Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

Cam Chain Tensioner Problem

I installed Chuck’s extenders on my 1600 motor last season, and noticed oil leaking from the rear spark plug tube last week. Pulled the cam chain tensioner and re-set it just in case. Then oil started pouring out of the tensioner. Pulled the tensioner again, and I’m getting a pile of resistance trying to re-install with the tensioner pulled back to no extension. I can barely get the tensioner in place to install it. Very weird...

Any ideas what’s going on here?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Did you rotate the engine or move the bike in gear while the tensioner was out ?

Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Did you rotate the engine or move the bike in gear while the tensioner was out ?
No - nothing moved.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
I installed Chuck’s extenders on my 1600 motor last season, and noticed oil leaking from the rear spark plug tube last week. Pulled the cam chain tensioner and re-set it just in case. Then oil started pouring out of the tensioner. Pulled the tensioner again, and I’m getting a pile of resistance trying to re-install with the tensioner pulled back to no extension. I can barely get the tensioner in place to install it. Very weird...

The oil that was leaking was probably from the o-rings on the spark plug well.
Every time you take the tube out you should replace the prints.

When you are reinstalling the cam chain tensioner be sure the chain is compressed on the side of the tensioner. Use you finger to feel if the chain is
Loose on the side of the tensioner. Lock the piston back when you install the
Tensioner. Don’t release the piston till the base is secured.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 09-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post

When you pulled the tensioner, the lifters are sitting on top of the cams and the valves are open, putting a lot of tension on the chain. Do not under any circumstances touch or wiggle that chain. Get that tensioner in as quickly as you can. Push on it hard but very carefully, use the bolts to seat it, and pray you don’t hear a whirring noise and the tensioner suddenly goes in easily. If that happens, the chain slipped on the gear and you’ll be pulling the engine to reset the timing. And next time, make sure the cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke before pulling the tensioner. Don’t ask me how I know.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm View Post
When you pulled the tensioner, the lifters are sitting on top of the cams and the valves are open, putting a lot of tension on the chain. Do not under any circumstances touch or wiggle that chain. Get that tensioner in as quickly as you can. Push on it hard but very carefully, use the bolts to seat it, and pray you don’t hear a whirring noise and the tensioner suddenly goes in easily. If that happens, the chain slipped on the gear and you’ll be pulling the engine to reset the timing. And next time, make sure the cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke before pulling the tensioner. Don’t ask me how I know.
Luckily, no whirring and everything seems to be OK. As usual, thanks for the advice all!

Old 09-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #7

What tomm said! Catch the engine just right, cams just right, with the valves about 1/2 way up on the cam, pull that cam chain adjuster....and it'll make your cam try to turn the engine....theres alot of spring pressure there.
I noticed this several times replacing timing chains....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI