Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Advanced Member

My clutch slave cylinder saga.

So, I have seen this mentioned a couple of times but never really paid much attention. On my recent trip out west with the wife on day three my clutch slave cylinder started sticking. Causing the clutch to slip. It was also making a pretty bad squeaking noise as it was depressed. This was after a ton of rain on day two. After warming it up it was fine. That night I flushed the heck out of the fluid (which is always changed religiously) with no improvement. So I continued on the trip warming the bike up well each morning. A couple of days later it was fine again without warm up.

So I tore it down, and was horrified to see how bad it was with only 55K on it. I think I am going to pester Ma Kaw on this one with my GPP. My best guess is they are using an aluminum housing on the slave, with a different metal for the piston. Add in some water and you get the usual electrolysis with aluminum.

I tore it down, cleaned it up with some fine grit sand paper and it seems much better now. I think this needs to be on all of our to do lists every year or so. It was an easy job, no parts needed except new brake fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170530_181527.jpg (97.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170530_181534.jpg (92.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170530_183320.jpg (90.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170530_184235.jpg (84.5 KB, 38 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

Which vulcan?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks222 View Post
Which vulcan?

Yea, that would have been useful info to include in the post. '13 Voyager. Although I am fairly sure the set up is the same on the Vaq's and 1700 Nomads.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

Yup, 12 Nomad, looked like the pic. I noticed some clutch slip late winter, notice half gone lever engagement. 27k miles, Thot maybe half life on ckutch. This sounds more like the problem. Thx.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Is that the first time you have had the clutch (or brake fluid, for that matter) changed? 4 year/55K miles is too long, IMHO. Should be changed every 2 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.

Glad it was an easy fix. It could have been worse if there had been more moisture and degradation of the fluid.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I've had the same issue, slave cylinder was replaced under warranty the first time which clued me into checking it regularly. I replace and flush the fluid at least 4 times a year and and once a year I disassemble the cylinder, clean everything and replace the seal. Cheap insurance and no failures since.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Is that the first time you have had the clutch (or brake fluid, for that matter) changed? 4 year/55K miles is too long, IMHO. Should be changed every 2 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.
Every year I change it and the brake fluid. I do about 15k a year...so two years is too long, one is probably a little bit too soon but it's easier for me to just have this list of things I do each spring. Same with the fork oil and other odds and ends. Every year.

The mess you see is totally on the out side, it's not from moisture inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I've had the same issue, slave cylinder was replaced under warranty the first time which clued me into checking it regularly. I replace and flush the fluid at least 4 times a year and and once a year I disassemble the cylinder, clean everything and replace the seal. Cheap insurance and no failures since.
Glad to hear you got them to eat it under warranty. Makes me more hopeful they will do the same for me. They don't sell the housing alone, it's a complete unit. 125 bucks.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

I had the "sticking clutch" attack me when leaving work from Louisville one afternoon. At the time, I was living in an RV and home (as well as my garage and tools) was nearly four hours away, I was in a near panic. I limped to the RV, and this forum saved my bacon! Commonly caused by a steady but slow buildup of dust-n-crud, opening the wet side was not even required. A real good cleaning with a stiff brush and WD-40 cleaned everything out and it has worked with no issues for an extra two years. And yes, the fluid has been changed, but if you don't know to clean that cup, the problem can still bite you.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Every year I change it and the brake fluid. I do about 15k a year...so two years is too long, one is probably a little bit too soon but it's easier for me to just have this list of things I do each spring. Same with the fork oil and other odds and ends. Every year.

The mess you see is totally on the out side, it's not from moisture inside.

Glad to hear you got them to eat it under warranty. Makes me more hopeful they will do the same for me. They don't sell the housing alone, it's a complete unit. 125 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
I had the "sticking clutch" attack me when leaving work from Louisville one afternoon. At the time, I was living in an RV and home (as well as my garage and tools) was nearly four hours away, I was in a near panic. I limped to the RV, and this forum saved my bacon! Commonly caused by a steady but slow buildup of dust-n-crud, opening the wet side was not even required. A real good cleaning with a stiff brush and WD-40 cleaned everything out and it has worked with no issues for an extra two years. And yes, the fluid has been changed, but if you don't know to clean that cup, the problem can still bite you.
Good to know. I'll add that to my list of maintenance items. If hitting it with WD-40 can extend it to 2 years between cleanings, that would be optimal. I'll be changing the clutch and brake fluids as soon as new seals and rings for my brake calipers get here.