Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-30-2019, 04:00 AM   #1

I took test ride on a can-am ryker

I just thought allot of you out there might like my opinion bad or good since we all get up in age two wheels does not do it any more or sickness like myself forces you to look at other alternatives.

So I tried it let me tell you about the newest model Can-Am has out called the Ryker. It is a much smaller machine than the Spyder first off. It uses a 77 HP in the larger version which I drove 900 cc Rotax engine. It weights in at only 630 lbs the Spyder 1330 cc engine. The Ryker will wax the Spyder every time in a race hands down. It is fast amazing fast. It uses a CVT automatic transmission. Which really in a way is no transmission as it is your throttle which controls the speed there is no gears at all except for a reverse. It also uses a shaft drive to the front wheels. It as I said is a very small machine you sit very low down compared to the Spyder. The wheels are narrow up front and it is also a short machine 67 inches and seat height is only 23 inches.

The website fools you as it looks like a bigger machine. I got to dealership and I was shocked to find it well tiny. It is ski doo like. I asked about engine
lastability and answer is they have no clue has not been out long enough. It is really a jet ski engine. So I get on the trike and off we go. Scary as hell for a guy who has been on two wheels all his life. It has amazing power you can smoke the tires off it. It is very fast first off and it steers nothing like a bike the actual fact is it has more feels like a convertible car than a bike. Its steering because wheels are close together is very quick you move that steering wheel one little bit an you are moving over right now. I asked how long tires last well no luck there about the same as a motorbike and you have three of them and I am told they are expensive. Everything is an option if you want a rear seat option any luggage is an option and the windshield well it is a joke. It is bumpy on the roads short wheel base also.

How did I find it would I want a three wheeler. I did not like the handling compared to a bike. I did not like how low it sat for visibility sitting so low I feel is not great for other drivers in cars and trucks to see you. I hated the handling for sure just could not get over how fast and responsive it was just was not for me.

Would I go with a three wheel trike after a test ride. I walked away and never turned a head back. The answer is no just not for me who rode a two up motorcycle for so long it is just not me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Here's my two cents worth Dave. Understand where you are coming from, Not sure I would like it either, however check out MOTOR TILTING WORKS and their product. Saw it on a youtube from Jay Leno's garage who test drove it. Check it out. I thought it was cool and almost like riding two wheels again. Let me know what you think?

Old 05-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

AHHH, What the Heck. You tried it any way. Nice review too by the way

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the review and I hope you can find something that will work for you.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that Dave. We appreciate it. As the rest of us draw nearer to our last two-wheeled ride, these reports may keep us enthused...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

A friend of mine just bought one of them; he's not a motorcycle rider, so far he loves it and has added many accessories and looks good. Will I ever buy one of them, nop. I like two wheels maybe when I get old enough and can't hold the bike I would then look at the bigger ones ie: Spyder with all the bells and whistle.

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums...ps6yffupyu.jpg

Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #7

My wife has a Spyder 2013 RS SE5. I drove it and can relate with Buckey. Ride is not for me. However it is much bigger than the Ryker. You sit higher and the RS is the sport bike of the line. it is real wheel drive with paddle shift five speed for up shifts only. Bike down shifts itself. Has power steering and traction control. With these two things it is a go cart on steroids. Steering is so tight and precise it is kind of jittery to be honest. you point it and it goes that way. Off the lien, Nothing outside of a sport bike like it. It is a rocket. Tires others are car size tires. They will get over 20K on them. So cost to replace is cheap. I am not a fan but she loves it and gets her out to ride with me. All I care about

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder

Old 06-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Thanks mates for your opinions.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
Top Contributor

I took a look at the Ryker and an F3 Spyder while I was in the dealership getting stuff for an oil change. The Ryker feels very small. The F3 Spyder has adjustable foot pegs (and handlebars I think) so you can customize the most comfortable position for your individual needs. If I was in the market for a Spyder the F3 with bags would be my choice.