Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Looking for suggestions on laptop

After I move (no more than a couple of months), I'm thinking about replacing my desktop and older (but decent) laptop w/a single, higher end laptop. This needs to work as a desktop replacement. It needs to be compatible w/some sort of quick connect dock (similar to this). I want to be able to plug in 2 monitors, k/b, mouse, hot swap dock and/or external HDDs/SSDs, etc and be able to just pop the laptop out when I want to take it w/me.

I don't game but I DO want something fairly powerful so I don't feel the need to upgrade every year. A larger, higher res screen would be preferable (4K is NOT necessary). I need to be able to upgrade the HDD/SSD and RAM. I'd prefer a "name brand" as they tend to have more backing than the off brands. A fast processor is also a must although I'm not picky about brand. Both Intel and AMD have their pros and cons. I'll probably run Win7 or 10, if it matters. Since it will run 2 monitors, a dedicated GPU is probably a plus although I might be able to get by w/o it. (I'll watch quite a bit of HD (but NOT 4K) video (TV/movies) on my monitors.) Quality or availability of a web cam means nothing. DVD burner is also a must. Plenty of USB 3 ports are also a plus.

I don't need a top of the line, $3000 laptop. Gently used is fine. I'd like to spend less than $1000, if possible including a dock and decent specs.

If anybody has a laptop that would meet my needs they want to sell, PM me. If not, what brands and/or models would you guys suggest?

Thanks, guys/gals.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Not for that price, not new. I do computer support and order what you want with Dell's Latitude line, 15" desktop replacement. The cost for something good is around 2000-2400 for sure. Thing is, the new dells don't use the quick disconnect docks anymore. The use a box that has a thunderbolt connection. We only use Dells and Macs, so that's all I have experience with. The business class computers are so much better than the consumer level, which is crap. I've worked on Inspirons and they aren't good computers. The Latitudes are such that one would think it's a different manufacturer. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. That said, if you're looking at a Windows computer, make sure it has a SSD. Rotational drives suck and are slow. 8 gigs ram minimum, 16 gigs is a better idea and nothing less than an i5 processor. Most of the desktop replacements I order are 500gb SSD, 16gb ram, i7 processor and discreet video, usually ATI.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Not for that price, not new. I do computer support and order what you want with Dell's Latitude line, 15" desktop replacement. The cost for something good is around 2000-2400 for sure. Thing is, the new dells don't use the quick disconnect docks anymore. The use a box that has a thunderbolt connection. We only use Dells and Macs, so that's all I have experience with. The business class computers are so much better than the consumer level, which is crap. I've worked on Inspirons and they aren't good computers. The Latitudes are such that one would think it's a different manufacturer. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. That said, if you're looking at a Windows computer, make sure it has a SSD. Rotational drives suck and are slow. 8 gigs ram minimum, 16 gigs is a better idea and nothing less than an i5 processor. Most of the desktop replacements I order are 500gb SSD, 16gb ram, i7 processor and discreet video, usually ATI.
Some good avice there...especially the SSD.

On the flip side I usually make the mistake of getting so wrapped up in the bells and whistles that I waste money. Speed and memory are my priority.

Classic example is purchasing my first VCR. I wanted all the bells and whistles but at the end of the day I just hit the play button. Wasted about 30% in cost. Always remember that to avoid repeating it again but I am not always successful.

Your needs might only require a $1,200 machine (or less). I use mine mainly for surfing the web, emails, some basic PowerPoint, Excel, & Word. No reason to go nuts in my case.

Good Luck!

P.S. Costco carries an LG split & full screen 34" monitor so you don't need two monitors. Works well for my needs and it was pretty cheap. Under $300.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Last edited by schoeney; 10-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Some good avice there...especially the SSD.

On the flip side I usually make the mistake of getting so wrapped up in the bells and whistles that I waste money. Speed and memory are my priority.

Classic example is purchasing my first VCR. I wanted all the bells and whistles but at the end of the day I just hit the play button. Wasted about 30% in cost. Always remember that to avoid repeating it again but I am not always successful.

Your needs might only require a $1,200 machine (or less). I use mine mainly for surfing the web, emails, some basic PowerPoint, Excel, & Word. No reason to go nuts in my case.

Good Luck!

P.S. Costco carries an LG split & full screen 34" monitor so you don't need two monitors. Works well for my needs and it was pretty cheap. Under $300.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I Believe in future proofing. Get a little more/better now and it’ll be workable longer. 1200 would be for a high end consumer computer. I don’t know if other brands have quick disconnect docks. Dell changed and removed the facility on the new ones. I have a 15” MacBook Pro for work and a older 11” MacBook Air at home. I like it better than an iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 10-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

You're talking pretty decent money for what you you want. Most home consumer-market laptops don't have facilities for docking stations. You are looking for business class hardware and the price is quite a bit higher. We use Lenovo laptops where I work (we are a Windows shop) and we are all issued a laptop and docking station. Mine is connected to two monitors. This is my office setup.

For home, I had been buying low-end ($300-$400) home office class laptops and they only last me a year or so before the hard drive goes tits up. Hard drives are cheap nowadays and they do not last like they used to.

A few months ago I bought a Dell Inspiron 15.7" with 16gb RAM, 2tb hard drive and an i7 quad core cpu for around $800 on sale at Costco. This thing is a workhorse. I use the laptop screen and an external monitor that I connect to the HDMI port on the laptop, that way I can put my remote desktop window on the larger 22" monitor for work and keep the laptop screen for my local stuff. I do play games, but not on my laptop. I have a PS3 and a PS4 for that. SS drives are the way to go, except they can get outrageously expensive over about 500gb. We'll see how this Dell holds up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Looking for suggestions on laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
You're talking pretty decent money for what you you want. Most home consumer-market laptops don't have facilities for docking stations. You are looking for business class hardware and the price is quite a bit higher. We use Lenovo laptops where I work (we are a Windows shop) and we are all issued a laptop and docking station. Mine is connected to two monitors. This is my office setup.

For home, I had been buying low-end ($300-$400) home office class laptops and they only last me a year or so before the hard drive goes tits up. Hard drives are cheap nowadays and they do not last like they used to.

A few months ago I bought a Dell Inspiron 15.7" with 16gb RAM, 2tb hard drive and an i7 quad core cpu for around $800 on sale at Costco. This thing is a workhorse. I use the laptop screen and an external monitor that I connect to the HDMI port on the laptop, that way I can put my remote desktop window on the larger 22" monitor for work and keep the laptop screen for my local stuff. I do play games, but not on my laptop. I have a PS3 and a PS4 for that. SS drives are the way to go, except they can get outrageously expensive over about 500gb. We'll see how this Dell holds up.

SSDs have gotten reasonable. 1tb is well under $200 now. Most don’t need more than 250, 500 tops. I pay a few bucks a month for cloud storage and keep all my important stuff up there, photos included. I used one as a backup of the other basically. I can get by with a 250 if I have to, which I do with my work laptop, but 500 would be about right. I also use a rotational 1tb for a Time Machine backup as a third backup. I have a 24” dell display 2 and a 27” apple Thunderbolt Display 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Thanks, guys. I know I don't need a top of the line laptop but I also know I need something more than a bargain basement laptop. One of the things I need this for is to watch movies and TV, both on the laptop and on a separate monitor.

I can get by w/o a dock if necessary. As long as I can still get the rest of the features I need.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Did you get something?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Did you get something?

Nope. Thanks for asking. I'm not in a huge hurry. Tomorrow, next month, a few months. I'm hoping to upgrade by the end of the year, at least.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860