Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

How to tell whether a Voyager ignition wire recall performed?

I see where all '09-'15 Voyager and Vaqueros were subject to this recall, and will add this having been done to my "must have" list.

When I shop for used Voyagers is there a way to tell if one was taken in for the recall if I know the VIN or something?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
I see where all '09-'15 Voyager and Vaqueros were subject to this recall, and will add this having been done to my "must have" list.

When I shop for used Voyagers is there a way to tell if one was taken in for the recall if I know the VIN or something?
Not seeing how the recall is make or break for a purchase, you can have it done if it wasn’t done after you buy a bike. A recall is free. Get the vin to see if it was done. Go to Kawi’s website and punch the vin in and it will tell you if it was done or not.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 04-02-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
Not seeing how the recall is make or break for a purchase, you can have it done if it wasn’t done after you buy a bike. A recall is free. Get the vin to see if it was done. Go to Kawi’s website and pinch the vin in and it will tell you if it was done or not.
Thanks - figured it worked something like that. The reasons it's a must have for me is first, because when I get one I'll be riding it home. Could be a 30 mile trip or a 300+ one, but either way I don't want to worry about it suddenly dying due to a broken ignition wire. Also, if the previous owner didn't bother to get it done it suggests he/she was likely negligent in the care and maintenance of the bike overall. If I get one from a dealer I'll ask them to fix it if they haven't already.

Last edited by Toku57; 04-02-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Top Contributor

An original owner could have sold the bike and then received a recall notice at a later date and does not know the address of the new owner to inform him of the recall.

Nothing to do with being negligent with the care and maintenance of the bike.
The bike was sold in good faith and the recall came later.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
An original owner could have sold the bike and then received a recall notice at a later date and does not know the address of the new owner to inform him of the recall.

Agree that's possible in some cases, but if the new owner takes the trouble to be decently informed about his or her purchase, he/she should also be aware of the recall. That's why I'll ask questions of private sellers to see how much they know about their bikes, even if they aren't the original owner. In my experience, those who take the time to become knowledgeable about their bikes, e.g. join forums like this, also tend to take better care of them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Toku57; 04-02-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:

Exactly!

Also, having worked at dealerships before, sometimes recall info gets sent to people, but they never updated their mailing address and they never receive it, so they have no clue at all there was even a recall to begin with.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Exactly!

Also, having worked at dealerships before, sometimes recall info gets sent to people, but they never updated their mailing address and they never receive it, so they have no clue at all there was even a recall to begin with.
With all the resources out there like this forum, that still doesn't excuse whoever owns the bike of being ignorant of recalls.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #8

I never had any recall notice forwarded to me, and as the third owner with no idea who the first was - I didn't expect one anyway. Nor did I bother taking it into a dealer to do what I'd rather do myself... I know what the problem is, so I fixed it my own way.

It's easy enough to remove the chrome trim, check whether the wiring is anywhere near contact with anything (it wasn't), tape it all up, and for peace-of-mind I took an extra step and wound a piece of that plastic spiral coil cable tidy around it as well.

Not all motorcyclists are internet savvy. It would be easy to have missed the fact there was a recall at all.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
With all the resources out there like this forum, that still doesn't excuse whoever owns the bike of being ignorant of recalls.
So all you have to do is talk to the owner or the dealer and he will give you all the recall details.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
. . . Not all motorcyclists are internet savvy. It would be easy to have missed the fact there was a recall at all.
Even those who aren't internet savvy can call a dealer to find out about recalls. Before the internet that's how I learned about any issues with bikes I was interested in.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
So all you have to do is talk to the owner or the dealer and he will give you all the recall details.
Right - and if they say "What recall?" I move on.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Your choice.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #13

I think you are putting entirely too much weight in this recall business. Look at the bike, you can see if it has been cared for, go so far as to ask ask for proof of maintenance, if they took it to a dealer then they likely had the recall done already because the dealer told them there was one, but the way you are looking at this recall stuff just makes no sense. Not everyone knows about recalls or thinks to even look for them themselves, that does NOT equate to negligence in any other regard. Do you look for recalls for every single thing you purchase or own? I guarantee there have been quite a few on items you have owned that you had no clue had recalls and that by no means makes you a negligent owner.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
I think you are putting entirely too much weight in this recall business. Look at the bike, you can see if it has been cared for, go so far as to ask ask for proof of maintenance, if they took it to a dealer then they likely had the recall done already because the dealer told them there was one, but the way you are looking at this recall stuff just makes no sense. Not everyone knows about recalls or thinks to even look for them themselves, that does NOT equate to negligence in any other regard. Do you look for recalls for every single thing you purchase or own? I guarantee there have been quite a few on items you have owned that you had no clue had recalls and that by no means makes you a negligent owner.
Owner negligence isn't what I'm concerned about. All I want is to buy a bike I can ride back home that has proof of regular maintenance including that this recall was done because it's a safety issue. Not doing so is what wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by Toku57; 04-03-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #15

Think for your peace of mind you should buy a brand new 2018 Voyageur or Vaquero and that way you will be completely happy as regular maintenance will be yours from day one.Seems to me you won't be happy purchasing a used bike. Just my two cents.