Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Power Commander results

My new PCV arrived today so I got busy and got it installed. Really straight forward so I'm not going into that but the results are really nice! My bike is completely stock but after having a VTX1800 stock that liked the PCIII this bike had to like it as well, it does! The PCV comes with a "stock bike" map on it but I don't have a clue what map that is? I downloaded and installed the "005 Vaquero stock pipes stock air cleaner" map and installed it. Went for a short ride and you can feel the improvement in the seat of your pants. Bike pulls harder and accelerates smoother and with more grunt. So far I love it and the bike does too! My Cobra pipes should be here soon so I'll see what they are like.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Top Contributor

After you get the pipes installed take the bike for a short ride with the stock cover off and the intake exposed. You will notice a big difference.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
After you get the pipes installed take the bike for a short ride with the stock cover off and the intake exposed. You will notice a big difference.
Listen to Redjay. He told me this about 20 times until I bit the bullet and put on a Big Air Kit. The driveability and throttle response is amazing. I would never go back to the stock air box. It does make a diffrent sound under load but nothing my radio and exhaust dont cover up. My mpg went up significantly when I stay out of the throttle.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

Good stuff :)
Afterburner 4500LM LED headlamp
Ivan's Performance
12 VDC plug-in
BAK Thunder mfg.
Cobra Tri-Flo
2011 Ducati Monster 796
2006 GSXR 600 (track bike)

Old 06-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

How do you deal with the rain and those "open" air filters (BAK's) that is the reason I avoid them. Don't get me wrong I don't ride in the rain but have been caught many times. The VTX1800 I owned had a "modified" air box with the back cut out so it looked stock but was really open and I got caught in a down pour and it caused the bike to stall out and not run because of a flooded filter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Top Contributor

I had a Chucksters BAK on my Voyager. It uses the stock cover. No issues with water getting to the intake.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had a Chucksters BAK on my Voyager. It uses the stock cover. No issues with water getting to the intake.
What Redjay said. Got caught in the rain the other day, and I am talking about a South Florida deluge. No issues with the BAK. Just sucked when I had to clean the bike the next day.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 06-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

I have the Thunder stock air kit on my 12 Voyager, been in a couple good rain, and never had a problem.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

The ONLY time rain will have a negative affect is if a skoot has an open filter style BAK (i.e. with an exposed filter element) is if the skoot is sitting parked IN THE RAIN NOT RUNNING. It's certainly possible for water to get past the filter into the intake in that scenario.

BUT, on most modern sportbikes since the ZX11 in 1990 they are equipped with forward facing RAM AIR systems that will take in rain water along with the intake air. I have been in rain storms on my ZX11, TL1000, ZX9, Hayabusa, two ZX14's, ALL ram air skoots. Sometimes in rain so bad I thought it was appropriate to be wearing swim fins and diving goggles rather than leather boots and a helmet. All I ever felt was a very slight miss that in no way kept the engine from runnin.

I have an exposed intake on my Vaq and knowing what I know bout makin power that open filter aspect was critical in my design but there was absolutely no concern on my part bout ridin in the rain. And of course I have, and there NEVER has been an issue. As ong as the engine is runnin you wont have a problem.

RACNRAY

Old 06-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Ray LMAO great description....I know how those Florida "deluges" can be, I lived in St. Petersburg years ago and got caught up in a few of them....sometimes so bad everyone has to come to a complete stop! It really sucks! I have noticed as long as an open air exposed has the proper amount of filter oil in the pleats the oil will help keep the moisture out, as long as you are moving and the air flow over the filter with that in combo helps too. I got caught in a bad rain storm on my Suzuki M109 once with dual round filters for about 20 miles and the motor never let down or stalled, got right through the ordeal.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:

+1!!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #12

Well I got around to installing the Cobra slip-ons and went for a lengthy ride this past Saturday. Took a couple of hours to remove the bags and the stock exhaust, changed the map in the PCV and rode the rest of the day. Sunday I spent a few hours taking them back off, hated the noise! The loud bike thing is not for me. I like the PCV and it's working really well so that is going to stay on the bike.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
Well I got around to installing the Cobra slip-ons and went for a lengthy ride this past Saturday. Took a couple of hours to remove the bags and the stock exhaust, changed the map in the PCV and rode the rest of the day. Sunday I spent a few hours taking them back off, hated the noise! The loud bike thing is not for me. I like the PCV and it's working really well so that is going to stay on the bike.
Man if you think those are loud you must have sensitive hearing. The Samson exhaust on my 1500 classic was way louder than my Vaq with V&H slipons. They are tame. A little louder when romped on but at cruise I barely hear them and can hear my radio up to about 80mph with stock system, no added amp. The wind noise drowns out the tunes not the pipes. I wear a half helmet. I can hear how loud my old bike was because I ride with the guy I sold the bike to.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 06-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Man if you think those are loud you must have sensitive hearing. The Samson exhaust on my 1500 classic was way louder than my Vaq with V&H slipons. They are tame. A little louder when romped on but at cruise I barely hear them and can hear my radio up to about 80mph with stock system, no added amp. The wind noise drowns out the tunes not the pipes. I wear a half helmet. I can hear how loud my old bike was because I ride with the guy I sold the bike to.
I think I was looking for a more mellow deep tone not that raspy exhaust noise. Don't get me wrong they sound good but not to me. I guess I want a different sound not a louder one.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
I think I was looking for a more mellow deep tone not that raspy exhaust noise. Don't get me wrong they sound good but not to me. I guess I want a different sound not a louder one.
Stay away fromt the Fredom Performance, then. They have an amazing tone, very deep and rumbley, but there is a whoooole lot of it.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU