Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Advanced Member

1700 Voyager Headlight dead. SOLVED

Ok, I have not done much troubleshooting, it got cold again up here plus I had a big honey do list this weekend. Just asking to see if anyone else has had this issue so I can look there first.

Bulb is good, even had a spare new one I tried. Yes, I have the bike running when I check it. High beam or low is no difference it is completely dead. When this issue first started it would come on after a while, a few minutes...a couple of miles. But now it seems permanently dead.

So, there must be a relay somewhere that triggers when the engine is started. Any clues where that is at? And I suppose the high/low beam switch could be the culprit.

Any ideas on where to start.

It's still under warranty, but would rather just fix it than mess around at the dealer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by tonik; 03-21-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Two things I would try, spray the hi-lo beam switch with contact cleaner to make sure there is a good connection, and remove the 5-wire plug from the relay box and spray those connections and reassemble.
If that doesn't fix it then I'd be getting the dealer to replace the relay box.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Haven't had this problem but from looking at the manual. I would start with the following.
Question to ask is what is common to HI/lo lights?
1.first is power source which appears to come from a fuse (10A) that only supplies power to the headlight. I would replace it and be sure it is fully inserted into the holder. Fuses can look good but the element is broken and vibration causes it to open/close.
2. Ground wire. Measure continuity from the headlight plug ground connection (BK/Y) to battery ground

There is no easy way to bypass the relay since it is encased in the relay modual next to the ECU.

You might want to use an ice pick light to see if you have voltage in/out of the relay, center connector. GY ?(hard to read on schematic) wire is battery feed (from the fuse you replaced) - should be hot when key is on. Then the BL/Y when bike is running will be hot. From here power goes to the HI/lo switch then to the headlight.

Since it is still under warranty be careful what you do that they don't void your warranty because of something you cut/broke. using the ice pick might give them an out if they are a pain in the ass dealer.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Perfect, I can check the basics you describe and save myself a drive to the dealer. I will be careful, if it isn't something simple I will step away from the bike and let them handle it.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

I have had my '12 Voyager in a few times with a headlight issue. When bike is started it is not uncommon for headlight to fail to come on..........shut off bike and many times it will then come on.......or go ahead and ride with running lights only and when I get to destination the headlight will be on. Never goes off once it comes on. Have had switch replaced under warranty......but to date the problem still exists.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudd View Post
I have had my '12 Voyager in a few times with a headlight issue. When bike is started it is not uncommon for headlight to fail to come on..........shut off bike and many times it will then come on.......or go ahead and ride with running lights only and when I get to destination the headlight will be on. Never goes off once it comes on. Have had switch replaced under warranty......but to date the problem still exists.
That is EXACTLY what is happening to me.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

My dealer has called Kawasaki......this was little help. The dealer replaced the switch as a guess. The problem is intermittent......and when I am there guess what......the light works as it should.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
My dealer has called Kawasaki......this was little help. The dealer replaced the switch as a guess. The problem is intermittent......and when I am there guess what......the light works as it should.
Dirty intermittent contact somewhere. I am going to look hard at the high/low beam switch first. I had to clean my turn signal switch already.......

Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

I guess I'll be keeping an eye on my headlight now!

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quoting you in case what I found might help.

Got some CRC QD electrical cleaner and cleaned the heck out of the high/low switch. No luck, which makes sense as you got a new one. Then I remembered when I changed the anti freeze I started to unhook the rectifier as I dropped that cross bar, then realized I didn't need to. Anyway, there are two connectors on the rectifier, the bottom one is the larger of the two and was the one I had off. I remembered looking and saying damn that is dirty I need to clean it. So I popped it off and sprayed the heck out of and let it dry.

Instantly fixed the problem. Mine was out all the time when I started it, now it is on all the time when I start it. So the feed to the relay to trigger the headlight must come from the rectifier.

Last edited by tonik; 03-21-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #11

Tonik, glad to hear you got it figured out and thanks for shedding some light (headlight) on this issue.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #12

Ever have the light not shut off?

I always go to the accessory position when fueling so as to not loose my gps screen. I guy flagged me down at the gas station the other day, to tell me my lights were on. Sure enough-but hasn't happened since.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #13

Will try that this evening........thanks for the tip tonik!

Old 03-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
I always go to the accessory position when fueling so as to not loose my gps screen. I guy flagged me down at the gas station the other day, to tell me my lights were on. Sure enough-but hasn't happened since.
My light has always shut off when key is turned to accessory but the driving lights will stay on. I will turn them off if it is going to be a longer time than normal.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #15

This was the problem on my 2011 Voyager, thank you for posting this!

Thanks for this suggestion! After hours checking out all the other suggestions I decided to pull these connectors and reattach them. Problem solved! I noticed a piece of the upper connector plastic had broken away allowing the upper plug to wiggle itself out of position.
Will attempt stabilizing this situation with either glue or silicone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Quoting you in case what I found might help.

Got some CRC QD electrical cleaner and cleaned the heck out of the high/low switch. No luck, which makes sense as you got a new one. Then I remembered when I changed the anti freeze I started to unhook the rectifier as I dropped that cross bar, then realized I didn't need to. Anyway, there are two connectors on the rectifier, the bottom one is the larger of the two and was the one I had off. I remembered looking and saying damn that is dirty I need to clean it. So I popped it off and sprayed the heck out of and let it dry.

Instantly fixed the problem. Mine was out all the time when I started it, now it is on all the time when I start it. So the feed to the relay to trigger the headlight must come from the rectifier.