Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-15-2016, 01:24 AM   #1

GoPro

any ideas where to mount a GoPro on the Vaquero. Pic's maybe

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

Mine uses the suction cup to the center of the fairing just below the windshield. There is a lanyard running from the GoPro base to black plastic cable tie on a windshield mounting screw with a D-Ring for security. The suction cup has never let go, but just in case... A trip around Lake Michigan, the Dragon, a trip around the Ozarks and several local rides, no issues. It works for me. The photos are almost drivers perspective.

Ride safe.
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #3

I have mine mounted on the left crash bar with a RAM mount. I originally had it mounted on the left side of the handlebars but sometimes the picture would bounce when hitting bumps in the road. On the crash bar she's steady as a rock.

Last edited by Ponitail; 05-14-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponitail View Post
I have mine mounted on the left crash bar with a RAM mount. I originally had it mounted on the left side of the handlebars but sometimes the picture would bounce when hitting bumps in the road. On the crash bar she's steady as a rock.
I mount a Garmin camera on the crash bar as well using short Ram mounts. I think GoPro has better video quality, but I went with an older (and discounted) Garmin. You get a very solid mount, it's easy to access the camera and you don't have to worry about shooting video thru the shield. NOTE: This doesn't work on a Classic as the crash bar isn't bolted as solid as on the Voyager and Vaquero.

Power is run from the lighter thru the top of the lower fairing and to the back of the camera. There's very little vibration while riding but you do see some "waves". I also use a Garmin GPS I can start and stop the recording and take photos from the GPS unit.

Sample video (this one is 720 quality):

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Last edited by Kap; 11-21-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

I attached my DRIFT cam to a large 'binder clip'. I have then clipped it to the side of my helmet, to my floor boards, to my windshield, to my crash bar. But I found that the side of my helmet is the most useful.

2006 Vulcan Nomad
2003 Road Star Silverado *SOLD*

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
Advanced Member

What are you wanting to capture in your videos? I have mounted to the windshield, handlebars, engine guards, and top of helmet. Low on the bike captures the lean angle better when in the curves. Helmet captures where you look. Found the windshield vibrates too much.

I use the stick on GoPro mounts on everything but the engine guard. Clamp for it.

Kite string or plastic paint scraper takes them off and a little polishing wax removes any traces.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 11-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

I have a GP mounted to the front of my helmet. It's a shorty and the visor was screwed to it not the snaps. I bolted one of the GP mounts in to the center hole. Has a perfect driver view as the camera is only about 4 inches above my eye. Shot with GP3

VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Last edited by Zeineth; 11-18-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Thanks. I think I'm gonna try the engine guard at 1st. Im also ordering the SENA 10C only to try and make myself start wearing a helmet. I figure if I make the helmet more entertaining I can make myself wear one

Old 11-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

I started using a gopro this past summer. A couple of things I noticed was: mounted to the handle bars it was handy to turn it on and off as well as adjust the position slightly ( have the hero 4 with video screen ). It soon became boring basically from the same point of view all the time hence turning it off or on to get little burst of different road / scenery. It was a cool position in the pouring rain with other bikes ahead. I then added a helmet mount to one side of my helmet and while I had no idea what it was filming, except initial set up with my wife as passenger she could see the screen and adjust for me, it was more interesting as the camera captured where ever I looked on the ride. From this I realized that mixing up the camera mount position at stops along the ride gave more interesting raw footage to edit and just one mounting position is not enough. I intend to add a crash bar mount as well as a rear facing mount especially nice on group rides.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136