Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

99 Nomad not starting

Hey gang,

Went out to run an errand on the nomad today - started fine and was warming up, suddenly dropped idle and stalled in driveway. Would crank strong, but not even try to fire. It has sat a couple of weeks maybe, but that’s it. Noticed gas coming out of bottom of air cleaner, right hand side. Took cover off and shot some carb fluid in just see if it wanted to fire. Nothing. Checked the fuses under seat, all good.

I’m assuming it’s in the spark end of things although I thought maybe fuel pump. But wouldn’t the carb cleaner have at least fired it up briefly, even if pump was bad?

This is a carb model, so I shouldn’t hear the pump prime when the key turns on correct?

Any thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Off Manual

4. Carb issues / Fuel pump issue and or spark issue are my thoughts.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Same here. I found an older post pointing to the boot on the carb working loose. I am checking that first tomorrow and looking electrical after that.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Well, to see if its firing, I use a inline tester. Its a gapped device in a clear plastic housing....

Put this Lisle tester, avail. at any auto parts store (about $10), on your plug, then plug your spark plug lead into this. Crank her, looking at your gap in the plastic housing....if no spark....ign. problem. Yellowish spark....weak ignition....
Even with a good healthy ignition, though it might have a vacuum leak or flooding, it'll usually spit, pop, maybe even backfire a little.

Yes, a leaking intake will surely stop a engine from running....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-13-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #5

Verdict in (I hope). I had out an extra gallon of gas in the tank last nite to see f it was just low and maybe the reserve screen was clogged or something. It still didn’t start, so I left it.
Went out today and hooked up my inline tester, and it fires right up! Runs fine, idles fine. I took it for a quick drive around the block - no problem at all!

So I’m thinking my screen is clogged perhaps? I had 83 miles on the odometer, but I can’t tell you if they were around town or on the highway. I can even remember if I had reset the dial right away. Who knows. Hopefully this isn’t an intermittent problem that strands me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads