Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Crying My friggin' sad story

I bought a great 2014 Nomad about 2 months ago after being off 2 wheels for a couple of years (other than the occasional "test ride"). I've always been good with the occasional floorboard scrape. Digging into corners was a joy although a couple hundred miles in a relatively straight line was fine, too.

I like the Nomad. It needed some wind management for me (although I'm fairly picky) but rode great...smooth, good power, comfortable, masculine to be perfectly honest. I felt like I was in heaven.....in a straight line. The bike performs well in the curves (we have a lot of those around here) but it makes me nervous now. No idea why. I haven't had an unintended dismount in decades and the few I've had have been fairly minor.

I thought, I'll just ride more and I'll feel better about the curves. Nope. I just couldn't do it. My rides got shorter as I just can't get my head around the curves. Probably some deep mental issue but it doesn't matter.

About 2 weeks ago, I decided the time had come to sell the Nomad. I can't see paying for something that just sits or that I don't feel comfortable on. I've bought a few bikes to flip but I've probably never had 1 for such a short time. Once the bank gets my title back (something about NC titles go to a central clearing house...stupid rule), I'll put it in the For Sale section.

About a week ago, I bought a new 2018 (demo/holdover) Can Am Spyder RT Limited. Fun "bike" and I feel comfortable on it. There's no thought in the back of my mind that the wheels will slip out from under me.

So, there's my friggin' sad story. I'm not leaving VBA but once I sell the Nomad, I won't be on 2 wheels any longer. If there comes a time when I don't even feel safe on 3 wheels, I'll hang up my helmet and buy a convertible. 40 years of 2 wheels. /sigh/ Makes me sad but it is what it is, I guess.

I just wanted to post so when someone saw my ad in the For Sale section, they'd know the story behind it.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Top Contributor

That is so different from my experience. I took a new Spyder for a test ride and felt like it was in charge, not me. I cut the test ride short and took it back and was happy to ride my motorcycle home.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I have ridden a lot of the North Carolina roads and you folks have a lot of nice curves and elevation changes in them. At 57 and more metal in me than most cars now days I found when I went to the Voyager from the 1500 Nomad that I have slowed down (maybe just slightly) in the curves. The weight of the bike gives it the corner push and steering is heavy feel compared to most large bikes. I have broke the rear tire loose cornering more than I've wanted to. I can imagine the 1700 Nomad feels close to the same(minus the top heavy fairing and trunk). When I get to where I can't hold the bike up anymore I plan on triking it. After being off a bike for a while I could see where the mental fatigue of a heavy bike can play factor in your decision to change.

Ride what ever makes you comfortable,,,,,, as long as you enjoy the ride.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:42 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Sorry to hear that. With age comes limitations. We should know them. I have had some back surgeries and I don't ride much anymore. What really hit home was taking a spill hiking on New Years day. I imagine if I went down on a bike I'd probably be crippled or worse. As much as I had entertained getting a new bike not that long ago, now I think I will give it up in the next year or two.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #5

Age definitely brings change and unfortunately it's usually not for the better.

Sometimes change is hard to accept when we can't do what we used to do. In time you will adjust.

Nothing wrong with riding 3 wheels. Lots of folks prefer them over 2 wheels. Folks like different things.

Enjoy riding while you can. We all have to do something that brings a little joy in life or else life is not worth living.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I have something going on with my shoulder. I think it is arthritis and it started getting worse around November. I will have to wait until the bike comes out of storage to see if riding is going to aggravate it. If so 2020 might be my last riding season.
I have had a good run. I started motorcycling in 1968 and can't imagine life without a motorcycle.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #7

I am now down to a light weight bike for running around town and day rides.....the last long ride I took last year was hard to complete. I had to force myself to ride the last two days (very painful). I've tried a number of different trikes, a Voyager kit on a 1500 Kaw, an 1800 GoldWing traditional trike, and a Can Am Spyder. None of them impressed me.....when I am done riding, in probably a couple of years, I'll get another Miata for wind therapy.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #8

MonkeyMan, the brain "whispering in your ear" is a very powerful thing. The Spyder's are quick and fun and will provide the wind in your face sensation. If your brain isn't whispering in your ear while riding it, then perfect!

Enjoy those beautiful roads, forget the number of tires and get out there!

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 02-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Thanks, guys. I really like the Spyder although it's difficult going from a 2 wheeler to 3. Everything I learned about a 2 wheeler is different on this. For example, you need a light touch and loose arms on the Spyder to stay steady. On a 2 wheeler, you need just the opposite. You still lean into corners but the since the Spyder doesn't lean (at least not any more than a car), it feels weird.

redjay---I've been told it takes a 2 wheeler rider close to 500 miles on a Spyder/Ryker before they feel truely comfortable. Now that I've put a few hundred miles on mine, I really get that. I'm much more steady now than I was when I first got it but I can see that I still have a ways to go.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860