Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Stock pipes or not?

Just wanted to know how many of y'all liked the stock pipes? I don't want "loud" pipes, but I want them to hear me coming and I also want cars and trucks to hear me, also. I don't want to sneak up on anyone.... Every time I hear a Gold Wing drive by, it sounds like a weedeater..it's so quiet and I don't want that....
Also, how's the horn on the Nads? I heard they weren't bad and others told me I might want to get an air horn. As you can tell it will be another couple of weeks before I pick mine up at the dealership..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Stock pipes or not?

check this out

Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Stock pipes or not?

Search this site, you'll find tons on info on Cobra, V&H, Roadhouse and jardine pipes.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #4

Stock pipes or not?

I've debaffeled mine already but it was interesting to watch the video. This is great for those who are apprehensive like I was. Good post.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

Stock pipes or not?

When I want someone to hear me I have a Stebel air horn, otherwise I don't count on other people looking out for me, I feel better if I'm the one doing that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Stock pipes or not?

As of right now, I have no reason to get aftermarket exhaust. Its money better spent elsewhere. I have always been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. My Nomad starts and gets me where I want/need to go without a "special exhaust sound" or a few added HP that cost several hundred $. I'm as much as a performance nut as the next person, but I have nothing to prove on the street. I also know that the extra oomph MAY help in certain situations as does training and experience. I will do safety upgrades to make the bike more visible on the street.

I am not a believer in "loud pipes save lives". Having commuted 100 miles a day (cage), loud pipes are usually not heard until next to a car and a driver can be startled by the sudden sound and may steer the car in reaction. Have seen it. Kind of like hearing an emergency vehicles siren and not knowing where its coming from. Car stereos, phones, kids, video players, make it difficult for cagers to pay attention to whats going on outside their steel cocoon. Sure, it MAY help, but thats just opinion. I will trust my riding and observation skills over loud pipes any day.

Answer to your question: Stock pipes

JMHO, Whatever that is worth.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Stock pipes or not?

Thanks, everybody!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #8

Stock pipes or not?

I have had my days of straight pipes and loud aftermarket pics, I like the stock just fine

Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Stock pipes or not?

http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/l...save_lives.asp

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #10

Stock pipes or not?

As anyone who has been on here for long can tell you, I HATE LOUD PIPES. They make no sense. Loud pipes do NOT save lives. Most of the noise is BEHIND you.
There , that being said, I have the debaffled stock pipes. They are a little deeper rumble than stock. Just the way a bike should sound.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #11

Stock pipes or not?

I have Cobra True Duals. Not my fav but they would probably be right uup your alley. I have heard just about every pipe available for the Nomad and these I consider the "touring pipe" of all the pipes available. They are quiet at idle. You know they are there when your pulling a long hill or on the throttle, but they settle down nicely on the road. I actually am getting ready to get rid of mine for something else, but they sould like they would be good for ya.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Stock pipes or not?

Jamiep:

I purchased a new '08 Nomad about a month ago, so I can understand your anticipation. The first modification I did was to 'debaffle' the stock exhaust. It's a simple modification to do, and there are at least a couple different videos on YouTube showing you how to do it.

If you are absolutely positively set on having something louder/different, debaffling your stock exhaust is by far the cheapest thing to try. I am happy with mine, and likely won't be purchasing any aftermarket exhaust for sometime. But, not everybody likes a debaffle job, either.

If you get a set of true dual exhaust, you'll get rid of that black box under the bike, which some feel cleans up the look of the bike a bit. Once you debaffle your stock exhaust, it (the exhaust peices) may prove more difficult to sell, if you ever decide to do so. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #13

Stock pipes or not?

The stock pipes are good if you like quiet, which is my preference. I've debaffled my last two bikes and wasn't all that impressed with the sound, but my Nomad came with the V&H baggers. I like them - not too loud until you romp on it.

Look into replacing the horn as your first order of business. The stock horn is weak, especially when you're out on the freeway with all the road noise of other vehicles.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT