Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #1

Riding Confidence

Hey People. Not sure if this should be posted here or not. I had a near miss this past weekend that could have cost me my life. It would have been totally my own fault on a highway ‘S’ bend. I don’t feel that I’m a poor rider yet definitely not in the upper echelon. Got back to riding after a bad accident 33 years earlier. This is my 4th season since. Have done over 20,000 clicks since returning yet still have nerves at some bends. How can I get over this as I love riding. I have an aversion to hairpin turns too yet never thought twice about them in my 20’s.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

My wife goes through this also, and she has come a long way with it. I dont know a great way to explain how to get over this. But one thing that you need to do is look where you want to go, your body tends to go where your eyes are looking. Is your bike set up for you? Just moving the bars up a bit can help. Good luck and congratulate yourself when you pull off a tight turn and remind yourself you can do it on the next one....

Old 09-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Top Contributor

I think you will get more nervous in general as you age, I did.
I think we subconsciously think of the consequences of coming off more than we did when we were younger.

I think what bothers me the most nowadays is when I see cars coming up to an intersection at speed.

I am constantly wondering if they are going to stop, have they seen me, are they going to try and across in front of me.

Corners don't bother me as much. I know my limits and the limits of the bike and ride accordingly. I definitely I don't take corners like I used to in my younger days and that's fine with me.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #4

Sounds as though your bad experience and aversion to tight curves is costing you
A) concern and lost sleep, or
B) lots of enjoyment of the sport of motorcycling

You are more likely to be killed by a left-turning opposing motorist or at an intersection than on a well navigated curve.

Go way back to the basics of riding thru a curve. Rather than being afraid of them, consider each curve a challenge.

Refresh the technique of pushing the handlebars to steer the bike thru a curve. Don't turn the bars to navigate the curve.

Look THRU the curve, do not take your eyes off of "where you want the bike to go". If you can't see the other end of the curve then turn your head to where you imagine it is based on your knowledge of the road and signs indicating the curve. Don't just scan the curve with your eyes, move your head to line up the destination and create a view of the bike going thru the curve as if you were playing a third party video game on a screen and looking over your own shoulder. DO NOT LOOK DOWN at your lane. If you can see the front tire you have blown the curve. Attempt to refresh your 12 second scan ahead of the road every second.

Figure 8s on a large vacant parking lot may help. Narrow the radius of your curves as you gain confidence in the exercise. You can use cones or water bottles painted orange to define your track. You must keep engine RPMs UP, and use downshifts and brakes properly. Start with a 25ft radius and work your way down to half that. Speed is not important. Fast enough for the maneuvering, with little to no turn of the bars, is enough.

Remember, the bike will not fall over until it is either traveling very very slowly, or you TURN the bars. Try the techniques on a neighbor's bicycle. Really.

Then learn/refresh the correct angle and lane positioning for your travel BEFORE, during APEX, and out of the curve. Better and Expert riders use the entire travel lane in a curve, even in a Group.

Looking at the opposing traffic on a curve will get you into trouble nearly every time.

Have a skilled Rider follow you and suggest lane positioning, usage, and control from the curve(s). I have seen Riders tense up so badly on a curve that they simply cannot move their head to look through the curve. They sit upright and don't push the handlebars. They fail in Advanced and Group skills every time. Back to the basics taught in the parking lot of maneuvering the figure eight.

For winter skills building buy the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. I have seen used copies of his first edition for sale on AMZN for as little as $5USD. I first read this book in the early '90s. It is a very good read.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions guys. What happened this past weekend was I was in the bottom of an S bend which turned right. I hit one tar snake that jostled the bike making me tense up a bit. I then hit a wide patch of them which slid the bike up towards the center line. Nerves took over causing me to look at the lead vehicle of a line of cars coming the opposite way. I made the other noob error of turning the bars to the right, yet ever so gently thankfully as of course that would have put me in the path of oncoming traffic. I think also my uneasiness at times when in sharper bends contributed to everything.
I was hoping for a mind over matter solution yet there most likely is none. As redjay stated, I'm sure some nervousness comes with age. I did handle the corners ok after my incident coming home as I still had about 100kms to go.
Bike hopefully is setup ok Black Max as I installed risers and a backrest to keep me from slouching too much. I do find that the front tire (Bridgestone) doesn't like the tar snakes.
Thanks again. Just trying to make it 3 more years to retirement. lol

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Very good info dhuttonkc. I keep saying I will go to a lot for practice yet always end up on a ride. Me thinks the time is here for that practice. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Top Contributor

"I do find that the front tire (Bridgestone) doesn't like the tar snakes".

I don't think there are any tires that like tar snakes.

A Commander II or Metzeler 888 does not like them either.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
"I do find that the front tire (Bridgestone) doesn't like the tar snakes".

I don't think there are any tires that like tar snakes.

