Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #16

So..It happened.

[quote=Top Cat (TC) ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cajunrider ":b9dmax3y
Jandi, I can understand that you were in a serious bind for nearly an hour. I think that most of us on here have dropped the Nomads while making slow maneuvers or while stopping and putting a foot down on sand or loose gravel. I've dropped mine on 3 separate occasions. Once while attempting a full locked right hand U-turn in my driveway and grabbing the front brake, once putting a foot down in loose gravel, and another backing down a steep incline parking spot onto a flat street. My feet didn't reach the ground when the back tire hit the level pavement and the front wheel was still on the incline. The first two drops were with my wife on the pillion seat. That really built her confidence in my riding skills. Don't feel too bad or embarrassed about the ordeal. As an old member used to say, "There are those who have dropped their bike and those that will". Take care.
Now that made me laugh out loud Mitch. [/quote:b9dmax3y]

It aint funny Tim! :(" title="" border="0"/>

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #17

So..It happened.

Glad you are OK but I am a little confused. If you don't have your feet on the boards at slow speed where should they be?

Don't feel bad. I have a good friend that owns 5 bikes and was a professional motocross rider. He rides an ST1300 at speeds I would never ride. In the 2 years I have ridden with him he has dumped his bike at slow speeds (less than 20 mph) 3 times. Life happens.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
So..It happened.

When my bike dropped it messed up the left mirror and bent the clutch lever and scratched both left side crash bars. I replaced the rear crash bar ($90 plus) left mirror and clutch lever (About $90) for both. Those crash bars are expensive.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
So..It happened.

Also got trapped by my bike backing up one day...pinned my leg between the handlebars and tank....could not move. Luckly, broad daylight, parking lot and others around. Felt like an idiot...Also dropped it one day after forgetting to put down the kickstand...just so happened that our riding group was being filmed for a TV program....they were kind to me and cut it out of the final. Glad you are OK...and living in Germany I know exactly what kinds of roads you are talking about. Be safe.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #20

So..It happened.

Hallo Jan,

Ja dat is schrikken he! Daar lig je dan met je motor op de grond, snel om je heen kijken of niemand het gezien heeft.

Mij is het in de afgelopen 5 jaar 2x overkomen. De eerste keer in Italie, ik was in de buurt van het Levicomeer een heel smal bergpadje opgereden, steeds smaller en smaller! Op een gegeven moment gelukkig een breder stuk waar ik de motor dacht te keren.

Je knippert met je ogen en je ligt op de grond te zwemmen, gelukkig viel de motor naar links anders had ik hem 400 meter lager in een afgrond op kunnen rapen. Heel erg geschrokken en op enkele schaafwonden aan knieen en enkels verder geen schade.

De tweede keer stond ik stil en had al zittend op het zadel met iemand een praatje gemaakt, helemaal in de overtuiging dat de standaard uit stond liet ik de motor naar links zakken en eh!!!! daar lag ie! Ik zelf lag 4 meter verder op, je maakt de raarste capriolen om maar niet onder de motor terecht te komen. Gelukkig deden ook toen de valbeugels hun werk voortreffelijk.

Ik heb nu een VN2000 Classic die ik als Classic Tourer heb opgebouwd, dus inmiddels ook weer valbeugels.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jan Talmon
Bergambacht
Nederland

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #21

So..It happened.

The first weekend I had my Nomad, my SCRC club was doing one of its Ride Like a Pro practices and I wheeled the Nomad into the 12' circle that my old C50 had no trouble with. I found out what happens at 0 mph speed when leaned over. I got to buy a new clutch lever but the rear crashbar was cushioned by landing on the side of my heel. That heel was very tender for several weeks. Since everybody was watching, it was even more fun.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #22

So..It happened.

This spring I got off my 86 Honda Shadow 1100 to get on my 07 Nomad. In my 24 yrs of riding my Honda I never dropped it. I don't think I will be able to say the same thing about the Nomad. Much more difficult to maneuver at slow speeds. If (when) I do drop it, I can see I will join some very good company!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #23

So..It happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman
Hallo Jan,

Ja dat is schrikken he! Daar lig je dan met je motor op de grond, snel om je heen kijken of niemand het gezien heeft.

Mij is het in de afgelopen 5 jaar 2x overkomen. De eerste keer in Italie, ik was in de buurt van het Levicomeer een heel smal bergpadje opgereden, steeds smaller en smaller! Op een gegeven moment gelukkig een breder stuk waar ik de motor dacht te keren.

Je knippert met je ogen en je ligt op de grond te zwemmen, gelukkig viel de motor naar links anders had ik hem 400 meter lager in een afgrond op kunnen rapen. Heel erg geschrokken en op enkele schaafwonden aan knieen en enkels verder geen schade.

De tweede keer stond ik stil en had al zittend op het zadel met iemand een praatje gemaakt, helemaal in de overtuiging dat de standaard uit stond liet ik de motor naar links zakken en eh!!!! daar lag ie! Ik zelf lag 4 meter verder op, je maakt de raarste capriolen om maar niet onder de motor terecht te komen. Gelukkig deden ook toen de valbeugels hun werk voortreffelijk.

