Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Ethanol - an ugly thread - should you use it?

Have been avoiding ethanol for a long time. Had a Windstar that the CHECK ENGINE light would come on about half way through a tank of E10. Follow up with non-E gas and the CHECK ENGINE light would go off again after some miles. That was my first attention getter to E gas. Then started tracking MPGs with and without E gas. This was back when E gas was only a nickle less per gallon...
After several months of tracking MGPs in the various vehicles with and without E gas, found that a 2 to 2.5MPG improvement on NON E gas. Worth the nickle per gallon difference? - Maybe...
During that same time frame, started to realize the lawnmower and weed-eater were getting harder to start. Had always bought the CHEAP GAS for them right. The can just sits there anyway... So cleaned those little carbs and whatnots, new plugs, yadda, yadda. Started using non E GAS there too. We can debate if the cleaning and plugs was really the problem - fair discussion. No problems with those small engines since. Non E gas since and they haven't been cleaned again since... :)
As time has gone bye, seen the price difference increase from a nickle to fifty cents per gallon. In my little mind, this is the powers that be trying to entice use to us the E gas anyway. At 50 cents a gallon the MPG argument isn't an argument anymore. But the TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP is, and in my way of thinking the repair and maintenance costs due to E gas is not worth the savings at the pump.

This link was posted on another forum. It's a good one IMHO. https://www.cycleworld.com/real-worl...r-tank#page-15

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Advanced Member

I always fuel up the Vaquero with clear ethanol-free gas because we have an abundance of it here where I live. My Nissan pickup runs fine on E-10 based fuel and still turns in pretty good MPG figures as it is much less money per gallon than clear fuel like about 1.00 or more! BUT...my lawnmowers, outboard marine engine, motorcycles, chain saw, weed whacker etc. all get E-free fueling no matter what.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #3

I use E-10 in my car and truck.
Will not use it in my lawn mowers,weed eaters,chain saw,snow blower etc.
Will use it in my motorcycle if on a trip and that is all there is. Figure if on a trip it wont be in there that long.

Around home it is non E gas in the bikes.
I don't think it hurts to run E-10, I think the problem arises when it is left in the tank for a period of time and it collects moisture. That is what I have been told.
They are now trying to get E-15 in all stations. It is all political bull shit.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

*LIKE*
Agree with you TC, how long it is going to sit in the tank is a big part of the problem.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

I'll run almost anything in the truck and bike, many times I have no choice about it anyways. But in all my small engines, I will only use ethanol free premium fuel.
And I'll drain them of fuel when they sit over the winter to avoid any carb problems.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Around here you never know what it is. The pumps say 'MAY' contain ethanol. I was always under the impression the Hi-test is ethanol free but I don't believe that to be true anymore.
I go thru gas fast enough in the summer that the gas doesn't have enough time to go bad, winter I change it out every month for fresh and dump the older in my truck.
I've seen damage caused by old ethanol fuel in small engines....not pretty, it should be outlawed and I'd drive miles further to get fuel I know is ethanol free..
I was always meaning to test it but never did get around to it..................Mike

Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Texas only has gas with Ethanol, at least in the Gulf Coast Area.
It is the only gas that has been ran in my 03 with 36,000 miles.
No issues thus far. I have never used gas without so have not experienced the performance difference. Since I am able to ride year round, it does not stay in the tank for extended periods.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

California gas stations have all had 10% Ethanol since 2010.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/almanac/tr...a/ethanol.html

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 12-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
But in all my small engines, I will only use ethanol free premium fuel.
And I'll drain them of fuel when they sit over the winter to avoid any carb problems.

Steve, i don't drain the tanks in my small engines but I use gas stabilizer ( Stabil brand ) according to the directions. No problem starting in the spring.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #10

Don't even get me started on the ethanol bullshit and all the political crap that goes along with it....
Use a fuel stabalizer to keep it fresh, and it will help with the seperation....
I also run octane booster to puck up a little mpg running the ethanol. These bikes are good with E10, E15 my bike only likes it if I run a good quality octane booster, since I'm running so much compression and cam....
The really watered down fuel would take a custom EFI system.....which they do make for custom built V twins....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #11

Only E10 in the Atlanta metro area. Oh, I'm sure there are a few stations around with non-ethanol, but I have no idea where they might be and it isn't worth searching them out.

All of my vehicles run fine on E10, including the Voyager. If they are going to sit for a while, I add some Seafoam to take care of separation.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
California gas stations have all had 10% Ethanol since 2010.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/almanac/tr...a/ethanol.html
Same with Arizona. All the gas pumps around here are labeled either contains 10% ethanol or may contain up to 10% ethanol.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

I'm lucky down here.

Half the stations have what they call Rec 90, which is ethanol free 90 octane unleaded fuel.

My bikes get that 9 out of 10 fill ups.
VBA 936

Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Thank you everyone for checking this out for me. I feel so Special. In Minnesota-Minneapolis anyway. We are not pumping e10 -in 91 octane . Good to know It will not really affect my daily drives should things change. Not counting on much change unless the current administration requires COAL as an additive to pay for the wall. Don't laugh these suckers are a screwy bunch.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 02-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
Advanced Member

I'm in Wisconsin. So like you in Minnesota I have lots of choices for ethanol free gas. In my motorcycles I avoid ANY ethanol blend fuel any time I can. If on a big tour I'll fuel with E10 because I'll use it all. NEVER ever store a motorcycle or any small engine with E10 or E15. If you bike sits more than is ridden, if most of your riding is short runs of less than 30 miles, if you live in areas of high humidity, do all you can to avoid using ANY ethanol blended fuel.

In Wisconsin and Minnesota Kwik-Trip convenience stores are hugely popular and are as common as Walgreens and Starbucks. Kwik-Trip does sell non-ehtanol premium, alongside E10 and now the E15 bullshit crap (opps, did I say that?). E15 blend is priced lowest, but that is BS if anyone thinks it saves $$. In fact, using E10 or E15 cost more money overall because more E10 or E15 is required per user for whatever miles they drive.

I complained to my congressman last year when I first saw E15 at the Kwik Trip pumps. His reply was basically since E15 was written into the Ethanol use law years ago it matters not whether it makes economic sense or that the market does not want ethanol blend fuels, the law says it will happen.