A Commander II or Metzeler 888 does not like them either.
When I got my Voyager, Bridgestones were on it. When they wore out, I replaced them with MC IIs. Lots (lots and lots!) of tar snakes in Georgia and they get really slippery in the summer heat. The Bridgestones didn't like them, but they did handle them quite a bit better than the MC IIs.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #9

Replace fear with confidence. Tar snakes are no joke, same for surprise sand and gravel. Practice doesn't hurt...maybe take advanced rider course...not a wimps way out, but continuing education. I have two Proficient Cycling books, somewhere it says any ride can have a life or death moment...shake it off, get on with your ride, and don't let it ruin your day. Worked for me the day a car wiped me off the road. My friend thought I was going to die. I shook it off and got on with our ride. Hang in there. Enjoy riding. Happy Trails
Harley Bagger Muffs
Christian Motorcycle Rider

Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info and words of support everyone. I will definitely do some practice in my work place parking lot and also look up the books mentioned. 90% of a ride I am in heaven. It is the other 10% I need to control better. Thanks again.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 09-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #11

My MC progression was - 90cc, 350cc, 550cc and 900Z1 (two '75's) and stopped riding in '86' with the arrival of 1st born. I now have '03' Nomad that I really enjoy the 'mess' out of it when I'm not reminding my self that she is a beast and deserves attention and respect.
I also have a 500 Vulcan that reminds me of the joy of performance and ease of handling. A lot of fun.
Now in my 60's I tend to remind myself that this is not my beloved Z1's and keep in mind that low speed maneuvers are at times really intense. Add my Aspen trailer and things get stranger. Practice makes perfect but only perfect practice MAKES perfect.

Looking back to the 70's and 80's I'm not sure I ever thought about how and/or where I was riding. I tried to ride every day, I don't think I ever thought about any 'dangers' like day - night, rain, fog even a few times in light snow.

I know.......snow?..... proof age makes you wiser. Now I am on alert for weather, animals (big and small), road hazards of ALL types and of course the cagers.

'03' 1500 Nomad
'95' 500 Vulcan
'95' 250 Virgo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3271.jpg (99.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Advanced Member

but guys, all this nervousness/lack of confidence/and 10% fear as you age is normal. I mean, when younger some of us had no fear, and look at the risks and dangers that you went thru having no fear or nerves, but now you are not so young now, and the lack of confidence or some fear is creeping in, but wait, this is good right? I mean, do you want to return to those days of having no fear of crashing, or death? I think, and this is my opinion, that the fear and nerves is a way to protect us from danger and death, which to me is not only a good thing, but is a natural response of the body as a person ages and recognizes danger. To me, it's natural to want to stay alive. So welcome that 10% fear, it's saving your life.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
Hey People. Not sure if this should be posted here or not. I had a near miss this past weekend that could have cost me my life. It would have been totally my own fault on a highway ‘S’ bend. I don’t feel that I’m a poor rider yet definitely not in the upper echelon. Got back to riding after a bad accident 33 years earlier. This is my 4th season since. Have done over 20,000 clicks since returning yet still have nerves at some bends. How can I get over this as I love riding. I have an aversion to hairpin turns too yet never thought twice about them in my 20’s.
What everyone has said is well worth listening to. A simple sounding solution is to ride more. What that amounts to is building muscle memory that can take over when your mind fails you, and reactions that are faster then you could ever provide by thinking about it. So ride more, and practice, practice, practice counter steering. And one more thing, which I have definitely done since my experience 7 years ago with my lapse of attention in an s curve with an oncoming truck, slow down. Now go out there and ride safe and enjoy it!
2011 Rally in the Redwoods, CA
2013 National, Estes Park, CO
2013 SE Regional, Blairsville, GA
2014 NW Regional, Orifino, ID
2014 NC/SC Regional in the Ozarks, AR
2016 NC Regional, Hillsboro, WI
2016 E. Canada/NE Regional, Quebec
2017 National, Lake George, NY
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Last edited by Badger: Black Hills; 09-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger: Black Hills View Post
What everyone has said is well worth listening to. A simple sounding solution is to ride more. What that amounts to is building muscle memory that can take over when your mind fails you, and reactions that are faster then you could ever provide by thinking about it. So ride more, and practice, practice, practice counter steering. And one more thing, which I have definitely done since my experience 7 years ago with my lapse of attention in an s curve with an oncoming truck, slow down. Now go out there and ride safe and enjoy it!

I agree with you!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #15

All great words of wisdom....Have faith in yourself, till something happens, then study your short comings, rise above it all.
After getting off for alot of years, it wouldn't hurt to take a few advanced riding lessions....
I'm always getting in how slow can you go, and tight turn, avoidance maneuvers stuff.
Get to where you can go where your wanting the bike to go, manuever it however you want it, and look at the vids on how to pick up a downed bike....pratice, pratice and pratice.
But never, ever ride past your abilities....
The Nomads handle great, are great bikes, but never ever enter into a sharp s-bend too fast like your riding a Laguna Seca....a buncha asphalt rash and a expensive parts replacement list awaits.
Never ride beyond your abilities, I used to ride dirt bikes too, all sorts of riding helps. Get it all to where its all second nature to you.
If you feel the Nomad is too top heavy, go to a meanie, install a batwing and bags, extra lights, etc. The meanie is lower, and lighter....alot easier to throw around on s-curves and won't wash out as bad....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI