the rear left side of the front cylinder or that clean air hose that goes into the left side air box and kept the crank case breather attached to the stock right side air box in place where it goes. That didn't work...back firing the same as before. I finally got my ROARING TOYZ chrome round air intake system. The instructions have you installing a little breather filter on that nipple going to the pair valve...but it wouldn't stay on tight enough and bumped into the throttle cable. I put a metal coupler inside the filter and the end of the hose that was originally connected to said nipple and dropped the filter right between the jugs on the inside of the cylinders, and attached the hose and little breather filter dangling off it to the throttle cable making it strong and stable. Then get this....the instructions had me plug off the crank case breather hose with an aluminum plug that came with the air kit....weird, my meanstreak 1500 has the crankcase breather hose connected to the inside of the Baron's intake on that bike. I did what the instructions said, plugged that bugger off, made sure my Cobra FI2000R auto tuner was working properly and took the Vaquero out for a test run and Gwa-lah.....no more backfires! It decels real clean now and throttles up nice with a gnarly "hiss" from the new breather. I have to wonder if any of you other members have tried this air kit or maybe installed the Kuryakyn system. I now knows this Roaring Toyz kit works like advertised, and was worth the few extra bucks and the chroming and finish is second to none. I hope this helps you guys looking to expel the popping issues. I have the Vance&Hines 2-1 pro header for exhaust. after I have some more break-in miles on the beast I am going to the dyno for a HP and torque run. According to Roaring Toyz, I supposedly picked up another 7-8 peak HP with my set up but not sure of torque figures. Later I will report the results of the dyno run.
Any chance you could download the instructions from the air kit, so we could get a visual of the process?? or take pictures. Thanks

Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Sealing the crankcase breather is a good way to blow out your oil seals and get leaks everywhere.
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm lost as to what hose you plugged that made the backfiring go away.
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

The hose that comes from the back of the left side of the front cylinder is the crankcase breather hose and should NEVER be plugged up, that is the hose you should have the miniature filter in. It seems by your post that is the hose you plugged up, NOT GOOD!!!.

The hose that needs to be plugged is the hose that originally connected to the RIGHT AIRBOX at about the 11:00 position.

Before you ride verify this, I hope in ur post u just got your hoses mixed up in explanation.

RACNRAY

Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Guys I know we should never plug a crank vent hose, I have never seen that ever before. But Roaring Toyz posted those exact instructions, even showing photographed frame pics of the little filter on that nipple where the left side clean air hose used to connect. It has made me very suspicious so I am going to phone them down in Sarasota Fla. where they are located and inquire about this issue. Like I said, seems very weird. I might be able to photograph the instructions pics and post them on the forum for you guys to see. I don't feel comfortable with the crank hose plugged, I thought when the kit came it would tell me to connect the hose from the inside to flow in the breather back into the engine. The only hole in the breather plate was for the temp sensor. I may go after another one of those little filters tomorrow and put it on the crankvent hose. I will let you guys know what I find out from Roaring Toyz on Monday. Vaquero convert...somehow plugging the crank case vent hose made the backfiring disappear and that plug......fit perfectly in the crank vent hose too as it was made for it. Blows me away.