Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #1

Question Pros and cons plz

I have an 06 Nomad, almost 71k miles, all but 2500 put on by me. Many extras, fits me well, mainly solo but 2 up at times. Has given me little trouble other than expected maintenance. Engine seems to make more noise than usual, recent mild oil leak on back cylinder, seems a little tired. Local dealer has a 2011 Vaquero with 30k miles, some aftermarket add ons that I would have done, stock seat, new tires. Pros and cons of 1600 engine rebuild or fresher engine swap? Pros and cons of 1700 Vaq vs 1600 Nomad. Dealer wants $7600 for Vaq, idk if Ivanized.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2021, 12:32 AM   #2

I smell that "New bike fever". Know it well, and I had all the same niggling doubts about my 1500 before I traded up. Whatever we all say, deep down you've made up your mind already, and everyone else's opinions & tips will count for only small movements on the Keep <---v---> Sell scale.

Enjoy the new ride!!! And first up... Ivanize it.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Have the dealer (yah right) pull the ECM and look for any engraving on the side of it. Ivan marks all the ones he upgrades. As far as the bike goes, take the wife with you. Have her sit on it. If she ain't happy you are gonna spend more money on her sitting. BUT,,,,, make sure the seat works for you. The stock seat hurt my butt and lower back. RDL took care of that. I loved my 1500 'mad I had but once on the Voyager I didn't look back. GO FOR IT!!

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:46 AM   #4

A back rest, and forward pegs on the crashbars, is the best mod you can do on these bikes. They make a huge difference in the comfort of the seat. Your arse is in a totally different position, and don't get sore for ages..

Old 10-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
Have the dealer (yah right) pull the ECM and look for any engraving on the side of it. Ivan marks all the ones he upgrades. As far as the bike goes, take the wife with you. Have her sit on it. If she ain't happy you are gonna spend more money on her sitting. BUT,,,,, make sure the seat works for you. The stock seat hurt my butt and lower back. RDL took care of that. I loved my 1500 'mad I had but once on the Voyager I didn't look back. GO FOR IT!!
Ivan puts a large oval sticker on the ECU so there is no mistaking an ECU that he has worked on. The engraving is just for reference.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by redjay; 10-13-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #6

I figure $2-3k to freshen up 1600, give me a few more years with it maybe hop it up some. Maybe about the same for a used engine swap, I don’t really know. The used Vaq is 10 years old and has what looks like a little pitting on aluminum parts, have not spoken to previous owner to know maintenance history. I really like the thought of the ABS and having a little more power but also don’t want to have 2 bikes to have to work on…

Old 10-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Ivan puts a large oval sticker on the ECU so there is no mistaking an ECU that he has worked on. They engraving is just for reference.
Mine just had the engraving with no sticker. 2 1/2 years ago.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #8

Have you ridden a 1700? If not, do so before buying one. If the dealer doesn't allow test rides, find a private seller and hope for a test ride. Make sure it pleases before committing.

I owned a 1500 Classic for 6 or 7 years and 60,000 miles. I never knew how much I liked it until I sold it and failed to find anything else that pleased me as much, including a 1700 Classic. The rider triangle was tightened up by Ma Kaw on the 1700s. At 6'2", I felt a little claustrophobic but it was tolerable. Surprisingly I felt like I had MORE leg room on the 1700 vs. the 1500 despite the scrunched rider triangle of the 1700.

If you buy one and it hasn't been Ivanized, get it Ivanized asap! I had ridden three 1700s (two Nomads and the Classic that I ended up buying). My impression after riding the first one was I would never own one! It was the herkiest jerkiest most irritating motorcycle ride I had ever experienced. It popped and spitted on decel - which is solved (mostly?) by Ivan's flash. The second one I rode was a Nomad and a helluva deal! I so wanted factory bags, mag wheels (tubes suck!) and dual disc brakes. Well, not too surprisingly, the impression I had after the test ride was the same as after the test ride of the first one.

