Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Lowering the Nomad

I have a new '09 Nomad. It is much heavier than my last bike and will take getting used to. Is it possible to lower it an inch or so?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #2

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Lowering the Nomad

I lowered mine with Progressive 440's from https://www.onestopmoto.com . I got the 11" and I must let you know it is very low. I'm thinking about lowering the front because the steering is to aggressive at low speeds. HD Shock Options:11.0" Heavy Duty (Black) - P/N 440-4231B] thats the part number and you have to order for a 1500 Vulcan Classic. And one other thing, you have to shim the top shock mount with three 14mm washers per side.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Lowering the Nomad

I haven't lowered my Nomad since i JUST bought it, however i did lower my vulcan 1500 classic using progressive rear shocks and spring kit for the front. As far as the 1500 went not only did it lower it but it also handled better after switching to the progressive setup.
I am contemplating lowering the Nomad but have heard that it scrapes VERY EASILY in the corners after lowering. Of course living in florida i don't have to worry about corners too much...LOL

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #4

Lowering the Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl
I haven't lowered my Nomad since i JUST bought it, however i did lower my vulcan 1500 classic using progressive rear shocks and spring kit for the front. As far as the 1500 went not only did it lower it but it also handled better after switching to the progressive setup.
I am contemplating lowering the Nomad but have heard that it scrapes VERY EASILY in the corners after lowering. Of course living in florida i don't have to worry about corners too much...LOL
Do you go by taz on the delphi vulcan forum? If so, I've seen your 1500 before. About 3 years ago you organized a lunch ride to Gator Joe's on Lake Weir. That bike was gorgeous! Yellow, if I remember. IIRC, Sam from Birmingham came down for lunch on her FJR? ST? Can't remember which. If you're not that taz, then just ignore what I just wrote! LOL

Barry

Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Lowering the Nomad

It will scrape easily if you lower it closer to the ground, You may be better off cutting a bit of foam out of the seat.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Lowering the Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynfla
Quote:
Do you go by taz on the delphi vulcan forum? If so, I've seen your 1500 before. About 3 years ago you organized a lunch ride to Gator Joe's on Lake Weir. That bike was gorgeous! Yellow, if I remember. IIRC, Sam from Birmingham came down for lunch on her FJR? ST? Can't remember which. If you're not that taz, then just ignore what I just wrote! LOL

Barry
Barry, Hey, yep I'm the same Taz. I traded my 1500 in on the Nomad in my sig pic a little over a month ago. I was actually going to add a pic of my old bike to my sig pic when i get home tonight. We're actually going to be heading over to gator Joes again on the 17th of May.
How have you been, if I remember correctly don't you live over near the west coast of florida?
Here's a pic of my old bike...

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #7

Lowering the Nomad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynfla

Barry
Barry, Hey, yep I'm the same Taz. I traded my 1500 in on the Nomad in my sig pic a little over a month ago. I was actually going to add a pic of my old bike to my sig pic when i get home tonight. We're actually going to be heading over to gator Joes again on the 17th of May.
How have you been, if I remember correctly don't you live over near the west coast of florida?
Here's a pic of my old bike...
Well, it's good to hear from you, Taz! Yep, I live in Tampa. Good memory, my friend. Are you posting anything about the lunch on here or just on the Vulcan forum?