Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #1

Tire Patching Question

There have been several general "would you patch a tire" threads. This one isn't hypothetical. I picked up a roofing nail in my new (500 miles) Metzler radial. The rear. (In an odd way, I'm kinda proud of it. It's not in the center, it's way over toward the edge of the tread area.) Anyway, the nail is about 3/4 of an inch in from the edge of the tread, so not a heavy use area, and went through one of the tread grooves. I pulled it out and patched it with one of the corded strips coated with rubber cement that you push into the tire, pull back out, and then cut the excess off. It seems firm and is holding air well. (I figure at a minimum I need to get the bike to the shop.)

My inclination is to get a new tire. But given the newness of the tire and the area of the patch I though I'd check first. I have patched many car tires this way without any subsequent problems. My understanding from reading I have done is that bike patches are more difficult because the tire walls are thinner than car tires. Has anyone had experience with a puncture and patch like this?

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #2

Tire Patching Question

Kind of a tough call, and I don't have a definitive answer. I'd have the shop pull the tire and if they have a good tire person they could inspect it from the inside to better determine potential cord damage. They could then possibly patch it from the inside, after trimming your plug flush and it could be okay. Many people will tell you how they've ridden on a plugged or patched bike tire till its worn, example the recent thread/survey here, but it is your piece of mind that you need to consider, and maybe pay for. No one we've heard here from seems to be familiar with the statistics that have led to all this concern about patched bike tires. I sure couldn't get a regular tire shop anywhere to touch fixing a bike tire.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #3

Tire Patching Question

I've had the bad luck of picking up nails in two rear tires in the past 4 years. The first was dead (no pun intended) center of the tread.I patched it using the same method you spoke of and rode it for 5,000 miles. The second was similar, but for some reason I did not feel comfortable patching and riding the second time. The new tire was expensive, but I sure felt more secure. If it happens again I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a new tire.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #4

Tire Patching Question

Personally I believe it would come down to how much weight I carry and how far I plan to go. I had a nail in a tire once and I put a plug in it and rode the rest of the season. However, it was a 750 Shadow and I never left town on it. I don't think I would try to get a full 8000 miles out of that metz but I would bet you could ride it for some time.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Tire Patching Question

I think all are good comments here.... My personal opinion is leaning more towards Ells. I would take the tire off and have it patched from the inside as well....with the largest patch I could find. Between the plug and a patch on the inside, I would feel comfortable riding on that one. As far as just plugging it and not worrying about it.... ehh...if it were more in the middle maybe. There is more surface area for the weight OP is talking about. When you're cornering, you have to take into account not only the weight of the bike, but yourself, and the centrifical force that's being generated also. Those 3 things along, would greatly increase the overall weight you're dealing with. Now...take that extra weight and put it in a smaller surface area on the tire.... that's where I wouldn't have a good/safe feeling.

Good luck though... and when you take into account the cost of a new tire - vs - cost of medical bills or (GOD I HOPE THIS NEVER HAPPENS) Mortuary Bills...... The cost of the tire is trivial!!! IMHO!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Tire Patching Question

I wouldn't hesitate to patch a car or truck tire, because:

1. If the patch fails, you still have 3 other tires
2. It's fairly easy to mount a spare

On a bike, you are compromising 50% of your motorcycle/asphalt interface. I think it's a risk I am not willing to take. I understand the expense of replacing motorcycle tires, but I'd hate to be injured or killed (I'd really hate that) over a $200 tire.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #7

Tire Patching Question

I agree with CJ 100%
I look at plugging a tire as only a temporary fix to get me home if on a trip.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

Tire Patching Question

Thanks for the advice. Bought a new one during lunch. No sense risking injury or spending 13,000 miles ill at ease.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
Tire Patching Question

i've used plugs many times. no problems.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Tire Patching Question

Take a few days and ride, to see if any lumps and bumps form near the wound. If they do you cut a internal cord and the tire is dead junk. If you don't ,with a careful inspection you probably didn't cut a cord and it just might be ok.

Then of course there is always that nagging question... Is it ok?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it