The 1700 Classic I ended up buying was a convenience sort of thing along with a great price on a 9,000 mile bike. The damn thing rode just like the previous two 1700s I had ridden. I bought it December 28 and had the luxury of the seller delivering it in his enclosed trailer, a 500 mile round trip for him! Before Spring the following year I sent the ECU to Ivan. Though it made a world of difference overall, the herky jerky nature was mostly eliminated. Torque and HP were off the charts (so to speak). The 1700 loves to rev and boy did I rev it. It was fun to play with but there is more to riding than all out acceleration. Despite the flash, it still wasn't the pleasurable sort of ride that my ol' 1500 was.

I dealt the 1700 to a guy for his Yamaha Stratoliner which has the 1900 engine. I felt like a boat owner: the happiest day of my ownership was the day I got rid of it! Though the 'Liner was a far superior motorcycle in all facets, IT DIDN'T PLEASE ME EITHER!

About a month ago on Labor day weekend I bought a 17,000 mile 06 Nomad and couldn't be happier. Its mannerisms, in my opinion, are far better than the 1700 even after ECU flash. We're not all alike. Your mileage may vary. Perhaps the Vaq will please you.

Last edited by VulcanJeff; 10-13-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:09 AM   #9

Ive sat on the Vaq and the Voyager and understand the cramped feeling compared to my Nomad. Like I said I have many extras on my 06 and it fits me very well. The Vaq would really have to wow me to get me to purchase since I would have to begin the process all over again to begin to get it to fit. Handlebars, seat, driving lights, Ivanized. The ABS would be nice though I have ridden over 40 years without it. Either way I would be keeping the Nomad, she is part of the family. Ive even thought of going in a totally different direction and getting a Vulcan S or a 900 to play with and maybe getting my wife to finally ride.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:40 AM   #10

That old phrase " I used to be indecisive, but i'm fucked if i know anymore." comes to mind.

If your 1600 suits you so well, and 71,000 miles, is not a lot for these engines, why not just fix the small oil leak, or live with it, and tweak it a bit for more power. It would be a lot less expensive, and feel like a different bike. Have you junked all the emissions crap off of it yet ? Different pipes, ECU, air filter ect Have a read of this..

https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article...ann-intake-kit

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/deta...vulcan-1600-fi

https://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/m...rs/17-074.html

Old 10-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #11

Of course I’ve done all that Mick, can’t reflash ECU on 1600. Like I said at beginning of post, which would be better, rebuilding and hopping it up a bit or go the 1700 route.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:37 PM   #12
Advanced Member

When I had Russell Cycle Products do my seat on the 1700 I had them move me up and back in the seat and it gave me all the room I needed to take out the cramped feeling. After I had that seat done the 1500 Nomad felt cramped in the leg area. It also had the RDL seat.

Hay, if the 1600 feels right to you, I'd stay with it. When I bought my 1700 Voyager ($3000 loan value) I had plans to resell it and make a few hundred dollars cause I got it on a 'about to be repoed' deal. I didn't plan on liking it so well. Now I can't imagine being without it.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 10-14-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #13

I went thru the same thing. Being 6'4" and a 36"+ inseam cramped up on a bike isn't much fun.
My 1600 was set up to fit well. RDL seat moved me back, longhorn highway pegs, and risers. Mine was using oil and wanted a few of the features the Voyager offered.
I got the Voyager and modded the seat myself to start add the longhorns. And rode it 1100 miles one way to Antlers rally in Oklahoma. Was amazed how much better it handled and the power increase(was Ivanized by previous owner). I sent Seat to RDL over the winter. And added Chucksters shifter and brake extensions.
I had both bikes at the same time and would switch riding them. My thought was I could keep the 1600 if the 1700 didn't work out. Well the 1600 got sold in the fall.
I Feel you sit on the 1700 More like a Big Truck. And down into the 1600 more like a sports car.
So the comfort, handling, power increase, and the extras of the Voyager beat the 1600 hands down.
Most complaints about the 1700 are can't flat foot it, so its hard to backup and hold up at stops.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 10-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #14

That must be high, if you have trouble with it. I am 6ft, and could flat food my 1500, with bent knees.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #15

I'm 6ft & I flat foot My Vaquero with my knees bent and thats with a Mustang seat which is at least an inch taller than the stock seat !.