Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Question Meanstreak

May have a chance to snag an 07 Meanstreak with <700 hundred miles on it according to the owner. He bought it new, dropped it a couple of times and was afraid of it. He parked it in a shed and when that fell down he moved it inside a garage. The tank has a small dent and some pitting in the chrome, all turn singles are broken and the battery is dead. Unable to verify mileage or see if it will turn over since he may not really want to sell. Battery, fluids, hoses, air filter, tires, inspect gas tank, plugs, and cleaning out any rats nests that I find, what else should I be concerned with?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
Top Contributor

How it really got damaged and does he have the ownership showing the date he bought it in 2007 ?

Old 07-03-2021, 05:07 AM   #3
Advanced Member

At this point, the low miles is much less a value factor, probably contrary to what the seller may think the value is. If it is in running condition with a clean title, then it is still only worth what NADA or Kelly Blue Book says it is, but actually much less considering what obviously needs repair and what may need repair. He is the biggest reason for the devalued condition, because he never maintained it in ready running condition, aside from the damage and cosmetic issues. As a non runner, and who knows what needs to be done, I'd say maybe $2000? IF, IF the inside of the engine is ok. If not, $1000 tops. At least you could part it out and recoup the money. Doubtful any shop will want to take on this bike and get it running after you buy it, so if you buy it plan to do all the work yourself. Most shops charge $150 an hour for labor. A bike like this, could eat up two hours, five hours, ten hours, just to get it in running condition. So that is $300 to $1500 just to maybe get it running as good as a 2007 MS with 20,000 miles on it. These days a ready to ride 2007 MS with typical miles on it (14 years at 2000 miles per year is 28,000 miles) can be bought for less than $5000.

Assuming it is in Florida like you are, the salt air has likely gotten into at least one of the combustion chambers and possibly done damage above the piston rings. The chrome showing pitting on a bike with 700 miles on it indicates corrosive air has attacked it. Throttle body linkages may be corroded, likewise any other pivot point on the bike, electrical connections may be corroded. Throttle cables may be corroded and stuck, another reason to not try to start it. Has the bike been in any evident flooding? it I'd certainly get some type of a scope you attach to your smart phone to look inside the cylinder (should be easy to do with a spark plug out), before you make any money deal and definitely before you or him try to spin the engine over with a fresh battery or a battery jump. Take all the plugs out and use a scope to view inside both cylinders. If a plug comes out looking rusty on the end, may not have to look inside any further, you'd have the evidence. Exhaust is likely FULL of rust on the inside assuming the owner never sealed the intake and exhaust when he parked it. With that few miles on it I'd bet the owner never got the bike any serious highway time to dry out any condensation and salt air the engine sucked in on some short rides. Those short rides can cause a lot of internal condensation to form. If you plan to offer any money, at least take out the oil filler plug and suck out some oil before you hand over any bucks. The oil had better look absolutely clean and translucent dark brown. Any chocolate/milky color would indicate water has developed in the oil (even from condensation).

Really, for a bike not stored properly for long term idle time in a climate ripe with moisture, salt air and likely crappy E10 or even worse E15 fuel, its a good bet the inside of the fuel tank is full of rust. Same for the fuel pump. If the owner stored the bike with no fuel in the tank then rust is definite, and its very likely the fuel pump is a rusted clump. If the owner stored the bike with E10 then fuel degradation is as bad as rust, meaning the inside of the tank could be all gummed up, same for the fuel pump. IF, IF the owner properly stored the bike with the fuel tank full of whole gas, and a fuel stabilizer, AND kept the fuel tank filled and fresh fuel/stabilizer each year of storage then the fuel pump and inside of the fuel tank may be ok.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 07-03-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

I’m sure he did exactly zero maintenance on this bike and for proper storage I’m guessing the extent of that would be to leave in a shed with maybe a cover tossed over it. He did tell me that he rode it to the beach, maybe an hour away and it never made it to the first service mileage so none of the fluids have been changed. Sounds to be more trouble than its worth.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #5

I brought back a 1983 Yamaha XS650 with 850 miles that sat from 1984 to 2017. Motor was stuck but got it free with SeaFoam, Metal Rescue, ATF, and patience. Just recently resurrected a 1983 CX650 that just sat in a garage since 1990. Cosmetic issues with the chrome can be addressed with powder coat, and parts for the 1500/1600 are plentiful. It'll need tires, fork seals, hydraulic lines flushed, coolant, oil, etc...so I'd offer him maybe $1500 tops, prolly $1000 depending how bad it's dinged up from the drops. If he says no wish him luck unloading it.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #6

I really like the Meanie platform, had an 03 that was a blast to ride. Sounds like a lot of work to resurrect this one but if I can get at a steal I will prob pull the trigger. Swapping the engine and tranny into my Nomad is also an option.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #7

hee-hee....I likes the fast Nomads....Meanies are Great for such things....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

How much is this $700 bike?

My dog is my co pilot

Old 07-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #9

I say pull the spark plugs hook up jump cables turn the thing over and over and over again and again and again till you're sure it's got some great oil pressure then change the oil and plugs and let her rip man

My dog is my co pilot