Ik heb nu een VN2000 Classic die ik als Classic Tourer heb opgebouwd, dus inmiddels ook weer valbeugels.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jan Talmon
Bergambacht
Nederland
I think my computer is messed up. It seems to be speaking a foreign language.
Not only that but when I hit spell check it started smokin'
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #24
Advanced Member

So..It happened.

According to Babel Fish

Hello Jan,

Yes that is be scared he! There you lie then with your engine on the ground, rapidly gone look at themselves if has seen nobody. Me is the 5 years 2x past in happen. The first time in Italy, I in the buurt of the Levicomeer complete smal bergpadje had been opgereden, always narrower and narrower! At a moment given fortunately a broader piece where I thought the engine of turning. You blink with your eyes and you lie swim on the ground, fortunately the engine to left differently I him fell 400 meters lower in an abyss on would have been possible picks up. Very a lot been scared and on some plane wounds to knees and ankles further no damage. The second time stood I quietly and already sitting on the saddle with a someone chat had made, entirely in the conviction that the standard from stood I let the engine fall to left and eh!!!! there lay ie! I myself lay 4 meters further, you make the strangest capriolen but to arrive not under the engine. Fortunately also then the fall clamps did their work excellently. I have now VN2000 Classic which I Tourer as Classic, therefore meanwhile also fall clamps have built.
Kind regards,
Jan Talmon
Mount craft industry
The Netherlands

At least it got you closer..........

Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #25

So..It happened.

Quote : Glad you are OK but I am a little confused. If you don't have your feet on the boards at slow speed where should they be?

I think spreading out legs is the best option,that way one will not be trapped when dropping.
From now on that's my way for anything below 5 mph,just to be on the safe side.
But it might look rediculous to others,NOT being Nomad riders...that is.

Quote : This spring I got off my 86 Honda Shadow 1100 to get on my 07 Nomad. In my 24 yrs of riding my Honda I never dropped it. I don't think I will be able to say the same thing about the Nomad. Much more difficult to maneuver at slow speeds. If (when) I do drop it, I can see I will join some very good company!!

I do agree the Nomad is more problematic to maneuver than any other bike ever owned.
On the other hand I never had such a heavy bike to deal with.
So..for me it's a combination of both I guess it will become easyer to handle in time.

Quote : you make the strangest capriolen but to arrive not under the engine. Fortunately also then the fall clamps did their work excellently. I have now VN2000 Classic which I Tourer as Classic, therefore meanwhile also fall clamps have built.

Nice translation..sounds like English Koeterwaals to me.
But..it's true..one can't do without the crashguard it's very practical on these heavy machines.
As for the 2000 monster bike..I actually saw one live for the first time a couple of days ago
at the Mammoet motorshop in Haastrecht,beautiful beast..no doubt.
Sure would like to know about the go juice consumption of that one.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
I did'nt realize so many riders dropped their bikes.
Now I do...greetings from Holland.
Ride SAFE!!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #26

So..It happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman
Hallo Jan,

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jan Talmon
Bergambacht
Nederland
Hi guys!

My replay is written in the Dutch lanquage, because jandijkgraaf (the autor of this thread) is an dutchman to.

(just to see what happens) It's very funny to see what a translation engine get out of it.

So, it happened in the past 5 years 2 times to me (fell down with the bike)
The first time in Italy moving up a hill on a very small lane. The second time at home, sitting on the saddle I had a conversation with my neighbour, after 5 minutes I lean the bike to the left! And could I easily clean the underside of my ride. FORGOT the jiffy

Both times the engine guards works great.

Greetings
Nomadman

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #27

So..It happened.

Hey..Nomadman..I put this in English so the American friends can have their way..
Is it possible to meet you one day at the mammoet?
I did'nt knew the place Bergambacht..looked it up on the map,and learned you're very close
to both Rotterdam and Haastrecht,so I figure you are familiar with that shop.
You know..I would like to see your bike and have a little shat about it.
I'm sure people there will give us a cup of coffee..nice people there.
So..hope to see you there..one day.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #28

So..It happened.

I just got back from Eureka Springs AR where I dropped my Nomad not once but twice. Both times while doing a slow turn around on an incline. I was never trapped but now have a few character marks on the fairing. This was later in the day when I was tired and the Nomad sure is heavy.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #29

So..It happened.

dropped - yes
trapped - no
thrown - yes

Glad your OK!
I also know what it is to be laying in the road unable to move and wonder when the next car will finish you off.....

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #30

So..It happened.

Quote : I just got back from Eureka Springs AR where I dropped my Nomad not once but twice. Both times while doing a slow turn around on an incline. I was never trapped but now have a few character marks on the fairing. This was later in the day when I was tired and the Nomad sure is heavy.

Dropped twice in one day when tired I can understand,that's why I always make a stop
every hour when possible,never Bob till I Drop.
Sorry about you damage..but now your bike tells a story..and has ..uh..character.

Quote : Glad your OK!
I also know what it is to be laying in the road unable to move and wonder when the next car will finish you off.....

That's exactly what it felt like...or maybe better said...when the next car would kill or save you.
I had 45 min to think about that,in the end I felt ready to say a prayer to Kawasaki HEAVY
Industries asking for help..lol..