Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #1

Russell Day-Long Seat - First & Second Rides

Well I just got back from my first ride of the year, and more importantly first ride with the Day-Long seat. Temps got up to 14C (57F), roads are dry so not too bad for this time of year. Lots of snow in the ditches though, kind of weird riding a bike with all that snow right beside you.

I was hoping the Day-Long would fix the problems I have had with the stock and Mustang seats and I think it did just that. I was very happy with the first 90 miles. I never had any of the usual pain that would start creeping up by the time I hit 60 miles and almost unbearable by 90 miles. The seat is a winner I think, and should only improve as it gets broken in.

The way they build the seat is great, you take some specific pictures that they need, and give them the measurements and they build a seat based on that. The end result for me was a more comfortable riding position for my legs, and even an improvement for handlebars based on the way I sit now. I sit about the same height as I did on the Mustang seat when I had the AirHawk cushions on as well. Just a note, I do not work for RCP, in case it sounds like I do...

The backrest is very nice. I need to adjust it a bit, but overall it was very good for the first try.

The seat takes a bit of getting used to, it is much wider than the stock or Mustang, and when stopping at lights, it actually is pushing into the back of my legs when they are down, but that is minor, by the time I was home I had stopped at maybe 8 sets of lights and was more or less used to it.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Thats one sweet looking seat Cory. I bet it is comfortable on the long hauls. More importanly how much does it all cost?? I am either going Mustnag or this deal. ENJOY bro.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I too was going to go with a Russell's, but when I took the backrest off my Mustang seat and cozied up to my GF it got a whole lot better. Even when I am riding solo it is much better without the backrest. I am sure that a Russell's would make it even more comfortable, but I'm happy with the way things are now.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #4

How does your backseater feel with the backrest? Crowded at all? I was looking last night at Russells.8-)

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #5

For now, I'm happy with the $140 it cost me to mod the stock seat at Mean City Cycles. But if I ever go all the way, I'm looking at Russell.

Keep us posted on how you like it once the newness wears off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Thats one sweet looking seat Cory. I bet it is comfortable on the long hauls. More importantly how much does it all cost?? I am either going Mustang or this deal. ENJOY bro.
I am hoping it hold for the long hauls, that was the problem. I think with the driver/passenger, RCP backrest, backrest pouch, and rain cover it was somewhere in the $1000 range. I honestly am not sure, it all kind of got lost in the Canadian dollar exchange and shipping was more as well. A lot to spend on a seat, but I could not take the others anymore, so it was a seat or a new (different) bike. I liked everything else about the Nomad, so went with the seat. All their pricing is on-line at the RCP site

Quote:
How does your backseater feel with the backrest? Crowded at all?
The backrest may be an issue, not sure yet. We sat on the bike when I installed it and with the backrest pouch on, the pouch is not really usable, without it, the fit is a bit tight. I may move the Tour Pak back a bit to gain a bit of room as long as she is still on the main part of the seat. I also have the move the backrest forward a bit which will also help. We are trying to get on the bike tomorrow if the weather holds...supposed to snow again by Sunday, but tomorrow is supposed to be mid 50's.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #7

Wow, that looks like an awesome seat! Yes, please keep us posted on how you like it after a few more miles.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #8

Hi Cory,
Just got a Day-Long seat myself. Looks like exactly the same arrangement as yours. Also, the Scootworks rack and large trunk. Trunk is out being painted, but the seat is mounted.
Haven't taken it for a ride yet, but sitting on it in the garage it seems like it will be very comfortable. However, also trying to figure out what to do with the backrest when 2-up. Little tight for her right now. Will mount the trunk as far back as possible to see if that helps. Also built a small wooden block with an L-bracket that I can slip behind the backrest support. The L-bracket pushes against the top of the holder for the backrest in the passenger seat and pushes the backrest forward a couple of inches. Helps, but even that is still snug unless I tilt the backrest all the way forward. Continuing to experiment.
Might just be that I only use the backrest when solo. Either way, the seat seems great and I think would be very comfortable on a long trip even without the backrest. Can't wait for a little more of the sand and salt to wash away.
Will be interested to hear your assessment after a few more miles. They say 500 - 1000 miles to break it in.
Tom

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #9

Great review, strobe. I'm just having a hard time getting past that $800-$900 price tag. Glad it's working for you.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 03-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Great review, strobe. I'm just having a hard time getting past that $800-$900 price tag. Glad it's working for you.
Took me almost a year to get past the price, but two trips we did last summer did me in. After a couple 350 mile days in some pretty hot weather in the rockies, I could not take it anymore. I was exhausted from the heat, and so uncomfortable, it was insane. The lack of comfort was making me push harder to get to the destination, and that is never a good thing.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm
Hi Cory,
However, also trying to figure out what to do with the backrest when 2-up. Little tight for her right now. Will mount the trunk as far back as possible to see if that helps. Also built a small wooden block with an L-bracket that I can slip behind the backrest support. The L-bracket pushes against the top of the holder for the backrest in the passenger seat and pushes the backrest forward a couple of inches.
It is a little tight for us too. I was thinking about doing the block as well, but thought that would also move the top of the backrest a bit too far forward making me uncomfortable, but may give it a try. There is a bit of lower back support 'built in' to the seat with the way the pillion seat sits over the rider seat.

When I ordered the seat RCP said the backrest is more designed for solo, and there is a note on the site about minimum seating length for it to work 2 up, the Nomad is marginal when you check that measurement. We are going to try and get out today I think for the first time 2 up with it.

I mounted my trunk quite a ways back already on the Scootworks rack, and I am still going to make an extension for the rack to better support the rear of the trunk, but going to wait until we know for sure where we want the trunk to sit. The racks seem to want to mount the larger trunks too far forward IMHO.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #12

I have had a Russell Day-Long Seat for over a year now. It is by far the best investment I have made in my Nomad. My wife loves her seat as well as the backrest. The folks at Russell were able to manufacture a pocket on the back of the backrest for storage.
We can easily take a day long ride with no discomfort.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #13

Please update us after a few rides. I will be taking the pictures soon and sending my order in as soon as I find out the exchange value of another seat to shoes and/or handbags

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
Please update us after a few rides. I will be taking the pictures soon and sending my order in as soon as I find out the exchange value of another seat to shoes and/or handbags
I think mine cost me a bike for my wife...and a new helmet....jacket....boots....hmmm, I may have gotten the short end this deal...

We are heading out in a few minutes for hopefully 150 or so miles to check out the 2 up riding. Will let you know how that goes, we have an intercom so I will know quickly...
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #15

We rode about 170 miles today, as non stop as we could, with the sole purpose of testing out the seat. We made one fuel stop for maybe 5 minutes to top off the tank and made it home with no discomfort at all from being seated on the bike. My wife had a sore back, but that is more the location of the Tour Pak (too far forward) than anything else I think. Will be modifying that mount tomorrow, but supposed to snow, so may not be riding for a few days again now.

Seating was a bit tight for the wife, so think I will try the block that tomm mentioned to free up a bit of space.

I adjusted the backrest for a bit this time and that really helped my overall impression as well, the back support was very nice when it is in the right place.

Still very happy so far with the seat.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389