Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Kawi Premium Audio System

Does anyone out there have the Kawasaki Premium Audio System (Part # K10400-024) on their Nomad? If so:
1) How do you like it? Is it easy to operate the handlebar controls?
2) Do you have an iPod connected to yours? Looks like one can be connected if you get the optional connecting cable.
3) Looks like it outputs to a rider headset. Could it be run through an amp and to speakers that I've got mounted in the fairing?

Here's what I'm thinking. I already have an AM/FM radio in my fairing, but I hate the fact that the controls are not that easy to reach and not the safest while riding. The handlebar mounted controls would be much better in my opinion. So if I replaced the existing radio with the Kawi system, I'd have room to mount an amp in the fairing where the radio is now (and upgrade the speakers while I'm at it) and have a much slicker audio system.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I don't know of anyone who has bought one of those overpriced sound systems for the Nomad. The controls on the handlebars would be nice, but not worth the price, as far as I'm concerned.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

What CJ said. We looked at those when they came out last year and decided that they were waayy to spendy. Besides if I recall they take up a bunch of room in one saddlebag.

If you ride with a helmet you might conside a J&M CB with a XM or Sirius radio plugged into it. Nice tunes, news, old time radio and communications all rolled into one.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #4

Get a stereo with a small remote that you can mount on the handlebar either L or R side. That should solve your problem without spending a pile of cash on the Kawi unit.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Advanced Member

What Ring said! My last updated stereo was $189 bucks Canuck - 208 watts 4 channel Pioneer. I extended the output diode so that it sits right in front of radio so no matter where I put the remote the signal gets to the radio. works like a hot damn. - 40 here this morning with wind chill!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input Guys! I'll have to check out some other options over the winter. May have to have a look at your setup rewindgy.

What got me thinking about the Kawi system is that I spotted one on ebay with a starting bid of $325 and no bids on it so far. If I guy could get it at that price ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
[size=100:lzw6cu5o]- 40 here this morning with wind chill![/size:lzw6cu5o]
Yeah, a little nippy. I don't think that I'm going riding today. How about you?

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider
Thanks for all the input Guys! I'll have to check out some other options over the winter. May have to have a look at your setup rewindgy.

What got me thinking about the Kawi system is that I spotted one on ebay with a starting bid of $325 and no bids on it so far. If I guy could get it at that price ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
[size=100:rvnfgug2]- 40 here this morning with wind chill![/size:rvnfgug2]
Yeah, a little nippy. I don't think that I'm going riding today. How about you?
Well if you can find one at a reasonable price, then it may be worth doing. As Idaho mentioned, it would eat up considerable space in one of your saddlebags, though.

I have a fairing with a JVC stereo in it and while the handlebar controls would be nice, I can get by with it as is.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #8

I have a JVC KD-AR870 head unit that came with a wireless IR remote. I made a bracket and attached it to the left mirror mount. Later, after adding the Audiovox cruise control, I made a new bracket that holds both controllers. The KD-AR870 is no longer made, but they make newer versions. The feature I like the best is, right on the face there is a USB plug. I just load up music on the thumb drive, plug it into the face of the stereo, and good to go for a long time. The remote works great (as pictured) and works all the functions of the stereo, even with the weatherproof cover closed. Just another option to consider. ;)

I left out, about once a year I do have to replace the battery in the remote, but it is easily found at just about any drug store, wally world, etc.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Anytime Canuck Rider - there is nothing special about it! Just a stereo in a fairing with speakers.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

I have it. When I got my bike I purchased it from the dealer (full price). Took the dealer a full day to install, had to disasemble half the bike. Radio outputs into helmet speakers. Pros: Handlebar control is nice, doesn't take up much room in saddle bag. Cons: Cost, WB doesn't pick up channels, cost, does not output to speakers (which is what I want).
Any suggestions on how to convert to handlebar speakers would be appreciated. I am not very mechanical but can follow simple directions.
Thanks

Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #11

bought a pioneer stereo installed in reckless fairing it came with remote I found a cell phone holder that the remote fit fairly close put velcro on back of remote and in the holder I drilled a hole though he holder and got a longer bolt
for the one on the speedometer at the back I can take the remote out and put in bag or leave it depends on where you are will try to get pics tommorow

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #12

I bought my bike used with it. I have not used it yet as I mainly ride with half helmet. I contacted Kawi and they gave me the contact info for the company that makes it. After a few emails back and forth, they finally told me which wires to use to connect an amp to drive the speakers.

My faring is on order. I will have an amp inside the faring with a switch for the power if I don't want to use the speakers. I will have 6 x 9 speakers in the faring.

Mine has the ipod interface and I plan on mainly using my ipod for music.

I have already tried taping into the wires to the amp then to the speakers and it sounded real good.

Once my faring arrives and is painted I will post photos.
The actual radio unit is about the size of 1 1/2 cigarette packs.