Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

Bike lugs in low gears

I had a weird thing happen the other day while riding around town. You know what it feels like when you are in too high a gear at too low a speed and the bike gets to that point it just starts 'luggin'? Why would it do that in second gear? ..even in first gear not wanting to get up and go off the line?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Top Contributor

It will do that in any gear if you are in too high a gear for the speed you are traveling.

Last edited by redjay; 10-19-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

You need to rev it higher.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Advanced Member

My VN1600 has a tach on it when I bought it. It also has a 2nd gear issue so until I repair it I am either revving it higher in 1st gear or lugging it slightly in 3rd gear. My Vulcan also has V&H pipes, Baron air intake and Power Commander. So it runs really well even at low rpms. But if I ride through a local roundabout in 3rd gear it gets down to less than 1500 rpm so I have to be easy on the throttle to get it back up to speed. If your Vulcan is lugging/chugging in 2nd gear I'd assume you are shifting to 2nd way too early and getting on the throttle too much after shifting to 2nd gear too quickly.

Ride it at higher rpms and the lugging should be gone. I have noticed other riders of big cruisers riding around town at 35mph in 4th gear because they like the low thump thump thump power. This is my 1st ever big cruiser and while the low end torque is enticing, be aware the Vulcan torque curve is strongest from 2000 rpm to about 2800 rpm. If you are riding it at revs below 2000 rpm you are not getting the best performance from the bike. Keep in mind too, that lugging the engine at low rpm also reduces the oil flow at times when the engine is being loaded more heavily, so again it is better to get the revs up.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:00 AM   #5

Thanks andyvh1959.
This is a replacement motor thats done twice as many miles as my original. I never had this issue with my previous motor and I haven't changed how I ride my bike. To turn into my street, I shift from 3rd or 4th done to 2nd. If I go back to first I 'lock' the back wheel due to the shaft drive...it's a second gear corner and one my previous motor would have had no issue with. I find I also need to rev alot harder to pull away in first too, same issue in my book. I used to lift my feet the moment I began to release clutch and I was gone, with ample power.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #6

Thanks andyvh1959.
This is a replacement motor thats done twice as many miles as my original. I never had this issue with my previous motor and I haven't changed how I ride my bike. To turn into my street, I shift from 3rd or 4th done to 2nd. If I go back to first I 'lock' the back wheel due to the shaft drive...it's a second gear corner and one my previous motor would have had no issue with. I find I also need to rev alot harder to pull away in first too, same issue in my book. I used to lift my feet the moment I began to release clutch and I was gone, with ample power.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Advanced Member

I would raise the bike off the ground, hit the brake pedal, then spin the rear wheel to see if the brakes are releasing. Also could be the shaft in a bind from a bad u-joint.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngwarrior View Post
Thanks andyvh1959.
Here is a few more things to consider. If you are locking your back wheel in a down shift perhaps the previous owner of the replacement motor changed out the clutch, stock clutch is a slipper clutch at least it is in a 1600. Also how much slack do you have in your throttle cables, too much and it can feel like a dead spot and lug when you twist on the throttle after backing right off in a low speed corner.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Hm,..is the bike stock (intake and exhaust)? Maybe its a low throttle lean condition and the bike is lugging because the engine isn't getting enough fuel for the throttle position you're applying for a 2nd gear turn. I agree with your description, but it sounds like the bike may be struggling keeping up with the throttle you're applying.

My 1600 does quite good for the complete lack of 2nd gear. I'm surprised by the number of times I've rolled through a roundabout in 3rd gear and exited it at about 1500 rpm and the big ol' twin just chugs through it. I'm looking forward to how well this bike will ride once I've fixed 2nd gear.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
I would raise the bike off the ground, hit the brake pedal, then spin the rear wheel to see if the brakes are releasing. Also could be the shaft in a bind from a bad u-joint.
There is no problem with it rolling, but wouln't be too much hassle to lift rear. Not sure what you mean about the shaft in a bind..

Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Here is a few more things to consider. If you are locking your back wheel in a down shift perhaps the previous owner of the replacement motor changed out the clutch, stock clutch is a slipper clutch at least it is in a 1600. Also how much slack do you have in your throttle cables, too much and it can feel like a dead spot and lug when you twist on the throttle after backing right off in a low speed corner.
The rear doesn't lock up as such...it's only a momentary thing. And maybe this is a issue of too low revs...but my original motor also did the first time I rode it, I just learned not to go back to first, and never needed to.
i will definately be checking the throttle cables as they have been removed with engine change over.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Hm,..is the bike stock (intake and exhaust)? Maybe its a low throttle lean condition and the bike is lugging because the engine isn't getting enough fuel for the throttle position you're applying for a 2nd gear turn. I agree with your description, but it sounds like the bike may be struggling keeping up with the throttle you're applying.

My 1600 does quite good for the complete lack of 2nd gear. I'm surprised by the number of times I've rolled through a roundabout in 3rd gear and exited it at about 1500 rpm and the big ol' twin just chugs through it. I'm looking forward to how well this bike will ride once I've fixed 2nd gear.
I believe the exhaust is stock, but I'm not sure. Goat bladder has been removed an the pipes look cheap...the chrome is only covers apart from ends, which I think are 'jardines'.
The motor was purchased from U.S. and has coasters, which my previous motor didn't have.
Carbi would be right for australian fuel as that is original, but maybe not best setup for the motor???
My original spark plugs have a '7' at the end and the ones that came with bike are '5', I was told that was a temperature thing, when I find the 4th plug I will try swapping them over.
It has also been suggested to me that it could be a ignition/timing issue. I have no idea about this...
I do know that the motor has new cam chains AND extenders, could this be creating an issue? ..the chains are sooo tight!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #13

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA DUDE! What plugs are you running???????? You don't go jacking around with your plugs heat range! Put stock plugs back in !, unless you know how to 'read plugs'! Put the extenders back stock....cam chains are supposed to run tight....
Your timing/ign. should be fine, the motor specs can be confirmed in repair book. Theres not alot of adjustment there....
Do a good basic tuneup, if your carbed, might wanna raise your needle a groove or 2, (that'll wake her ass up some). Adjust your throttle cable to stock dimensions.
Rev the bike up some, these bikes have rev limiters built in.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-30-2018 at 06:55 AM.